East Fork - Iron Mt - NW Ridge - Stanley-Miller Mine Loop

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

That was the easy way? :shock:

Good job, guys. Excellent. I've been to the S-M before but I've never seen the equipment and such that you two found. I found two shafts when I was there and a lot of stone cabin foundations and stone chimneys, but I don't think I was in the shaft that you were. One of the shafts I found was lined with old fuel cans and such. The other was more open, but I don't remember it splitting like that. How far back was the split?

HJ
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
That was the easy way? :shock:

Good job, guys. Excellent. I've been to the S-M before but I've never seen the equipment and such that you two found. I found two shafts when I was there and a lot of stone cabin foundations and stone chimneys, but I don't think I was in the shaft that you were. One of the shafts I found was lined with old fuel cans and such. The other was more open, but I don't remember it splitting like that. How far back was the split?

HJ
there is no easy way, lol.

interesting about other shafts. we did see one other opening, but it only went in like 10'. the equipment is spread over 3 or 4 terraced levels, with the mine maybe 60 ft south of the highest level.

the split started in a good bit, maybe 60 ft? the split parts go back further than that too.

the first time we never saw any openings near the cabin ruins, and boy did we try to find any. I really wanted to get to the primary one with the ore cart. I didn't try to move it but it looked heavy. However I was able to rotate the shaft of one of those pieces of equipment, must have been good quality ball-bearings to last this long!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Zé, what is the history, track, and current condition of the "Wetwater" trail? Thanks!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Mike P wrote:Zé, what is the history, track, and current condition of the "Wetwater" trail? Thanks!
this trail

notice the cliff section it passes through

i believe that's what is shown in this picture

doesn't appear too safe, but I didn't get a closer look.

this was seemingly the common trail use to head north along the east bank of the Narrows to then veer up to the mine. John Robinson mentioned that the Wetwater trail was "airy" and the "terror of packmules". that's all I know. :shock:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote:we did see one other opening, but it only went in like 10'.
Did it have a lot of gallon gas cans and such all flattened onto the floor?

HJ
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

I don't recall. There might have been a few artifacts but no biggies. I'll have to ask Winston, he might remember. It was about halfway between the cabin ruins and the big mine opening.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote:I don't recall. There might have been a few artifacts but no biggies. I'll have to ask Winston, he might remember. It was about halfway between the cabin ruins and the big mine opening.
The shaft I'm talking about is south of the cabin ruins and a bit downhill. The floor is literally paved with old cans. You can't walk in it without walking on the cans.

Sheesh, I gotta get out there again some time. Hope my knee cooperates.

HJ
Zach

Post by Zach »

Damn that looks like some serious fun!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Fun. ;-)
Winston

Post by Winston »

Hikin_Jim wrote:The shaft I'm talking about is south of the cabin ruins and a bit downhill. The floor is literally paved with old cans. You can't walk in it without walking on the cans.

Sheesh, I gotta get out there again some time. Hope my knee cooperates.

HJ
I think that must have been a different shaft. I don't remember any fuel cans in the main shaft we found. The only fuel can I saw was just east of the cabin near a rusted metal stove.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Good job Ze, does anyone know what the primary "Items" that were "mined in that mine?

Looks like a fun fall hike with some swimming trunks near the end.

Great pictures.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

lilbitmo wrote:does anyone know what the primary "Items" that were "mined in that mine?
Gold, baby, gold.