Angeles Crest Highway (CA-2)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
turtle

Post by turtle »

Taco wrote: It was closed about a mile east of Vincent Gap a few days ago...
IS CLOSED FROM 2 MI EAST OF THE EAST JCT OF I 210
WTF does that mean?
I assume they are trying to disambiguate between the two (offset) junctions of SR-2 with I-210. For a short (1 mile) stretch in La Canada, they are actually coincident with one another. From the western junction, SR-2 heads south from I-210 into Glendale.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Now there's someone who makes sense!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Taco wrote: We wanna get up there while the temps are low!
you'll never make it. just give up now

:wink:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hey, good on you for takin' those kids on a hike. :lol:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

also there is an Angeles Crest Hwy 'fan' page on failbook that gets a bunch of motorcyclists posting updates
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

It's a real good time for motorcycles! ;-)

Yeah, been watching that site.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for posting Ze.
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Any progress is good progress! Looks like they've been busy. :)
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

more good news:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 450S82.DTL

the end of the story mentions that the rest of the hwy should open next month! WOOHOO!

anyone know when/if the station fire forest closures will be officially? their website has no information at all and i've emailed them several times with no reply... ?
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

MattCav wrote: anyone know when/if the station fire forest closures will be officially?
The press release in which they constricted the restrictions gave the impression that we were looking at another year at the least. You could probably find that link in the news section here.
pio

Post by pio »

I am sure that the Caltrans engineers and the contractor will have the road open soon. Proably not as soon as some would like, but the highway has remained closed for safety reasons.

Unfortunately the reporter did not include that by "some features" I am meant that the crews were still working: removing mud, boulders, and clearing drains.

If you ever need any additional information call me at 213-897-3630. Though, I probably couldn't answer your question about global warming.
obie wrote: "Chandler said Caltrans plans to add some features to the repair work to prevent future rock slides."

The rumour kicking around the yard is that they'll move on to Global Warming once they wrap the ACH project.
pio

Post by pio »

By the way, I am Patrick Chandler.

pio wrote: I am sure that the Caltrans engineers and the contractor will have the road open soon. Proably not as soon as some would like, but the highway has remained closed for safety reasons.

Unfortunately the reporter did not include that by "some features" I am meant that the crews were still working: removing mud, boulders, and clearing drains.

If you ever need any additional information call me at 213-897-3630. Though, I probably couldn't answer your question about global warming.
obie wrote: "Chandler said Caltrans plans to add some features to the repair work to prevent future rock slides."

The rumour kicking around the yard is that they'll move on to Global Warming once they wrap the ACH project.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

pio wrote: By the way, I am Patrick Chandler.

pio wrote: I am sure that the Caltrans engineers and the contractor will have the road open soon. Proably not as soon as some would like, but the highway has remained closed for safety reasons.

And PIO = Public Information Officer?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

pio wrote: ... Proably not as soon as some would like, but the highway has remained closed for safety reasons.
[Rant]
Ahhh the old unspecified "safety reasons"

Caltrans is way over paid and painfully slow doing anything, that involves actual work

If I "worked" at Caltrans I'd be ashamed to cash my pay check.

Not that it really matters since the forest is closed

The only things I have a lower opinion of is the "forest service", and child molesting priests
[/Rant]
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mattmaxon wrote:
pio wrote: ... Proably not as soon as some would like, but the highway has remained closed for safety reasons.
[Rant]

Caltrans is way over paid and painfully slow doing anything, that involves actual work

The only things I have a lower opinion of is the "forest service", and child molesting priests
[/Rant]
Aw, c'mon, Matt, how do you really feel? :lol:

Let's not scare Patrick off. :wink: It might be nice to have reliable scoop from Caltrans on this site.

HJ
Layne Cantrell

Post by Layne Cantrell »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Let's not scare Patrick off. :wink: It might be nice to have reliable scoop from Caltrans on this site.
Patrick Chandler is the MAN - he tracked down the Angeles Crest page on facebook and started providing info for everyone unprompted, including his contact # so people could get the scoop straight from him.

Trying to get info from their website is like pulling teeth, so having a dude like PC show up and drop knowledge is pretty sweet.
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

Patrick is indeed the person that you want to talk to and get information from about Hwy 2 issues. Not a hit on the workers, but getting info from them or a friend of a worker is not usually that accurate. Unfortunately, that's what Newcomb's Ranch and Mt. Waterman do, and when a promised date by a worker goes by, they get all worked up.

Thanks for joining us here, Patrick. I know you are one who definitely does your job, above and beyond, and deserves your paycheck.
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

Matt, you seem especially cranky lately. Are you upset because Howard is gone and you don't have a lap to sit on anymore?

Slamming the agency continuously on a public forum you supposedly volunteer for/with (USFS) is something I'm sure they can do without, especially if you have such low respect for them, as you stated.

mattmaxon wrote:
[Rant]

[/Rant]
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

OK, uh, it's gettin' a little over the top here. I was teasin' Matt a little, but let's not start getting ugly, OK?

HJ
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Hikin_Jim wrote: OK, uh, it's gettin' a little over the top here.
HJ
Jim, we'd all like take the high road, but it's closed for repairs right now.

aaaaaand....snare drum.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

boooh...hissssssss
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

:lol:
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... amage.html
“This was a rockslide area exacerbated by the heavy rains. We’re working to remove a [potential] rockslide issue there by taking out a large section of the hill,” Caltrans spokesman Patrick Chandler said. “We’re looking at keeping the road closed until spring.”
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Well, thanks for the info although I wish it were better news.

HJ
pio

Post by pio »

Safety reasons include a rock slide at Browns Canyon and a compromised slope a half mile east of Browns Canyon. There is quite a bit of equipment and personnel on the highway. If you would like to see pictures, pleas send me an email at patrick_chandler@dot.ca.gov.

Please do not enter the closed section of the highway or forest, as you could be cited by law enforcement.

You might have missed qutie of the coverage in the local papers including the Pasadena Star. They took some pretty good pictures.

Additionally, Southern California received some of heavier than normal rains during the end of last year. Burn areas in the ANF are very likely to have debris slides more than what you might have seen in the past. Therefore the conditions in the burn area in the forest and weather could create more delays in the repairs to the highway.

If you have any other questions regarding the project, please feel free to let me know, as I am the Public Information Officer (PIO) assigned the project. My phone number is 213-897-3630.

mattmaxon wrote:
[Rant]

[/Rant]
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Thanks, Patrick. I'm impressed that you're really trying to get the word out. Now if only ANF would be so diligent.

HJ
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

pio wrote: If you would like to see pictures, pleas send me an email
Any chance you could just post them here?
pio

Post by pio »

davantalus wrote:
pio wrote: If you would like to see pictures, pleas send me an email
Any chance you could just post them here?
I can't speak for the ANF, you should visit the ANF's site. Just do a google search. Sherri Rollman and John Wagner are the Public Affairs officers and the main phone number is one the website.

Hopefully (I stress hopefully) that everything will go as projected. Folks the USFS, USGS, and Caltrans geologists and biologists have said that the forest's recovery could take 4 or more years. The health and stability of the forest will definitely affect the highway for quite a while.

Please pass my information on if you can.

Thanks for the kind words. Please do not hesitate to call me. 213-897-3630.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I don't know why, or for how long. Just reporting that today (Sunday 2/13) the gate was closed just past Buckhorn, near the old route down to Williamson Rock. So you can't get to Islip Saddle. :cry: