20080406 Baldy

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I got off work at 0930, and did stuff at home blah blah blah, arriving at Wanker Flats around noon or something. Up to the summit and back by 1735 or somesuch. Saw Mark (Hvydrt) on the way up the road, and took the Ski Hut Trail up, and up one of the last remaining slivers of snow in the Bowl.

My camera was giving me a card error, so I only got a few shots on my phone. I do not know how to upload those. Either way, it was nice looking up topo, and there's plenty of snow on north faces.

I did not find the GPS unit. :(

I want to re-attempt the North Face of Baldy as a two-day climb, instead of a long day, or in this case, a half day and night. I am curious if anyone is interested. It should be much like the Bowl, except longer, with better snow by far, and just plain cooler, dangit.

I have April 11-13 off. I might also grab Telegraph Peak's Northwest Face as well, since I haven't climbed that in over a year, and it's still in condition.
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

So how much long do you think we have to climb the bowl? Winter ended way too quickly this year...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

This winter has been pretty good, i feel, just that everyone seems to get slammed with work, and finals in school at this time. :(

I would say this weekend is your last chance to do anything in ze Bowl.
Lance

Post by Lance »

This Sat I'd gonna have one more go of the Bowl then perhaps down to Dawson/Pine then back up Baldy. Maybe I'll see you up there.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

If I can't get a group going this weekend, I'll give Telegraph a shot.

Post by 406 »

TacoDelRio wrote: I want to re-attempt the North Face of Baldy as a two-day climb, instead of a long day, or in this case, a half day and night. I am curious if anyone is interested. It should be much like the Bowl, except longer, with better snow by far, and just plain cooler, dangit.
Route? Up from Wanker and over the summit, down the north face, then back up next day?
TacoDelRio wrote: I have April 11-13 off.
12th/13th ( Sat/Sun) are good for me.
TacoDelRio wrote: I might also grab Telegraph Peak's Northwest Face as well, since I haven't climbed that in over a year, and it's still in condition.
Also an interest.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

406, SOLD!

I don't ski, but I can wait for you if you choose to ski down either one. Telegraph looks hard, so I doubt you'd give that one a try this late in the season. baldy might be good to go, as it felt good.