Mt. Baldy (10/2/2010)

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

Granted, everyone here knows Baldy like their own last name, but today's weather made for some nice pictures.

Looking south from Register Ridge:

The Bowl:

Mt. San Antonio:

Passerbys:

Thunderstorm in the distance (raindrops were plenty):

Heading towards Dawson and Pine:
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Very nice.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Beautiful.

Kinda afraid of thunderstorms myself. Once things start to get all vibrat-y and whatnot, I book it. :lol:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Hey blueshammer, we might have passed each other. I went up Register Ridge yesterday and hit the summit of Baldy at 12:40. I went down the Ski Hut route. Here are some pictures somewhat similar to yours.

Taco, I was thinking a lot about thunder. I have no desire to become an overcooked morsel on the side of a mountain. The thunder was pretty distant yesterday, but I did not hang out on the peak for long waiting for it to come our way.
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

Nice pictures, AlanK. I didn't notice that "Jebb" rock lettering yesterday. Were people conducting prayers in one of your photos?

I reached Baldy at around 11 am and immediately went down the north backbone. When the far-off thunder started to sound closer and more frequent, I recalled a story I heard on the radio while driving up of a local elderly woman who was struck by lightning in front of her house. Became a bit paranoid about the weather, so I decided to head back not far from the start up to Dawson. I returned to Baldy around 1:15 pm, then made for the DBB. The weather grew downright hot by then.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Those are some mighty fine pictures. Thank you for sharing them.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

blueshammer wrote:Were people conducting prayers in one of your photos?
I think it was the Aetherius Society folks. I arrived at the top of Harwood at the same time as a guy who was looking for them. They were hard to miss.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Good pix!
norma r

Post by norma r »

beautiful photos! thanks for sharing.
mve

Post by mve »

great capture!
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Very nice shots, so much that it's my new desktop picture - finally replaced my Taco cascading San Antonio Falls
backdrop :P

Lighting might make me get off that mountain faster than seeing a rattlesnake :wink:
blueshammer

Post by blueshammer »

outwhere wrote:Very nice shots, so much that it's my new desktop picture - finally replaced my Taco cascading San Antonio Falls
backdrop :P
Thanks for the kind words. Quite a privilege to have the pic on your desktop!

Once the morning showers cleared and before the fog rolled in, there was a brief moment when the intersection of clouds, blue skies, and sunshine made for ideal picture taking.