Baldy Ski Hut - 12/31/2010

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Decided to end the year in style and hike up to the Ski Hut. Cut me some slack, it's my first time on Baldy in winter conditions... baby steps. 8)

Now, I've hiked in snow before, but never quite this much. I think I can safely say that conditions were perfect.

The road up was relatively clear of traffic... just a little bit of a delay on the stretch before Manker with people playing in the snow, and only a couple icy spots.

The fireroad just past the gate was completely iced over, so I had my first opportunity to try out these guys:

Kahtoola Microspikes by Wattifoto, on Flickr

They've been the subject of a little bit of debate, but I was wildly impressed with them. I walked across the ice like it wasn't even there, and had no problems whatsoever with snow building up on them later in the hike when we were up to our knees in it. Despite the fact that you do have to re-center them from time to time, they get a 5-star rating from me without a doubt, and I saw at least two others on the trail wearing them too.

One we left the road for the actual trail, it was 100% snow, deep, and no ice or slush whatsoever. It was interesting to note how the winter route deviated a bit from the regular ski hut trail towards the end, as we approached the hut from the opposite side.

On our way up, we saw two people descending straight down the bowl (posters on this board, maybe?). While we're not ready for that kind of madness, I have little doubt that if we planned for it, we could have taken the standard way up the bowl and summited. Before trying it, though, I'd want an actual ice axe and some experience with it (rather than the collapsed hiking pole as a makeshift one, which proved to be more than sufficient up to the hut).

Regardless of how far up we got, what a way to usher in a new year. :D

Mt Baldy by Wattifoto, on Flickr

Baldy Bowl by Wattifoto, on Flickr

Ontario and Big Horn Peaks by Wattifoto, on Flickr

Descending by Wattifoto, on Flickr

Happy Climber by Wattifoto, on Flickr

More photos (and higher res) here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wattifoto/ ... 605085475/
Burchey

Post by Burchey »

Nice pics man! I was up there the day after, not so sunny (trip report to come). I saw a few folks rocking those footspikes as well.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Nice photos, mcphersonm80.

Just a word of warning: the Flickr Terms of Service require that you include a link back to the Flick photo page when hotlinking directly to an image file hosted by Flickr. This is easy to do using the "Grab the HTML/BBCode" menu item on the "Share This" drop-down menu at the upper left of each photo.

One of these days, maybe after Yahoo is acquired by Microsoft, Flickr will probably start enforcing this rule.
Nunc est bibendum
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

simonov wrote: Just a word of warning: the Flickr Terms of Service require that you include a link back to the Flick photo page when hotlinking directly to an image file hosted by Flickr.
Cool, thanks for the heads up, I didn't know that. :)
obie

Post by obie »

Thanks for the great pics.

I'd like to be on the snow someday on the Ski Hut Trail too. It would be cool if you keep posting what you learn and see on your way up...it's all very helpful.
jjpicts

Post by jjpicts »

[quote="They've been the subject of a little bit of debate, but I was wildly impressed with them. I walked across the ice like it wasn't even there, and had no problems whatsoever with snow building up on them later in the hike when we were up to our knees in it. Despite the fact that you do have to re-center them from time to time, they get a 5-star rating from me without a doubt, and I saw at least two others on the trail wearing them too.[/quote]

I also used micro spikes going up Ice House canyon all the way to Bighorn on Sat.. With the cold temps it was perfect conditions for the little guys. But on Tue. the 28th going up the bowl I used crampons and the ice axe. There were some patches of ice off the top that were so hard that even with crampons I had to place firmly on each step. They each have their advantages.
simonov

Post by simonov »

obie wrote: Thanks for the great pics.

I'd like to be on the snow someday on the Ski Hut Trail too. It would be cool if you keep posting what you learn and see on your way up...it's all very helpful.
https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=3276
Nunc est bibendum
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

jjpicts wrote: I also used micro spikes going up Ice House canyon all the way to Bighorn on Sat.. With the cold temps it was perfect conditions for the little guys. But on Tue. the 28th going up the bowl I used crampons and the ice axe. There were some patches of ice off the top that were so hard that even with crampons I had to place firmly on each step. They each have their advantages.
In your opinion, how tough would it be to go up the "regular" route via the ridge to the summit in the micros? A couple rocky sections come to mind (like just before the sign near the Hellcat wreckage) that I really don't know what to expect in winter... but overall, I can't think of any drop-offs too steep up that way that would present a major risk.
jjpicts

Post by jjpicts »

Well here's my two cents. It all really depends on conditions. If the snow is getting soft /wet then it's going to ball up under your micro-spikes and you'll be walking on snowballs. But if you have powder and Ice mixed in with rock then the little guys would do. Before Christmas a friend had to rescue and walk down with someone who slipped going up the Bear Flat trail in micro-spikes. The Guy only had hiking poles and so he couldn't self arrest until a tree did it for him. Which opened up a nice gash on his arm. So if you are not sure of conditions and it starts getting wet, or icy on the steep part it would be better to change to crampons and axe or turn around. Not every day's a summit day; and that mountain isn't going anywhere.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

mcphersonm80 wrote: In your opinion, how tough would it be to go up the "regular" route via the ridge to the summit in the micros? A couple rocky sections come to mind (like just before the sign near the Hellcat wreckage) that I really don't know what to expect in winter... but overall, I can't think of any drop-offs too steep up that way that would present a major risk.
It all depends on conditions. One can do the Ski Hut route in winter with boots, microspikes, crampons, or not at all. I left out sandals, but those would probably work under some conditions too. Can one get hurto n the Ski Hut route? Well, almost exactly 6 years ago, Charles Koh fell to his death on that route.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Great feedback all. Makes sense and pretty much what I already figured... Conditions are everything, and like I said in the original post, they were perfect on Saturday.

"Not every day's a summit day; and that mountain isn't going anywhere." Words to (literally) live by.

Just for fun comparison, a little collage I put together of my last 3 hikes up the Ski Hut Trail:

Many Faces of the Baldy Bowl by Wattifoto, on Flickr
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi,
I hiked with Doug Thompson, owner of Whitney portal store, last January on west BOWL of Mt. Baldy in very icy condition. He used a microspike all the way to the ridge. He maintained his body balance with 3 points contact to the slope. It was the most extreme application for a microspike I have ever seen. I think most of us can't use it the way he can.
Please look the hikers crampons and microspike.

I met some hikers complaining about microspike used in very heavy soft snow.
They should have used snowshoes.

All gears we have must be used properly depending upon the situation and our ability to use them.

Shin
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

T-shirt, jeans, and microspikes straight up the bowl?? :shock:
obie

Post by obie »

simonov wrote:
obie wrote: Thanks for the great pics.

https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=3276
Yep, thanks.

I've been following that thread and hoping I could recover in time to attend. But, my ankle is still not working right so I can't see being able to do much for another month or so.
jjpicts

Post by jjpicts »

T-shirt, jeans, and microspikes straight up the bowl??

Yeah that's classic Doug, old school all the way>