cucamonga wilderness permits?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

so i have yet to meet a person who has ever gotten one of these permits, even though theyre "required" for going up to icehouse saddle and beyond. has anyone ever been asked to display their permit? or been fined for not having one?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Never been asked to show mine or been fined (usually I have one!).
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Been up there many times and always get a permit. It's not that much trouble to get one. They put it on the board so I can pick it up in the morning.

Also, I never been asked to show the permit. Go figure...
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

thanks guys. ill give em a call later
i think tomorrow some of us are heading out of icehouse up to cuc, ont, buck, and the three t's. will post a TR.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I have encountered rangers asking for permits twice in the last 12 years. Even then, they were issuing field permits to those who needed one. If the visitors center is open, then I get one. If not, then I hike permitless. After all, there is no quota in the San G's. It's just a way of tracking visitation.
tarol

Post by tarol »

There is a quota when backpacking - not while dayhiking. I'd suggest getting a permit - if nothing else it lets FS managers know how many people are hiking in the wilderness and lets them better compete for limited funds for trail maintenance, wilderness rangers, trailhead facilities, etc.
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

I've always gotten one. They're super easy to get from the Baldy station.

Just call the day before and they will pin it on the board for you to pick up in the morning.

I've been up there at least 5 times last year and haven't been asked by a ranger for a permit, or even seen a ranger for that matter.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

A ranger was checking when I was there a couple of months ago.

Hey, Matt, be careful if you're going to do Ontario or any stretch of north facing slope. It could be very icy.

HJ
Illusive

Post by Illusive »

If I'm not mistaken according to matts blog he went last year. I blame tarol for reviving the thread. :mrgreen:

I also take part blame for re-reviving it as well
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

true dat. that was a few months back and twas a very fun hike. i'll prob wait til the snow goes away some before going to ontario and its friends again.
VermillionPearlGirl

Post by VermillionPearlGirl »

Ack, Baldy Station closes at 3:30 now? Just missed out getting a permit for tomorrow a.m., but this will probably be ok right? :)
VermillionPearlGirl

Oh, reading other old threads it seems they like always closed at 3:30, who knew? :)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

VermillionPearlGirl wrote: Ack, Baldy Station closes at 3:30 now? Just missed out getting a permit for tomorrow a.m., but this will probably be ok right? :)
The chances of a ranger checking for a permit on a Monday is somewhere between slim and none.

HJ
VermillionPearlGirl

That's what I was thinking, I'm just not usually a rule breaker :)
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

If, by some tiny chance, you actually encounter a ranger on the trail and they actually ask for a permit, then request a field permit.
VermillionPearlGirl

Alas, like always, I over-worry and it turns out fine :)

I had never been to Icehouse before (I generally avoid the places with people in them) and even pulling up at 5:15am, there were two other hikers taking off at the same time :) -- It's a nice hike!!

Going to try to go further than the saddle the next time. But y'know, with a permit :)