Hiker missing near Mount Baldy since 2/27/2008

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Sierra Madre is a great team. One of the guys here at my office is on SM SAR. You have to live within a 20 min. drive of the station in order to be a member.
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

My first exposure to ice was on the north ridge trail on Pine Mtn in the month before your father set out. My intent was to go up the Acorn trail all the way to Baldy. I didn't get far before ice presented a problem. At the time I was inexperienced with winter travel and hadn't yet purchased crampons. I did however have an ice axe (which I had never used). Foolishly I cut steps in the ice and proceeded up the steepest and exposed part of the ridge without crampons. Needless to say climbing back down steep ice using only the small steps I had cut was sketchy. When the deaths began just weeks later I realized I may have been lucky. Soon thereafter I purchased my first set of crampons.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Rick Kent wrote:My first exposure to ice was . . .
My first exposure to ice was last December on the Bear Canyon Trail. At 9200' I looked at the ice, looked at the chutes, turned around, and treated myself to a burger in Baldy Village. Smartest thing I did all year.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Pics from my first exposure to ice:

Learned the hard way. Self arrest, slid from near the summit of Thunder, down to the bottom ski lift on Thunder, about 1/4 mile. Damn rucksack. It's all his fault. :lol:

Top to bottom.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

ouch!!! that is crazy.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I guess desert boots weren't the best choice that day. I thought I coudl glissade down that section... problem being that it wasn't snow. :lol:

Live and learn.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Dude! :shock: Glad you're still with us.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I was lucky I didn't get injured, as I didn't have (read, NEVER HAVE) medical insurance.
SkinnyFat

Post by SkinnyFat »

Man oh man, what a way to lose weight. It's called scape your @ss all over the mountain. ;-)
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

"lucky I didn't get injured" ....

uh ... ya ...

that's definitely learning the hard way