Baldy Chutes, 03-Apr-2010

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Tim

Post by Tim »

One of my goals is to climb and photo document all of the chutes in Baldy Bowl. I ended up climbing The Dare and The Hourglass.

I woke up late and leisurely arrived at Manker Flats at 10:30am. It was already quite warm so I didn't think I'd even climb any chutes because of the rockfall danger. I left my helmet and my second semi-technical axe in the car. I figured I'd just get some photos from the base of the Bowl or climb the easy route up the West Ridge. When I got to the Bowl, I couldn't help it. I had to climb it.

So up I went. But I stopped at the base for a long time to plan my route. I wanted to survey how much rock was coming down, where they were coming from and at what frequency. At one point three bogeys headed right at a climber halfway up the Bowl from 1 O'clock high and it looked like he was just frozen there. But he was actually watching their trajectories to make a move at the last second. The three rocks whizzed by on either side of him. Then another time a huge rock let loose, started tumbling and smashed into a stationary boulder, causing it to explode into 4 or 5 large fragments with a huge kaboom! Wow!

Luckily my side of the Bowl was relatively calm. I made it up The Dare without incident, met a nice young couple from Santa Monica and then continued up the ridge, taking pictures.

This is an illustration I made based on a photo in the Ski Hut. The picture is from March.

You can see a skier near the bottom. For some reason he skinned across and then climbed the left side of the rocks to gain the ridge.

The Dare and Once is Enough.

This is looking towards climber's left in The Dare chute. It measures out to be about 45°. The center of the chute is not as steep. My guess is 40°.

This is the top of The Dare.

This is that famous tree that marks The Hourglass Chute.

Top of Hourglass

I went down The Hourglass and then back up. Here's the view from the bottom. At its narrowest, the chute is maybe about 6' wide, I think.

This is top of Girlyman Chute. The chute itself is pretty bare but the top is sort of corniced over with this very steep slap of snow. It's probably 60°+ in spots?

Looking down Girlyman Chute.

Here's Hershey Highway

This is looking north. The snag on the left marks Figure 11 and beyond it is Employee Entrance/Zen Chute (I think).

This is looking south. From near to far is Figure 11, Hershey Highway and Girlyman Chute. You can see that snag again.

The purple paint bandit strikes again! I first saw purple graffiti on Iron a few years ago and now this rock at the top of Zeke's Chute. Idiots!

This is that tree that greets everyone at the top of Zeke's Chute (the center chute that everyone goes up)

Another view, from a different day of Zeke's Chute and that big rock outcropping. The climbers are taking the leftside variation.

Had a nice ride down too:
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Very informative. Thanks for posting all that. I didn't realize how steep some of those chutes are.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Good job, Tim.

D's Dare and The Dare are also sometimes listed as Dostie's Dare. I have no idea who Dostie is.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Nice work, Tim! Appropriate name for the Girlyman chute--I kinda feel like one when I look at the photo. :oops:
I'm taking my nephew up there Sunday for his first time. I think I'll show him your nice glissade video to get him pumped! :D
MarkI

Post by MarkI »

Wow, nice video, that glissade just goes on and on...makes you want to get up there just for that!
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Great ride! Just curious, was that the same music you were listening to on the way down?
mve

Post by mve »

Oh man this is great! Makes me want to get out there again!
Funyan005

Post by Funyan005 »

That glissade video was awesome! Ive never glissaded down the bowl, I may just just have to do that next time, walking sucks
norma r

Post by norma r »

Wow! thanks for all the info. glad you had a great day!! i'm looking forward to climbing those L side chutes when the time is right for me.

1 also really enjoyed the glissade video. when i last glissaded the bowl a couple weeks ago i said to my partner, "i wish i had a helmet cam!" it was fun to see the snow flying up in front of my boots. i watched your video and pretended it was me. :)
TracieB

Post by TracieB »

Thanks for the great pix and info on these chutes! Really interesting stuff. 'course, I still have yet to do the bowl :wink: maybe next year.
He219

Post by He219 »

Nice report, Tim.
Really like your pix ..
Cheers!
Tim

Post by Tim »

Thank you all! Glad to hear my report could be of some help and even better that it might have jazzed you up to head out there! The season is sadly coming to an end, but there's still snow left.

Some of those chutes were steeper than I thought. I think it's because most of the snow is melted out, except for a huge cornice at the top. When the chute is filled in it's probably not that bad.

Taco, I've heard it called Dostie's Dare too. Sounds pretty cool, whoever this Dostie is. Do you know if it's pronounced Dos-tee or Doh-stee?

Dave, I'm a Girlyman too when it comes to that chute. If I had my second axe, maybe...but hell no with just one axe. Good luck to your nephew on Sunday!

EMan, I didn't have my music on when I was in the Bowl. I keep my earphones off to listen for rocks. But that mellow tune would have been perfect for a nice, lazy slide down the side of a mountain.

Norma, congrats on doing the MR in the winter! When it's summer, 110 deg and we're all depressed, we can just watch my glissade video and pretend those are our boots. Ah, good times!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

The season on the south side is coming to an end soon. The north side will be in for a long time. 8)

No idea regarding pronunciation.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

TacoDelRio wrote:The season on the south side is coming to an end soon. The north side will be in for a long time. 8)
Indeed, Go North, young man, go North! (apologies to Horace Greeley) :D

BTW, how's your knee(s) doing these days, Ryan? :(
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Dave G wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:The season on the south side is coming to an end soon. The north side will be in for a long time. 8)
Indeed, Go North, young man, go North! (apologies to Horace Greeley) :D

BTW, how's your knee(s) doing these days, Ryan? :(
Off and on. Shouldn't be an issue soon with one of these:
norma r

Post by norma r »

Ryan, you cwack me up!

i went North yesterday on San G. very fun and perfect weather. no wind! the complete "etisoppo" of Whitney last week.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

You and Tina and yer crazy Italian words.
mve

Post by mve »

norma r wrote:Ryan, you cwack me up!

i went North yesterday on San G. very fun and perfect weather. no wind! the complete "etisoppo" of Whitney last week.
Norma, you've gone up Whitney last week? Where's the TR? :D
mve

Post by mve »

Never mind -- found it -- http://sierramountaineering.com/blog/?p=315 Awesome :D