Trail camping on snow without hiking through it?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
mtb604

Post by mtb604 »

I have a group of beginner backpacking boy scouts who want to camp in the snow, however none of them are equipped for hiking through it (no crampons, boots are "waterproofed" but not waterproof, etc.). Are there any short trails that will get us to the snow without having to hike through it? We're familiar with the following trail camps that might be options, but I'm not sure of current conditions: Cedar Grove (Icehouse Canyon), Lytle Creek, Fish Creek (SGW), Little Jimmy, Cooper Canyon, Zion Loop.
I want to build some confidence in these boys that with the proper preparation they can do this.
Any recommendations?
Zach

Post by Zach »

Not so sure about any great snowcamping spots but I'd say proper preparation is key to having an enjoyable night in almost any amount of snow. 4 season tents and sleeping pads, a nice warm sleeping bag (rated for 32 degree and below) and plenty of layers are a must. Another consideration is that fires are a little hard to come by (for obvious reasons) so finding a dry/warm place to congregate could get tricky. I'm sure this is all stuff you already know, but just in case :)

Second thought, taking the tram up to San J could afford some relatively easy access to wilderness that is still close enough to civilization. Only thing is, after that last tram, there's no turning back.
mtb604

Post by mtb604 »

Thanks. They are prepared and trained, just not experienced. We usually do the SJ tram memorial day weekend- older scouts go up from Idyllwild, younger scouts take the tram and meet in Round Valley. We've never done it in winter though. Seems like there would still be three miles from the top of the tram to Round Valley through the snow.
friendowl

Post by friendowl »

i camped overnight last sat. at icehouse canyon with my 3 kids age 5,12,and 13....about 100 yards past the gate there are two nice flat spots right by the stream.we had a blast and were not cold once....and it was close to the car...