2.4.11 - iron mountain hike over 15 hours...

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

its not a misprint. 15 hours. talk about a wild one!
I went up Iron with Mark, Jason, Victor, Chris, and myself. The whole report and write up can be seen here at my blog:
http://pasadenahiker.wordpress.com/2011 ... -mountain/

we started up the trail just after sun-up and finished the hike 5 hours after sundown. i think iron may be a one and done hike for me :-) kudos to mark and jason for making it out there, though, and for posting their t.r.'s on here. both guys are standup guys and fun hikers to get out with. hope to do it again sometime, but hopefully not this trail :-D
rokclimbr

Post by rokclimbr »

Outstanding adventure & TR! Would you say that an ice axe or crampons would be necessary at the elevation? Or is the snow pretty patchy at around 8,000 feet? Glad you made it down safe, sounded like quite the epic!
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Nah, no crampons needed at all. The snow was not a hindrance and was only on the flatter part of the summit area.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Welcome to Iron. 8)
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

MattCav wrote: its not a misprint. 15 hours. talk about a wild one!
Epic!

Convinces me my plan to hike out the evening before to Laurel Saddle the evening before and Bivy there is the right plan.

Tips from the blog...

• Bring headlamps
I favor the Petzl Myo XP

The various power settings extend battery life, & provide the right about of light when you need it.

• No cotton socks
"Cotton Kills" is the refrain. But there are many better low and hi tech fabrics out there. Cotton absorbs and retains moisture. Just plan unacceptable in mountaineering and other outdoor endeavors
  • Stay cool in dangerous situations
This cannot be over emphasized, loosing ones cool results in poor / rash decisions that lead to disaster

Again congrats on the epic trip... (and the tr)

Matt
asbufra

Post by asbufra »

Nice report. Epic stuff for sure, Thank you for posting.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Ouch. But exciting. And aren't yucca fun?

HJ
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

aren't yucca fun?
NO! :D

true story. i was talking to one of my coworkers about iron yesterday. he hiked it about 30 years ago and said that, on his way day, he met a lady who had slipped down one of the scree slopes. On the way down, her arm was gashed by a yucca, from the wrist to the crook of her arm. I could totally see that happening if someone was not careful.

And Matt, I agree with you 100%. The Myo is a good headlamp and cotton socks do have their place, but not on this mountain. 4/5 of us knew this going in but the other person learned a lesson that day :-) Hopefully his blisters aren't too bad.[/list][/code]
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Ouch. But exciting. And aren't yucca fun?

HJ
I usually cry Fucca!

But there are techniques to emerge unscathed (relatively) through "Yucca Havens"

Mostly they involve a carefully placed foot

I like them for handholds, grab a bunch of fronds and hang on! These are hard to pull out even when small and won't break off like oak or other brush

Matt
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote: I usually cry Fucca!
:lol:

HJ
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

MattCav wrote: The Myo is a good headlamp
Could just be bad luck, but I've seen two Myos die in the field. Both came loose where the power wire meets the front assembly. I'm a big fan of my Fenix HP10.
norma r

Post by norma r »

Congrats Matt! Now that you've got that one under your belt every other hike will be a piece of cake... of course unless you start, pushing the envelope in the vein of Zé or Rick Kent. 8)

I have only done Iron once and have wanted to go back since our day was in the clouds with light rain all day. Per my hikin' buddy, Dave G, it was the best trail conditions he's ever seen since the loose soil was firmer due to the moisture, but i did miss out on the views. If i remember correctly, we hiked back by the light of one headlamp too.

It's great when we learn tips from reading other posts, but the lessons we never forget are the painful ones we learn first hand. :twisted: Iron is unforgettable.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

norma r wrote: Congrats Matt! Now that you've got that one under your belt every other hike will be a piece of cake... of course unless you start, pushing the envelope in the vein of Zé or Rick Kent. 8)

I have only done Iron once and have wanted to go back since our day was in the clouds with light rain all day. Per my hikin' buddy, Dave G, it was the best trail conditions he's ever seen since the loose soil was firmer due to the moisture, but i did miss out on the views. If i remember correctly, we hiked back by the light of one headlamp too.

It's great when we learn tips from reading other posts, but the lessons we never forget are the painful ones we learn first hand. :twisted: Iron is unforgettable.
Iron is also good with very well consolidated snow. Firm enough that you don't post hole but not so firm that it isn't easy to kick step and plunge step. I find good snow to be easier than that loose crap that's usually there.

Matt, if it's any consolation, I've done a night descent of Iron too. Iron's a beast. Period.

HJ
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I hope to do a fast hike up Iron soon... gotta get me some new tires for my bike.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Thanks guys - it feels good knowing I'm not the only one who thought that hike was crazy. Funny thing was my legs felt great at the summit and I could have kept going. Yay for my training coming around!
AW~

Post by AW~ »

I'll get to Iron one of these days...its on 'the list'...hehehe.
Cy Kaicener

Post by Cy Kaicener »

Great trip report. Thanks for reminding me why I stopped hiking Iron Mtn in favor of Skyline where you can take the tram down. That descent is truly brutal on a tired body.