Where is the best place in the SG mountains to get Solitude?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
caliguy92832

Post by caliguy92832 »

Where you could go hiking and not see a soul??
norma r

Post by norma r »

In the winter, i can think of lots of places. But i have a feeling you mean this time of year. Yes? (This post just made me yearn for snow and a peaceful snowshoe right after a storm.)
Zach

Post by Zach »

Upper or Lower Fish Creek.... it is remote and quiet.
caliguy92832

Post by caliguy92832 »

norma r wrote:In the winter, i can think of lots of places. But i have a feeling you mean this time of year. Yes? (This post just made me yearn for snow and a peaceful snowshoe right after a storm.)

yeah....for this time of the year
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Zach wrote:Upper or Lower Fish Creek.... it is remote and quiet.
you mean Fish Fork? I'd agree with that (although I haven't been there)

the less named, the better. and depends how much effort you are willing to put in.

it's hard not to see another soul on an entire hike, but I think upper ACH is your best shot. Copter Ridge maybe. Twin peaks (and beyond). East fork San gabriel river past Iron Fork (certainly not before)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hike deep into the San Gabriel Wilderness, around Twin Peaks like Ze said.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

If you start at dawn, almost any trail in the San G's will be empty except Icehouse Cyn. and Mt. Baldy Ski Hut, Backbone or Bear Flat trails. You'll only see people as you head back towards the car! :)

Specifically
- Copter Ridge
- Hawkins Ridge
- Pleasant View Ridge (anywhere west of Mt. Williamson - Pallett, Thrall, etc.)
- Winston Ridge
- Goodykoontz Peak
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

East Fork of the Big Santa Anita. Those pot cartels are ruthless, I guarantee you won't find a soul there. Or just follow around forest supervisor Jody Noiron - oh, wait, she doesn't go into the forest.

Seriously, you've got to find your own spot. If anyone tells you about it, chances are that you will run into them or someone else seeking solitude.
caliguy92832

Post by caliguy92832 »

I was reading in the book "Afoot & Afield in LA County by Jerry Schad" that the area around Sawtooth and Liebre Mountains gets relatively little use. And also the area around Rancho Cucamonga like Frankish Peak.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Well, if you go off trail and do cross country hiking or whatever, you'll probably be alone.

Also, weekdays.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Here. Now that's remote.

HJ
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

The Fish Canyon Narrows were extremely quiet for a weekend. I saw two backpackers at hour 7 of my trip into this area.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=34.61936,-11 ... %2Cunnamed

My photo album of the area.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgbofav/se ... 647078403/

http://www.lamag.com/featuredarticle.aspx?id=16812
http://www.calflora.net/recentfieldtrip ... ows09.html

If you pursue this, you wont see anyone else.
http://www.lagoldmines.com/index.php?page=356299.txt
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Good info, Thanks!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Here. Now that's remote.

HJ
I knew you would say that :evil:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:Here. Now that's remote.

HJ
I knew you would say that :evil:
I knew you would respond to it. :lol:

Ok, so it's remote. So what? So what if it's physically challenging? So what if the navigation and planning will be a challenge to the intellect? So what if there will be technical challenges? Being the only human being in living memory that has explored a dangerous, inaccessible secret wilderness just plain doesn't attract guys like you. We all understand that. So forget about it. Put it out of your mind. Don't even think about it. In fact, stop thinking about it right now. Just set it down on the table and walk away like the most alluring challenge of the San Gabriels doesn't even exist...

HJ
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

lol damnit!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Zé, no one is going to blame you if you don't go. To explore this area would take a person with a fair amount of intellectual wherewithal what with the planning, route finding, and navigational challenges and all. It would also require someone who was quite fit and had a good deal of hiking experience, particularly with cross country travel in difficult terrain. It's not like you'd fit that description perfectly. You're totally off the hook. No one expects it of you. Don't give it another thought. I mean it's not like you're going to wind up some day older, tied down by career and family obligations, wishing you had done it when you had the chance. It's nothing really. Not even worth your time.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Ease up on Ze...he goes to USC. :shock:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

:evil:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:Ease up on Ze...he goes to USC. :shock:
:lol: I take it you're a UCLA guy?

Of course, Zé, there is a way for you to shame him to silence. Of course on the other hand if a UCLA guy beats a USC guy... :lol:

But don't worry, nobody cares about this stuff anyway. Forget I even mentioned it.

HJ
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Kind of funny, that for awhile, thee remote place was considered Big Horn ridge...until Ze got there.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

South Face of East Twin with a linkup to the Zebra Wall and Triplet Rocks. Not that I'm planning on doing that this fall or anything, and not that anyone is invited to share the weight of the gear and the glory. ;-)
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

TacoDelRio wrote:South Face of East Twin with a linkup to the Zebra Wall and Triplet Rocks. Not that I'm planning on doing that this fall or anything, and not that anyone is invited to share the weight of the gear and the glory. ;-)
when it gets cooler, we're gonna head out there and we're gonna catapult you on top of the highest rock. :P
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I have a strange feeling that I'll be hauling you guys across a rope. 8)
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

hell yeah!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

AW wrote:
Kind of funny, that for awhile, thee remote place was considered Big Horn ridge...until Ze got there.
Probably a fluke. Besides, HikeUp is headed up there first. Did you really think HikeUp would let himself get totally owned a USC guy?

HJ
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

The most remote place I have been to has a pool all year round and no trash either. When I was there there were no other foot prints as well. Where is this gem in the Angeles?? Well, if I tell one, I tell all and then it won't be the best camp site no one knows about. So for that reason I'll keep it a secret.

Now as far as one that has been mentioned, Upper or Lower Fish Fork Camps. I've been to both and both are worth the effort to find and spend a day or 10 at. Be aware, when we were there we past a few big Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes. I missed stepping on one crossing the trail so be on your best watch. One snake bite down in there and you might as well dig a hole and get in.

How to get there... Find Lupine Camp and follow the trails south.
Also from Lupine you can hike, DO NOT DRIVE, west down the old road to Cabin Flats Campground. One used to be able to drive there but when the USFS widened the boundaries to the Bighorn Wilderness it encompassed the camp thus closing the road. There is an outhouse there that must be the cleanest one in any forest in the country. No Fly's either. Most of the campsites are all overgrown and being taken back by the forest. There are 3 sites and the far eastern edge of the camp that seem to get some good use. Some has brought in new tables and the area is worth the visit. I have been there a dozen times and never have we had company. I can't promise the same for you but go on a weekday and I'm bet the bank you have complete privacy while you are there.
Again, snakes are there as well.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

You mentioned Fish Fork camps, I raise you Fish Fork (the whole canyon)! Untouched.
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

Richard N. wrote:The most remote place I have been to has a pool all year round and no trash either. When I was there there were no other foot prints as well. Where is this gem in the Angeles?? Well, if I tell one, I tell all and then it won't be the best camp site no one knows about. So for that reason I'll keep it a secret.

Now as far as one that has been mentioned, Upper or Lower Fish Fork Camps. I've been to both and both are worth the effort to find and spend a day or 10 at. Be aware, when we were there we past a few big Western Diamondback Rattlesnakes. I missed stepping on one crossing the trail so be on your best watch. One snake bite down in there and you might as well dig a hole and get in.

How to get there... Find Lupine Camp and follow the trails south.
Also from Lupine you can hike, DO NOT DRIVE, west down the old road to Cabin Flats Campground. One used to be able to drive there but when the USFS widened the boundaries to the Bighorn Wilderness it encompassed the camp thus closing the road. There is an outhouse there that must be the cleanest one in any forest in the country. No Fly's either. Most of the campsites are all overgrown and being taken back by the forest. There are 3 sites and the far eastern edge of the camp that seem to get some good use. Some has brought in new tables and the area is worth the visit. I have been there a dozen times and never have we had company. I can't promise the same for you but go on a weekday and I'm bet the bank you have complete privacy while you are there.
Again, snakes are there as well.

except right now, during hunting season. You'll have several people down there in their jeeps and quads.