BALDY - Archive of Mt. Baldy-related Discussions

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Tim

Post by Tim »

I think the source of the illegal thing might be from Dan Simpson's hiking page http://www.simpsoncity.com/hiking/baldy1.html
Or from Baldy Notch, walk down the dirt service road 3.6 miles to the trailhead. Some hikers take a big shortcut and hike steeply straight down the canyon under the main chair lift to the ski lift terminal. I've read that this is illegal, but the well-worn path indicates that it gets foot and bike traffic. If you decide to take this route, maybe it would be best to do it before or after ski lift hours.
He never mentions the source, though. Like the other posters, I've been up and down this way a few times during the summer and winter and all I've gotten are curious looks from the people riding the chairlifts. One time I was at the Baldy Ranger Station and the young lady there told some hikers they could hike up underneath the ski lift if they wanted too. Not sure how official that is, though.
RichardK wrote:Mt. Baldy is a pretty loose, informal, low budget operation. I can't imagine why they would care.
I was just going to say this too. Mt. Baldy is not like the other ski resorts. They're pretty friendly to hikers and climbers. During the winter I routinely walk along the ski runs to get to other terrain and ski patrol usually leaves me alone or just stops and says hi.
titanhangman

Post by titanhangman »

Last time I was at Baldy I rode the chair lift down with one of the party of three I was with. We looked down and our third guy was running down this very spot. He beat us down by at least ten minutes, and when we asked him about it he said the lift operator at the top told him about the trail. So, I guess the trail is not reserved for bikers although it would definitely behoove anyone to stay off the trail if you see them coming. I also dread the chair lift, and will be using this trail from now on when I do the backbone trail down.
Tim

Post by Tim »

simonov wrote: I would like to do some more self arrest practice this year as well as some glacier travel and rescue practice.
I think you took SMI's anchor/crevasse rescue class last year? Do you think it's worth it? I have all of the equipment and several books on the subject and was planning to just figure it out myself. Is it better to take the class or just practice with you guys?
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

simonov

Post by simonov »

Tim wrote: I think you took SMI's anchor/crevasse rescue class last year? Do you think it's worth it? I have all of the equipment and several books on the subject and was planning to just figure it out myself. Is it better to take the class or just practice with you guys?
To be honest, I think if a group of us, with our various skill levels and experiences, went up and spent a solid day on skills practice, it would be better than the class.

The class approached each subject in a rather perfunctory way, then went through drills. None of it was rocket science, but it's good to be out there in the field trying stuff for real. A group of folks, including people like Norma, for example, in a less structured environment would be able to share a lot of experiences and advice. Also, since there is rarely only one way to do something, it would be valuable to share what others have learned and what works for them.

Also it would be useful to ferret out bad habits and techniques.

One thing the class does provide is a disciplined framework. The instructor runs through the course and the drills and you have to do them. A group of buddies getting together might be tempted to fool around a lot more instead.

Something I have learned about skills training (winter mountaineering, combat shotgun, whatever) is that all the classes do is introduce you to concepts. You have to actually develop your skills on your own, outside of class. So really without the extracurricular practice, skills training is almost worthless.

Hence the desire to set up one or more sessions like this every season. Usually when we go up a mountain we are only interested in getting to the top, and rarely make time for practice. Skills practice should probably be something you specifically schedule, not something you try to squeeze in during your next adventure.
Nunc est bibendum
simonov

Post by simonov »

norma r wrote: i agree with Taco. just make sure it's after the rime ice missles have stopped falling and before the rockfall begins. i.e., that sweet spot a couple weeks after a storm and before warm temps make rockfall an issue.
I'm not worried about rockfall. I reckon we'll simply station Taco a few hundred feet away and all the rocks will head for him.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yeah pretty much.

And good points.
He219

Post by He219 »

norma r wrote: Mitch

you and Cy have pretty darn cool wooden ice axes. i'm gonna have to start shopping ebay for one.
Got your ticket right here, Norma!
;)

Swiss WWII era mountaineering axe

Couple it with some Klettereisen!
longcut

Post by longcut »

Hey everyone,
Brand new to the forums here. Looks like a great resource so far, I'm stoked to have folks to chat with about my home mountain range!

Anyway, I'm an avid hiker and Baldy is my local trail. Now it's covered in snow so I'm looking to develop some skills to get up there. Any other rookies or novices out there looking to meet up and practice, critique, etc?
I have microspikes and an axe so far, no other gear (yet).

Longcut
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

I would be up for a climb of baldy but I think you would need crampons to climb.
longcut

Post by longcut »

Yeah your probably right. Thats why i was interested in more of a practice session up in the bowl area. to climb baldy i probably need more practice and an experienced person to take me up there the first time.
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

If you could get a more experienced person I would love to climb with you. I've been up the bowl once this year but would love to go up again.
longcut

Post by longcut »

I'll post up when i get to that point. First i need to learn a few things though. i went up and practiced my self arrest for a couple hours. that was cool but i need to find faster slopes now to test properly.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

We may have a glacier travel training day (small group, not a clinic) sometime in the near future after we get a lot more snow. Might be a good time to get some other folks from the board to rally together and have a clinic aside from the glacier travel one some buddies and I are doing.
longcut

Post by longcut »

Yeah Taco, I would like that. If anyone else out there is interested in meeting on the mountain for some basic mountaineering clinics chime in please. I would definitely be interested.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Longcut, this is your chance... Kurt Wedberg with Sierra Mountaineering International is coming down this Saturday from Bishop to teach a snow skills class. normally all his courses are in the Mammoth/Bishop area. He rents crampons, helmets, etc. for a nominal fee.

check this link for a 20% discount through Meetup.com:
http://www.meetup.com/SoCal-Hikers-and- ... /15315801/

or go directly to the SMI website and look at instructional courses, snow travel:
http://www.sierramountaineering.com/

do this and you will take alpine mountaineering from an "interest" to a "skill." that is, once you have a course like this and lots of practice. it's supposed to snow next week so the timing is perfect for being able to use what you learned.
longcut

Post by longcut »

Norma, thanks for the heads up. that seminar sounds awesome but that kind of money is out of reach for me, thanks.
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

Taco wrote: We may have a glacier travel training day (small group, not a clinic) sometime in the near future after we get a lot more snow. Might be a good time to get some other folks from the board to rally together and have a clinic aside from the glacier travel one some buddies and I are doing.
Taco this sounds great! I would totally be down for a glacier travel clinic. If you need someone to help get people organized I'm you man. If not keep me posted for a clinic or climb anytime in the near future.
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

Also I'm going to try to make it to the snow travel corse sat thanks for the great tip!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

The glacier travel course is not my idea, nor my responsibility, I am just attending for a climb up Rainier to get some skills in line. I do not know if it will be an open invite course or not. Once the weather gets better (or worse, actually), details will be posted.
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

Im planning a baldy climb for mid march after this storm which should drop some good snow on the mountain. If you interested go to http://www.meetup.com/SoCal-Hikers-and-Peakbaggers/
michaetb

Post by michaetb »

I grew up hiking Mt. Baldy but just started getting into mountaineering so that I can hike it in the winter as well.

I have crampons, helmet, ice axe, trekking poles (Craiglist prices!!) and would love to some advice, tips or info about mountaineering in general and meet ups.

Thanks!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm sure we can get another trip going. Anyone else interested?
simonov

Post by simonov »

Taco wrote: I'm sure we can get another trip going. Anyone else interested?
Sure. My weekends are getting pretty crowded though.
Nunc est bibendum
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

heck yes! lets go climb! When should we go? There should be some nice snow because of this storm.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I'm also interested, but, like simonov, my weekends are getting a little tough, too.
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

Count me as strongly interested but yet to have to buy the gear. Weekends are my only time to play.

Any recommendations on crampons?
simonov

Post by simonov »

Dominik wrote: Count me as strongly interested but yet to have to buy the gear. Weekends are my only time to play.

Any recommendations on crampons?
I'd suggest you do a forum search on crampons, and bump any old threads with new questions. If you don't find what you're looking for, start a new thread in the Gear section.

Crampons is everyone's favorite subject.
Nunc est bibendum
QuestforBCM

Post by QuestforBCM »

If you have boots with a toe and heel welt i would highly recommend the black diamond sabertooth crampons if you need a strap only i would get the BD contact strap crampons.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Whatever crampons fit your boots. The Bowl and the routes most folks take in winter only require normal 10pt strap crampons.