Devil's Backbone North Slope Up & Down

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Rick M

Post by Rick M »

Sorry for last minute thing. Anyone up for Devil's Backbone north slope snow/ice climb (maybe slush?) this FRIDAY, April 19? I'm thinking from Stockton Flats.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Hey Rick, did you mean Friday, April 18th or Saturday, April 19th?

I was planning to do either the north DBB or Harwood NF (from Manker Flats) this weekend.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I am free on Saturday, but have to be home around 8pm. I would love to take part.

Harwood NF is longer; further out.
Rick M

Post by Rick M »

Hi Tim & "Taco", I have tomorrow (Friday) available, the 18th. Sorry about that. If both of you have Saturday, I'll see if I can arrange that. How would you do DBB via Manker?
Tim

Post by Tim »

I was planning to go Sunday but I can switch to Saturday. I'm open to doing the DBB from either Manker or Stockton Flats. From Manker you'd have to hike up to the DBB from Baldy Notch then down the DBB and back up again. From Stockton it'd be a straight up and down. But I'd have to hitch a ride with you because I don't know if my sedan can make it down that road to Stockton Flats (I'm not familiar with that area at all).
Rick M

Post by Rick M »

Maybe if "Taco" doesn't have his new car yet we could use his (my truck has two flats and the honda probably won't make it much farther than the shooting area, if I can arrange Saturday and we go in via Stockton. Otherwise we could do it from the lifts. Where do you live? I'll let you know this evening if Sat is ok for me.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Cool, just let us know. I'm coming from the Riverside area. I have a Honda too and Taco busted a tire on his truck so most likely we'll have to start from MF. I don't mind going early in the morning either.
Rick M

Post by Rick M »

Hey Tim & Taco, I won't be able to make it either Sat or Sun :cry: because of previous comittments. And everyday I look up there I see it just melting away. You guys go safe and have a good time.
Tim

Post by Tim »

No problem. I don't think I'll be able to make it on Saturday afterall :(
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm still good on saturday, if anyone wants to go.

I can carry one person in my truck with me.

DBB from manker goes like this:
Up SAF Road (San Antonio Falls Road)
SAF becomes BALDY RD
Over Notch, take Baldy Rd down to Stockton Flats
Make turn WEST, follow towards Harwood NEF
Left turn, head up.

Here is a route page I put up from a while ago:
http://www.summitpost.org/route/267019/ ... 4-AI2.html

Parking at Stockton shaves a bunch of mundane walking off the tirp. (Big plus)

I might go up Harwood's North Face instead. Longer, funner approach, more stuff to look at.
FIGHT ON

Post by FIGHT ON »

I WOULD GO BUT TACO WOULD MAKE ME WEAR A HAT THAT SAYS "CAP LOCK MASTER" ON IT.