Bear Canyon Trail, 4-19-2008

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Today I attempted Baldy via BCT but turned around at 9400 feet because: (1) I hit my turnaround time, and (2) snow coverage which began at 9000 feet was 100% by 9400 feet. (Coincidentally, this was near the same spot where I u-turned last December when solid ice coverage was 100%.)

I counted six hikers on BCT today (including me). Only 3 made it to the summit, and I saw only ordinary boot prints in the hard-packed snow, so (as far as I could tell) those 3 reached the summit w/o crampons.

From my turnaround point I could see people standing on Baldy summit and hikers on DB trail.

Fern-covered Bear Flat was mowed crew-cut style. Looks different.

You remember that house being build on tall steel stilts? There is a big sign in front of it announcing an upcoming official variance hearing.

Today I noticed there is a BCT trail register box at the upper parking lot. Inside I saw no trail register -- only a pad of self-issuing camping permits.
Augie

Post by Augie »

Rob wrote:I counted six hikers on BCT today (including me). Only 3 made it to the summit, and I saw only ordinary boot prints in the hard-packed snow, so (as far as I could tell) those 3 reached the summit w/o crampons.
Risky business to persist on any of those trails on hard packed snow without crampons unless you can kick real solid deep steps. I remember rescuing a guy a couple of years ago on the ski hut trail about a half mile below the summit. He had slipped off the hard packed trail; fortunately, he only slid about 25 feet before he was stopped by a large bush. Had he gone below that bush, the mountain would have provided him with some serious health issues. I went down and hauled him up. Turns out he had a single crampon in his backpack (I didn't bother to ask the background to that situation). I sternly told him he shouldn't continue up without 2 crampons and fortunately he took my advise and turned around.