Holy Jim...good stories?

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
obie

Post by obie »

Any good stories here?

I've had 'moments' riding up Trabuco Canyon even in dry conditions with the occassional washout puddle along the way.

Bigger issue for me on a MTB is getting muscled by a 4WD that decides it can't wait for you to get through and, then charges straight in spewing a cloud of dust and mud a'flying.

The locals venting...:)
http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/p ... anyon.html
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

Better than this:
(Friend of mine, no that's not his tractor, he may or may not be intoxicated.)

From this set.

Poison oak :(
He219

Post by He219 »

SAR had to use a bulldozer to cross Trabuco Creek yesterday to search for missing hikers on Holy Jim trail. Just heard about it on the radio this morning ..
obie

Post by obie »

davantalus wrote: Better than this:
(Friend of mine, no that's not his tractor, he may or may not be intoxicated.)

From this set.

Poison oak :(

Haha....yeah, that's a go-to rig for Trabuco this time of year.
davantalus

Post by davantalus »

I should probably ask while it's on topic...

Anyone heard or seen an abandoned forest service tractor and or tourmaline mine up neighboring Bell canyon?

I had a report of them and I probably did 40 miles in the canyon trying to find it and never saw anything other than a ditched dune buggy.
He219

Post by He219 »

Debris covers Trabuco Canyon Road early Tuesday, Dec. 21, 2010 in Trabuco Canyon, Calif. , as the Orange County Fire Authority and news media prepare for a news conference with four hikers missing overnight in the flooded canyon in the Cleveland National Forest. The hikers' car had been trapped on the far side of swollen Trabuco Creek. Rescuers used a bulldozer Monday night to retrieve five other people who became stranded by the creek.
Four men stranded in Orange County's Trabuco Canyon were rescued Tuesday morning when they were plucked from the flooded foothills by helicopter. The rescue comes after the successful rescue of another group of hikers caught in the rain in the same area Monday night. Firefighters used a bulldozer to ford the waterway and bring back the members of the group one by one. Its weight -– roughly 30,000 pounds -– kept the bulldozer from washing away.
obie

Post by obie »

"news conference"? Haha...I'd skip that part of the rescue if I were them.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Those guys who spent the night were stuck in the car overnight from what I read. That's not so much of an emergency.