IHC to Middle Fork Lytle Creek 10/3/10

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Matt and I braved the threat of thunderstorms and got to see the upper section of trail between Icehouse Saddle and the Middle Fork trailhead.

The dirt road to MF trailhead has gotten pretty bad. I don't think a passenger car could make it at this point. Maybe with a really really skilled driver. We left a car there, then drove over to the Icehouse side and started hiking around 7:45am. Very little traffic. Must have been the weather threat.

It was cool, breezy and great. Matt stayed at the saddle and took a nap while I hoofed it (haha) out toward Ontario peak to grab the camera. The trail between the saddle and Kelly's Camp was wet - it had obviously rained pretty good up here. Above camp, it was dry again though.

I got back to the saddle 15 minutes late, so no rest for the weary - we took off down the trail to Commanche Camp right away. The trail here is narrow and steep. It obviously doesn't get much use. Very beautiful place though. About halfway down we met a girl who realized she was not headed toward Cucamonga Peak on this trail, and was pretty bummed to have to turn around and hike back up.

Near Commanche, the trail gets shady and the creek flows well. It feels like San Gorgonio here. Totally gorgeous.

The hike out was uneventful. Less than a mile below the camp is the drop-in for the canyoneering route of Middle Fork, so we have hiked this section of trail many times. It's also very nice, just not "new".

I would love to go back to the Commanche Camp area and set a trailcam in there. Anyone interested in exploring the side canyons around there (just hiking - non technical), let me know.

Top of the trail:

Looking back up canyon:

Gigantic tree!

Ya don't see ferns everyday!

Shady:

Green:

Eeew:

View from Commanche camp:

Storm rolling in:

Talus:

Looking down from the trail:

Toward Lytle Creek:

Brand new sign! No bullet holes (yet)!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

That upper section of the Middle Fork of Lytle Creek is really neat. One of my favorite spots in the San Gabs and a whole lot less use than Icehouse Canyon. The section between Comanche and Icehouse Saddle is probably the least used section of all. Commanche is worth a visit despite the crappy road and poor trail (but MUCH improved compared to a few years ago).

That road is definitely getting bad, particularly where it crosses a couple of washes. I really had to nurse my Accord through there when I went BP'ing there in June.

One of these days I want to visit Bonita Falls which I understand is a bit of a trick to get to the base of if you're a non-technical traveler such as myself.

HJ
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Hikin_Jim wrote: That road is definitely getting bad, particularly where it crosses a couple of washes.
Oh I almost forgot - I invented a new sport while driving out of there. "X-Treme Hydration"! You have to be really thirsty, in a hot car, going as fast as reasonably possible on a 4WD road, and attempt to drink from a wide mouth Nalgene.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

cougarmagic wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: That road is definitely getting bad, particularly where it crosses a couple of washes.
Oh I almost forgot - I invented a new sport while driving out of there. "X-Treme Hydration"! You have to be really thirsty, in a hot car, going as fast as reasonably possible on a 4WD road, and attempt to drink from a wide mouth Nalgene.
:lol: :lol:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Nice TR. There's a few cyns I've yet to wander into along the MF, so I'm interested in going along, especially if I don't have to navigate that road in my CR-V :D
turtle

Post by turtle »

Nice pictures and trip report!

Turns out I was just one day ahead of you guys -- I went through on Saturday. Though as I was by myself I didn't have the option for a car shuttle and had to get back to the IHC trailhead the honest way. :P

Like you and Matt I'd only done the stretch of MFLC up to the canyon drop-in. I was also incredibly impressed by the beauty of the area around Comanche. Very lush with some early fall color. I hope to get back there for a night out before the color fades.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Gonna go shoot that sign BRB
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Those are nice pix, thanks for posting. We were up on Pine looking that way and saw a trail on Dawson that we thought might connect over to Lytle Creek.

I know someone w/a Jeep that could handle the Middle Fork road just fine :-) I'd like to go over there. Looks like a nice trail.