BALDY - Archive of Mt. Baldy-related Discussions

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Mt. Baldy chamber of commerce has free* ski passes available first come first serve.

http://mtbaldychamber.com/promotions.lasso?from=b

*Really, it costs $50 for some arbitrary "fee". I don't use the ski area or lifts enough each season to warrant buying one, but I figured I'd pass on the info.
moppychris

Post by moppychris »

my friends have already bought these. I won't buy one becuase I do not know if they are legit. I can't find a source that says they are the real thing.
i guess I could call mt. badly resort..
hillbasher

Post by hillbasher »

Called them up and it is official. Call the number and talk to them.
He219

Post by He219 »

A great deal if you like skiing the 'resort'!
:P
hillbasher

Post by hillbasher »

Well back country jumping out of a copter it is not, but what it is, is 20 minutes from home and the best steep skiing in SoCal the 3 or 4 times a winter right after a good dumping. And for $50, what more could you ask for.
Nate

Post by Nate »

My dad and I both got a pass. Thanks!
Its a good deal for the occasional times baldy gets dumped on, and if I get a chance to climb telegraphs north face this winter.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nate wrote:My dad and I both got a pass. Thanks!
Its a good deal for the occasional times baldy gets dumped on, and if I get a chance to climb telegraphs north face this winter.
Save some $$$ and hike up Big Butch Wash to Thunder, then down to Coldwater Canyon, then up! 8)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Taco,
I can't find my Baldy map right now so I don't know exactly what your talking about, but I'l check it out. Sounds like a good idea if I want to get up there and stArt climbing before the lift opens up. But the pass is still good for skiing on those powder days.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Powder days = not climbing days :lol: , so you'll be set!
simonov

Post by simonov »

This last weekend I noticed signs all over the Ski Hut area that said "No Stoves or Fires." What's up with that? I brought a stove to cook up some pancakes and didn't let the signs stop me.

Does anyone know the reason for the prohibition and by whose authority the Sierra Club (I assume it's them) put up the signs?
Nunc est bibendum
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Shouldn't be restricted by current fire danger levels.
Angeles is currently at High (I think Moderate is probably more appropiate now like Cleveland states)

But, even at high, campfires and stoves are allowed in developed campgrounds and picnic areas with a campfire permit. (Using the Cleveland's info - Angeles doesn't have it on the web that I could find) I'd think the hut would fit that.

Probably the Sierra Club's doing. They are just a leasee, right?
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

would be a good question for the permit administrator on the San Gabriel District.

My guess is, the Sierra Club has a certain amount of authority to regulate some types of things in and near their permitted structure / "property", but the details I don't know.
canoeman

Post by canoeman »

Has anyone contacted the sierra club or the ANF ferengi about this.
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Our very own Shin summited Mt Baldy 43X in 2009. Unless someone comes forward I'm going to say that's a record.....
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Let's all recognize that the pursuit of the summit should not be a contest. If someone does it once and it is a meaningful experience then that is the point.
If the pursuit of the summit becomes a check mark or a click of the counter then that person has probably lost touch with the real reason for going there in the first place.
Oops! Sorry. Wrong board. :oops: I had this confused with the SGW Board.

Seriously, 43x is quite impressive for one year. I hope that Shin actually likes the mountain. :D
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Good for you, Shin! I accompanied him on 2.3% of those climbs.
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Where you been man? We miss ya! BTW Your post is funny putting the SGW on this board????
Hope to see you on Baldy soon Shin and I are meeting tomrorow at Manker 6am if you want to join us.

Jeff S
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

JEFFSCOF wrote:Where you been man? We miss ya! BTW Your post is funny putting the SGW on this board????
Hope to see you on Baldy soon Shin and I are meeting tomrorow at Manker 6am if you want to join us.
I keep thinking that SGW must be "San Gabriel Wilderness." Also, I was amused by the way that guy got on your case over such an innocent post. It's amazin' what gets one in trouble on the Net.

I have not been getting out enough and will not be able to early tomorrow. But I am trying to fix that situation.
tinaballina

Post by tinaballina »

AlanK wrote:
JEFFSCOF wrote:Where you been man? We miss ya! BTW Your post is funny putting the SGW on this board????
I keep thinking that SGW must be "San Gabriel Wilderness." Also, I was amused by the way that guy got on your case over such an innocent post. It's amazin' what gets one in trouble on the Net.

I have not been getting out enough and will not be able to early tomorrow. But I am trying to fix that situation.
Yes, alan, we must get you out more...this "down" time is not good for your net table manners...LOL
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

I have checked the schedule for the hut and see that there is no host for the weekend of May 8th and 9th. I was wondering if any of you are hut hosts and if so would be interested in hosting a small group of my friends for my bachelor party for sat-sun? It will be real low key and I would truly appreciate it.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

glamisking wrote:I have checked the schedule for the hut and see that there is no host for the weekend of May 8th and 9th. I was wondering if any of you are hut hosts and if so would be interested in hosting a small group of my friends for my bachelor party for sat-sun? It will be real low key and I would truly appreciate it.
The Sierra Club runs the huts. See http://angeles.sierraclub.org/lodges/sa ... kihut.html
You might want to contact the chairperson listed at the above link.

HJ
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Just curious if anyone knows of anyone doing more than 47 Baldy summits in a calender year? Know some people aren't into keeping track and I respect that so please respect the stat geek and don't be a $%&*I#@!@!...
I know Rick Kent's 5 summits in a day most likely will never be beat I"m just wondering if someone's done more than 47 in a year. My good friend did 47 last year....
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Ask Shin. There was a thread on the Whitney Portal BB a couple of weeks ago that he'd just passed 200 times total.
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Hey Kevin,
LOL, who do you think was my good friend that did it 47X???
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I bet Rick's total will be beat.... by Rick! :-)

Moved to General Discussion.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Rick is not alone...
I had the pleasure of meeting a few "certifiables" yesterday who run up skyline a couple of times/day just for fun!
And I thought it was all about "The Art of Suffering". :evil:
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

After talking to Ranger Dan who has the most total summits of Baldy 400+ I believe Shin has done the most in a year 47 or 48...Yes Rick is crazy 5 is unfathomable. I felt really good after doing Baldy on Saturday and again on Monday. I was thinking I could do one or two more but 5 total....
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

On a related semi-historical note: The old Baldy Peaks 50k race was a real hoot. We ran to Baldy summit twice during the race. Start at Icehouse parking lot > run down to Baldy Village> run up Bear Flats trail to top > down DBB to Notch> run down to Manker> then back up Hut trail to top> run down DBB to Notch> run up to Thunder> then back to Notch> then run all the way down to Icehouse parking lot. 32 or 33 miles total! It was definitely worth the price of admission.
simonov

Post by simonov »

As you approach the Baldy Ski Hut from below, you cross a bubbling stream. If you look up the course of this stream, you will see the Ski Hut outhouse perched serenely above the stream.

What's up with that? How can they stick an outhouse right at the top of a watercourse? And does the outhouse use a septic field, or do they haul the crap out every once in a while?
Nunc est bibendum
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

They diverted water and built a 9 million gallon snow-making reservoir without a NEPA study or an Environmental Impact Report, so that toilet doesn't surprise me.