how do i get in touch with the los angeles national forest ?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
harper

Post by harper »

i tried calling -- no one there.
i tried leaving a message -- no such option.
i tried to fax -- fax number does not work.
there is no email address.

anyone?

hh
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

harper wrote:i tried calling -- no one there.
i tried leaving a message -- no such option.
i tried to fax -- fax number does not work.
there is no email address.

anyone?

hh
you didn't mention the reason for your call, nor did you mention which number(s) you tried calling.
you might go http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/angeles/contact/ there and see if there's a forest service office in the area of your interest.
some offices are open daily, other are m - f.
good luck.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Buckhorn campground is within the Los Angeles River Ranger District. Their telephone number is listed as (818) 899-1900. You might try calling the Chilao Visitors' Center at (626) 796-5541 for more relevant contact information. The Forest Service office and the Ranger District office are listed as Monday to Friday operations.
Em Tae

Post by Em Tae »

It's worth a try....please e-mail some of them at:

Howard Okamoto ------- hokamoto@fs.fed.us
Jody Noiron ------------- jnoiron@fs.fed.us
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Moved to General Discussion.
harper

Post by harper »

thanks all.

i'll email the buckhorn tale (see trip descriptions) to the address(es) provided, and maybe call as well.
i had tried to call and fax jody noiron at the info provided online -- but no go.

hh

later: ok, i feel better. sent a long email to the two contacts.
as for calling: the river rangers aren't there until monday (probably tuesday, i guess.) no possibility to leave a message.
and chilao doesn't answer (i actually went to the visitor center on my way down from buckhorn yesterday, and it's deserted, alas.)

hh
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

"how do i get in touch with the los angeles national forest ?"

MEDITATION!

MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

You can leave a message for Howard Okamoto at 818-899-1900 xt 229

Chilao Visitor Center is still having issues getting power and phone lines restored after the fire. That's the primary reason it's not been open this past year.

What time did you leave on Friday? USFS almost always only allows night patrols by Law Enforcement. Unfortunately, there are only about 10 LEO's for the whole forest, and they are all tied to a tree in San Gabriel Canyon or trapped in a pot farm in the San Gabriel Wilderness.

The other rangers that clean, collect money and enforce violations usually come around to Buckhorn after Chilao, in mid-morning, then around again in late afternoon if they can. That is the best time to tell them what is happening. If someone left the turd in the PM, it's likely it will get crusty and cleaned up the next morning. Sorry, there is no one there to babysit the rejects 24/7.

There is likely no host at Buckhorn because no one wants to do it. There are no hookups, and last I heard, the phone line that had wired in there a few years ago is not working after the fire.

I'm not excusing the conditions you experienced, just trying to give you some insight as to how things work in that area and why.
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

You should be calling the main office in Arcadia.

Crazy as it sounds, the 2 names someone posted to contact are now both gone.
Howard retired at the beginning of October and Jody moved to the San Bernardino Forest so see can make orchestrate the total destruction by fire of that forest next. She is what's wrong with the USFS.

Having to be politically correct is for the dam birds.

She & the USFS screwed up badly and now she's flying to coop before her a$$ gets rung out on the hot coals.