"Sanctum" Movie Night at Citywalk

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Went to see this new caving disaster flick with some friends Saturday night.

It scared me. I had nightmares. Not kidding.

A caving friend of mine (I do not cave, and now never EVER will. not for a million dollars) found it a little more hokey, and less scary, but still thought it was exciting.

Despite what the promotions lead you to believe, James Cameron only produced this movie - he didn't direct it. Which is kind of a bummer for the real director, who is quite good, but will get no attention for his work!

We didn't think the 3D was really necessary. There were some cool shots, but overall it has substance other than the 3D gimmick and underwater cinematography/special effects.

For adventure movies, I rate it somewhere between Verical Limit (godawful) and 127 Hours (excellent). It was more violent and graphic than I expected. I'd recommend it if you're into caving, diving, or just like to pay money be disturbed and stressed out on a weekend.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

cougarmagic wrote: For adventure movies, I rate it somewhere between Verical Limit (godawful) and 127 Hours (excellent).
But... but... Vertical Limit revealed to the world the essential link between serious mountaineering and copious amounts of nitroglycerine. 8)
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

AlanK wrote: the essential link between serious mountaineering and copious amounts of nitroglycerine. 8)
Yes this is true! Also, the great technique of getting a running start before leaping a 20' wide crevasse with an ice axe in each hand (to sink into the edge on the other side!)

And watching the snow leopards play from the comfort of base camp.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

But without Vertical Limit, we wouldn't know to CHECK OUR SAFETY or that a cam will walk out slowly and hold 2 people but not 3!
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

It's just too good not to share again:
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

cougarmagic wrote: It's just too good not to share again
Hahaha! Never caught that spoof.

I saw Sanctum opening night with a bunch of friends. We all agreed it was a little hokey. The review I thought nailed it best was, "3-dimensional cave, 2-dimensional characters."

Unfortunately our theater wasn't 3d so I still kinda want to see it again in 3d to see if it was any good.

We really really didn't need the hair-caught-in-rack scene to be that graphic
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

davantalus wrote: We really really didn't need the hair-caught-in-rack scene to be that graphic
Agreed!! I also thought maybe just one mercy drowning would have been enough.
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

cougarmagic wrote: I also thought maybe just one mercy drowning would have been enough.
Completely forgot about that! In unrelated news it's time to get my hair cut and recharge my headlamp batteries.

By the way, I read an amazing story a few years back about a cave diver. It's pretty long but well worth it - http://outsideonline.com/outside/featur ... haw-1.html
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Yipes. Tough read. I guess the end of the article (page 11) is omitted for some reason? When I click on page 11, it just displays page 1.

HJ
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Working links to page 10 and page 11. Their link parsing system is broken for double digit page number it would appear.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

davantalus wrote: Working links to page 10 and page 11. Their link parsing system is broken for double digit page number it would appear.
Ah. Thank you. A tough read, but an article worth finishing. Disregard what it says about ghosts. That part was dumb and misleading.

HJ