Ignorance and Hiking

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Measuring altitude with my altimeter got me to remembering about the first time I did a real hiking/backpacking trip back in 2004. Went to the Alps in western Switzerland and eastern Austria with an experienced hiking friend in mid summer, he had brought gear while I just brought myself and some clothes and, tennis shoes. I figured walking on a dirt trail doesn't require anything special!

Of course, there ended up being a snowstorm. Wasn't expecting that. Of course, I had no experience to make any sort of assumptions! So getting toward the top I was trudging through snow and wet feet, which I didn't really mind. The problem came when we ran into this:

The trail went 'bye-bye'.

And I'd say 40 ft down from that point, there was this drop-off:

So basically there was this 15 - 20 ft stretch with no semblance of trail that we had to cross on an icy slope. I had carefully made it across halfway and proceeded to slightly standup and pick up my pace, when my footing gave out and I started sliding!

I put my hands down so I was on all fours, but still was sliding. Now was wasn't sliding that fast, so my friend was able to grab on to my backpack to stop my momentum, and I was able to climb back up those few feet and make it across.

So yeah, those shoes weren't sufficient. Nice job by me.

Anyways I was reminded by my altimeter, and wondered what the elevation was. Being from Cleveland I never thought of this stuff before hiking out here, and now my impatience for wanting to do a lot of back range hikes sans snow has me waiting until it is actually warm enough again.

So behold the power of Google Earth and I find out that that whole mess happened at about 8500 ft. So I wouldn't expected that to happen in SoCal in July, but I supposed it could in Europe.

So I guess I'm still learning lessons from that hike. Which was pretty damn awesome... since I survived!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Way too close of a call there, bro! :shock:

Somtimes (if we survive) it's those close calls that really cause us to start learning and doing things more safely.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

We all learn somehow. I learned by slipping for a long time, and now I can't get enough of this whole "terrain negotiation/traction" hobby/sport/obsession. 8)
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

My first exposure to ice+exposure was 21 years ago in Yosemite. Hiked up to Glacier Point via the Panorama Trail. This was in May and it was snowing off and on but it wasn't accumulating and the trail was completely snow free. We decided to take the 4-mile Trail down and very near the top the trail crossed a gully which was covered in ice/snow for about 20'. Yikes. There were foot prints that formed about a 4" wide "ledge" which made us think "no problem" so we went across. Of course as I was taking the last step onto dry land my back foot slipped. Fortunately my front foot landed firmly and prevented me from falling down at least a few hundred feet of ice/snow/rocks.

At the time I didn't think anything of it (I was a serious noob) but it scares the shit out of me when I think back on the possibilities. Thankfully it only takes once to learn a lesson (unless you're a dim bulb), and hopefully you get the chance to apply the lesson the next time.
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Um yeah, I think if there is a time I get myself into that situation I might be better prepared!
Rick M

Post by Rick M »

Oh to be young again! My first mountain experience with snow was going up Mt San Antonio solo while in high school. Got a ride up to the village, hiked up the Bear Flats trail and thought maybe I could hike all the way up and finally hit soft snow above about 8,000' wearing suede chukka boots. When I summited, my feet were cold and wet and clouds were moving in. I thought getting to the ski lifts would be faster but when I got to Devil's Backbone the trail was now frozen solid. Moving very carefully when I got to the trees the trail was now covered with wind broken icicles from the trees and off I slid about 50' before grabbing a bush. Thought I was gonna die. Barely got to the lift (which was closed) and walked down the mountain in a freezing drizzle. I saved up my money and bought an ice axe, 85cm ash shaft, imported from Austria for about $15. I was now a "real mountaineer". :)
asabat

Post by asabat »

Rick M wrote:wearing suede chukka boots. ...I slid about 50' before grabbing a bush. Thought I was gonna die. ...I saved up my money and bought an ice axe...)
I too did some Sierra trips in chukka boots. To be really cool you had to wear striped bell bottom pants with them. But my scary trip I had real boots but just a broomstick climbing the north face of Whitney in spring snow. I broke the stick at Iceberg Lake and then decided to go over Whitney-Russell Saddle and up the north side to Whitney - partially on my hands and knees. I too bought a real ice axe after that trip.
Rick M

Post by Rick M »

asabat said
I too did some Sierra trips in chukka boots. To be really cool you had to wear striped bell bottom pants with them.
I got some "waffle stompers" after the chukka boots but used an old pair of my brother's navy wool bell bottoms after the Baldy trip in cold, frozen, wet Levis. My parents foot the bill for the chukkas cause I told them my Beatle boots wouldn't cut it on the trails. :)
Ever have any "Sierra Sneakers"?