1.19.11 - devil's punchbowl

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Did the devil's punchbowl trail today (from south fork campground to the visitor center). total was about 8 miles. trail was in halfway decent shape, with some really sketch parts towards the east end of the hike, due to recent mudslides. saw probably 4 other people the whole hike. snow was hardly around and had no effect on the hike. conditions were between upper 40's and low 60's (depending on the part of the mtn we were on) with 15-20 mph gusts. Pretty nice day for a hike and I actually got a bit of January sunburn on my face :-)

full t.r. here: http://pasadenahiker.wordpress.com/2011 ... or-center/
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

This is a cool trail I haven't been on in years. Thanks for the reminder that it's out there. Nice cat track too!
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Hey CM-
Is that a cat track? We asked the ranger and he said it was probably someone's dog... but that explanation did not feel right and the direction of it seemed more in line with a kitty to me...
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

I think so, based on the lack of claws, the toe shape, the overall wide/round shape of the whole print, and the "direct register" (back foot landed on top of the track of the front foot - that's characteristic of a few animals, but not usually dogs.)
MattCav

Post by MattCav »

Thanks CM! I feel a bit better about my paw identification skills now :-)
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I still haven't been to the punch bowl, your trip report makes me want to get out there! Looks like a neat area. Thanks!