2.16.11 - eaton visitor center to idlehour camp in the rain

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Got out to Idlehour in the middle of the showers yesterday. Talk about perfect weather! I think we saw 6 people over the whole 13 mile trek. Because of the rain, it was waterfalls galore. The manzanita near Idlehour was breathtaking too. Anybody ever camp out there before? Seems like a fun overnight destination.

TR is on my blog: http://pasadenahiker.wordpress.com/2011 ... ampground/
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Used to be a spooky dude who was living there. He's gone now, thank God.

The loop from Henninger to the Sam Merrill Trailhead through Idlehour is the best front country loop in the San Gabs. I like it better than even the various loops out of Chantry.

Only bad thing about Idlehour as a camp site is the freaking Poison Oak. Yuck.

HJ
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

That's what we're thinking... starting at Eaton and going through Idlehour to Inspiration Point and down to Echo, then Lake. That would be a funnnnnn hike me thinks.

I didn't see much poison oak there yesterday but perhaps I wasn't looking. Either way, thanks for the response.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

MattCav wrote: That's what we're thinking... starting at Eaton and going through Idlehour to Inspiration Point and down to Echo, then Lake. That would be a funnnnnn hike me thinks.
Yep. That's the one. There is a way through the neighborhoods too so that you don't have to drop all the way down to Altadena Drive to connect the two. In some ways, it's better to start at Eaton since they lock the gate at sunset. If you're running late, that locked gate is a pain.

There is a short cut called the Telephone Trail, but it's not for the faint of heart. The drop in is a bit challenging.

Looking back up the drop in.
MattCav wrote: I didn't see much poison oak there yesterday but perhaps I wasn't looking.
It's leafless (generally) this time of year. You have to be able to recognize it by color and pattern... Or a certain itchy feeling about 48 hours after the hike...

HJ
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Gorgeous! Love the quote about wet manzanita - too funny, and true!
simonov

Post by simonov »

Aye, wet manzanita is a rare treat. Only people who hike in the rain get to experience it.
Nunc est bibendum
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

You did it! Fun hike huh? The link up to Echo Mtn sounds rad, I'll have to do that fo sho!
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

I did! Thanks for the rec :-)