Baldy loop hike 3-21-08

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I parked at the Ice House Canyon lot and walked down to the Village. I took the Bear Flat Trail to the summit of Baldy and came back via the Ski Hut trail, closing the loop on the road. It was a beautiful, mild day and the summit wasn't even windy. There is still plenty of snow, mostly above about 8000'. It was generally firm -- neither ice nor postholing all day

Pictures
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice pictures there speedy. How did those Kahtoola Microspikes thingies work out?

Are pictures 39 & 43 the top of Big Horn Ridge?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

HikeUp wrote:Nice pictures there speedy. How did those Kahtoola Microspikes thingies work out?
I am getting to like those thingies. They sure don't do the job of crampons, but they go on and off easily and trails do seem less slippery. I think my appreciation of them may be a(nother) sign of creeping old age, though.
HikeUp wrote:Are pictures 39 & 43 the top of Big Horn Ridge?
Yes. I tried to get a few pictures of the ridge to add to the accumulating pile out there. I hope to find some time for labeling. :roll:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Cool. Thanks.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I did the hike again today. I admit I like this workout. The snow is definitely dwindling, but there is still some on Bear Flat above 9000' and plenty in the woods on the west side of the Bowl.
Pix
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

You must use caffeine! :wink:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

HikeUp wrote:You must use caffeine!
I didn't dare! There are drug testers at every trail head all of a sudden. I think there will be Senate hearings soon. They mean business. :lol:
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

Nice pictures!

I've never taken the Bear Flat trail, but the gain / mile looks great. How does the trail compare to the last 3 miles of Iron Mt?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

JMunaretto wrote:I've never taken the Bear Flat trail, but the gain / mile looks great. How does the trail compare to the last 3 miles of Iron Mt?
Given that you seem to like Iron, you would enjoy Bear Flat. It is definitely a fair bit easier than those last 3 miles of Iron, though. It is a nice hike with some great views in various directions. I have taken to making it a loop because I got bored going down the same way, but the out and back hike is just fine too.
Lance

Post by Lance »

Elevation gain on both is ~6k, but I think Bear Flat is 1.5 mile shorter (6 miles vs. 7.5 on Iron).

I found Bear Flat more of a steady, steep hike (with very few flat spots) while Iron has more varied terrain with quite a few up/down sections. Both are challenging, but IMO Bear Flat slightly edges out Iron in the ass-kicker dept. That said, I've only done Iron in mild weather and heard it is tougher in hotter conditions.

AlanK, I've only done Bear Flat as an out and back hike - never a loop. I like the idea of taking the boredom out of an otherwise great hike. How long does it take you to walk from IH Canyon to the Village?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Lance wrote:Elevation gain on both is ~6k, but I think Bear Flat is 1.5 mile shorter (6 miles vs. 7.5 on Iron).
Iron Mountain has a net gain of 6000', but the total is well over 7000'. There is a lot of up and down.
Lance wrote:I found Bear Flat more of a steady, steep hike (with very few flat spots) while Iron has more varied terrain with quite a few up/down sections. Both are challenging, but IMO Bear Flat slightly edges out Iron in the ass-kicker dept. That said, I've only done Iron in mild weather and heard it is tougher in hotter conditions.
I seem to always pick hot days to do Iron. :-)
Lance wrote:AlanK, I've only done Bear Flat as an out and back hike - never a loop. I like the idea of taking the boredom out of an otherwise great hike. How long does it take you to walk from IH Canyon to the Village?
It takes me about 20-25 minutes to get to the Ranger Station from Ice House Canyon. A nice little warmup before heading up. The road stretch from Manker Flat to Ice House is longer.

The real way to do the hike is to descend from Baldy to the Notch and then do the 3Ts. :D
Lance

Post by Lance »

The real way to do the hike is to descend from Baldy to the Notch and then do the 3Ts.
Would love to Baldy and the 3Ts. Let me know if you ever plan.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Lance wrote:
The real way to do the hike is to descend from Baldy to the Notch and then do the 3Ts.
Would love to Baldy and the 3Ts. Let me know if you ever plan.
Weren't you up there this last weekend? How about a trip report?
Nunc est bibendum
Lance

Post by Lance »

simonov wrote:Weren't you up there this last weekend? How about a trip report?
I had every intention of it - got the gear in the car Friday night, clothes laid out, food packed, etc. But my inner underachiever snoozed right through the 4AM alarm :evil:.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Lance wrote:I had every intention of it - got the gear in the car Friday night, clothes laid out, food packed, etc. But my inner underachiever snoozed right through the 4AM alarm :evil:.
Whoops! Well, at least I ventured into the San Gorgonio Wilderness for the first time in ten years: http://www.mtsanjacinto.info/viewtopic.php?t=808
Nunc est bibendum
Lance

Post by Lance »

Cool, looks like you and Cisco had a nice hike. Conditions look favorable for a pleasant camping weekend - enjoy!
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

Is the Bear Flat Trail clear of snow now? I am guessing it's gone for alot but don't know about the part where it makes that big right hand bend and beyond. AlanK. where are you? Help! Can you hike up w/o crampons and ice axe? Is it too dangerous to go the backbone? You know that part just before the backbone. if there is snow there. forget it.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

FIGHT ON wrote:Is the Bear Flat Trail clear of snow now?
There was still snow above about 9000' when I did it this past Monday. It is pretty well packed and care is required until one gets to about the closest approach to West Baldy.
Rob

Post by Rob »

AlanK wrote:
FIGHT ON wrote:Is the Bear Flat Trail clear of snow now?
There was still snow above about 9000' when I did it this past Monday.
Sounds like Bear Flat Trail is my best bet for a south-facing ice-free altitude hike above 8K' this Saturday (4/19/2008)?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Rob wrote:Sounds like Bear Flat Trail is my best bet for a south-facing ice-free altitude hike above 8K' this Saturday (4/19/2008)?
Iron #1 is 8007'!!! :wink:
Rob

Post by Rob »

HikeUp wrote:Iron #1 is 8007'!!! :wink:
I'm really tempted to join you on Iron, but I have a burning desire to field test my new Diamox prescription. In part, my trail choice will depend on how I feel when my alarm goes off in a few hours. :)