new Delorme GPS with wireless spot meesenger module

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
canoeman

Post by canoeman »

I saw this blog and was impressed. Delorme is offering a new GPS pn-60w that has a mate spot messenger module.
but here is the cool part.
you can use the keyboard buttons of the Delorme to type in custom text and send it to anyone you want.
so instead of just having two preset messages, you can enter any text you want then select a list of people you want to send it to.
so it's a one way sat text messenger.
you can send messages to blogs, facebook, phones geocache.com etc.

the spot can be used as a stand alone for 911 or used with a wireless connection to the spot via zigbee 802XXX format.
this may lead to using your smart phone to send text via your spot messenger.
sounds cool but we will see.
check out the blog release here.

http://blog.delorme.com/2010/01/06/delo ... /#more-674
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

thats cool it has spot built in. and the custom sms messages is a +
but does it come with service or sold seperatley?
canoeman

Post by canoeman »

Check out the blog discussion at the link. The answers and question posed to the delorme design staff are extensive.
the extra services cost extra.
but a cool thing is that the gps has a mesh 802XXX
network, so you can send and receive messages,share maps send coordinates between users up to a mile apart as well as well as seeing their location on your gps screen.
this new gps is ground breaking technology.
you wil also be able to see all spot delorme pn-60w users on your screen. your whole hiking group and camping group will be able to text each other directly.
this is cool
spotfin

Post by spotfin »

Thank you for posting this. I was thinking about buying a Garmin Oregon 550t, but I'll wait for this unit to come out. It has the topo feature that I want and the spot feature with messaging capability is a tremendous bonus.
I know that I'll have to bivy in the woods sooner or later because of darkness, route finding etc. and it would be great to be able to send a message to the family that I am fine and not to alert SAR. OTOH if there is a real emergency, vital information could be passed on.
canoeman

Post by canoeman »

your welcome.
It's funny you should mention it because I was just about to buy a Oregon 550t as well, glad I saw this first.
cant wait, looks real cool