Boney Mtn 2010/02/07

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

all the photos are here @ Picasa

Track on Everytrail

A series of plans fell through, because of closures and eventually Boney Mtn it was

After a series of Snafus we arrived at the trailhead which is on Lynn Rd NOT Potrero Rd and got off the trailhead at 7:55 am

The trail is wide well marked no navigational challenges here unless you get lost on the way to the bathroom.

The "trail" to the Donaldson Monument is an Old Road Grade (ORG) with some single track trails and other ORG's peeling off our route

On our way in we made a side trip to the waterfall. It's about a 40-50ft semi-vertical falls/cascade. The main problem with approaching any closer it is the poison oak.

1hr 14min in we arrived at the "Donaldson Monument" this site pay homage to the donor of the land we are enjoying..Thanks , seems so inadequate.

Here the ORG ends and the route becomes an actual trail, though the condition is very poor. The last time I recall erosion like this was in Olympic National Park where they receive 300" of rain per year

In my never ending quest to explore new canyons I noted some falls below the trail in the upper reaches of Big Sycamore Cyn (headwaters)

The Poison Oak is brutal here, making this an unlikely canyoneer's mecca unless some miracle medical advance makes it possible to enter it without a care

Toward the top we came to a Sierra Nevada like field of Padres Shooting Star's

As we approached the high point of Boney Mtn we strung out taking in the vistas

We made good time arriving at the summit 2hrs 28min 2960ft, there is no named peak "Boney Mtn" rather there's a massive hogback, this is just what appears to be the highest point.

Some in our group wanted to have a look at Tri-peak area so off we went past the saddle and through the boulders to Tri-Peak area lots of interesting rocks here, be we took a break and warmed in the sun baked rocks looking at maps and just enjoying this fine day!

The trip back was mostly uneventful and we made good time, the parking lot was packed as where the trails with families and all manner of hikers young and old and everything in between

Pleasantries where exchanged and commitments made for the next adventure

A great day all in all
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

wait, you guys summited?!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

That's a beautiful waterfall.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

wrote:wait, you guys summited?!
Yeah but....

It's not on the HPS list :lol:
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

TacoDelRio wrote:That's a beautiful waterfall.
Yeah a real gem. The Poison oak is dense

lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Nice TR Matt, that's not a HPS summit but it qualifies for the NHPS :D

I'm like you, keep the poison oak two states away or I still might break out, do you use TECHNU that helps, if you put it on before contact :roll:

Great Pictures, thanks
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

I love Boney Mtn via the Boy Scout Trail! I seem to remember some discussion about there being a Boney Mtn and a Boney Peak? :?:
The caves at Tri-Peaks are pretty cool, too. 8)
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

lilbitmo wrote:Nice TR Matt, that's not a HPS summit but it qualifies for the NHPS :D
Oh man I'm in deep stuff! My NHPS charter Membership and Chairmanship is in jeopardy :?

I've summitted to peaks in two days but but they're not on the HPS list ...both lower than 5000 ft
lilbitmo wrote:I'm like you, keep the poison oak two states away or I still might break out, do you use TECHNU that helps, if you put it on before contact :roll:

Well to be perfectly honest it really doesn't bother me, I try to avoid it at all costs though like I was bothered by it... It's not a question of if you are or are not it's just a question of when

My fellow canyoneers use alcohol to wash down after a trip, change clothes before getting in the car, bathe ASAP and wash their clothes and packs

Some are going to try out disposable tyvek coveralls, I have my doubts

lilbitmo wrote:Great Pictures, thanks
Thanks
Matt
Socalhiker69

Post by Socalhiker69 »

Dave G wrote:I love Boney Mtn via the Boy Scout Trail! I seem to remember some discussion about there being a Boney Mtn and a Boney Peak? :?:
I think some people refer to the whole plateau area as "Boney Mountain" with Boney Peak as one outcropping (east of Inspiration Point and west of Sandstone Peak). Other refer the most southwestern outcropping separately as "Boney Mountain". Joe can certainly add to that or correct me.
mve

Post by mve »

Great TR Matt -- it's hard to imagine the amount of water that went through there:

:shock:

I've been meaning to ask you -- how do you deal with ticks? Deet? They love damp overgrown places -- I've once taken my son to Zuma Canyon and there were tons of ticks in there (early March).
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

mattmaxon wrote:Well to be perfectly honest it really doesn't bother me
Can you believe it? He's immune! He's nice enough not to gloat, though, and also, he goes first with the loppers while the rest of us whine and cry.
mattmaxon wrote:Some are going to try out disposable tyvek coveralls, I have my doubts
It's brilliant! It's gonna be the next big thing in hiker fashion, you'll see!

Also - someone asked about ticks - I find spraying clothes with Permethrin, like you would for mosquitos, works well.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Swim through enough poison oak as a youngun and you'll be immune like us. 8)
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Socalhiker69 wrote:
Dave G wrote:I love Boney Mtn via the Boy Scout Trail! I seem to remember some discussion about there being a Boney Mtn and a Boney Peak? :?:
I think some people refer to the whole plateau area as "Boney Mountain" with Boney Peak as one outcropping (east of Inspiration Point and west of Sandstone Peak). Other refer the most southwestern outcropping separately as "Boney Mountain". Joe can certainly add to that or correct me.
who knows, its all confusing.

this state park map indicates a Boney Peak between Inspiration Point and Sandstone Peak. So I scrambled up those rocks on my loop. everytrail

however, if you search 'boney mountain' in mapper.acme.com, it indicates this point

if you change to 'terrain' view, it indicates boney peak at this point, hmm....
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

mattmaxon wrote:I've summitted to peaks in two days but but they're not on the HPS list ...both lower than 5000 ft
Sorry Matt, but your membership in my recently formed NLPS has been denied. Apply again in 3 months. :wink:
norma r

Post by norma r »

Socalhiker69 wrote:I think some people refer to the whole plateau area as "Boney Mountain" with Boney Peak as one outcropping (east of Inspiration Point and west of Sandstone Peak). Other refer the most southwestern outcropping separately as "Boney Mountain"....
as a local you are correct in both your assumptions of what us "some people" call it. :D

to add to the confusion, if you look at a map of the Point Mugu State Park, the area is also referred to as Boney Mountain Wilderness. plus the trail Dave G referred to as the Boy Scout Trail is a way-too-fun unmaintained trail also referred to as the Western Ridge Trail and the Mountaineer's Route.

Hi Matt! Glad you enjoyed the day and the area! :D I have enjoyed thousands of hours in the park. The rut Johanna was walking in was created by El Nino in the 90's and gets deeper and deeper. Unfortunately, poison oak is rampant in the Santa Monica Mountains. FWIW, I have a friend that washes his arms and legs with Ajax after hiking through it and swears by that.

Someone also mentioned Zuma Canyon. Again full of poison oak i hear but it is supposed to be an awesome hike through a canyon of water in May. I always seem to be in the Sierra in May, but really want to try that hike this year.
simonov

Post by simonov »

TacoDelRio wrote:Swim through enough poison oak as a youngun and you'll be immune like us. 8)
Izzat fer real?

I had a VERY bad case of poison oak once in the seventh grade, and have never gotten it since.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

simonov wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:Swim through enough poison oak as a youngun and you'll be immune like us. 8)
Izzat fer real?

I had a VERY bad case of poison oak once in the seventh grade, and have never gotten it since.
Same for me. I literally crawled through it as a wee lad in the hills of Chino and Diamond Bar. Got a bad case once or twice, now I get a few bumps on my hand and it's gone in a day, even if my entire goddamn body comes in contact with it.

Something to do with the oil?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

TacoDelRio wrote:Same for me. I literally crawled through it as a wee lad in the hills of Chino and Diamond Bar. Got a bad case once or twice, now I get a few bumps on my hand and it's gone in a day, even if my entire goddamn body comes in contact with it.

at least from what I know that ain't possible

Some Fast Facts from the Poison Ivy, Oak, & Sumac Center

*Urushiol Oil is Potent

* Only 1 nanogram (billionth of a gram) needed to cause rash
* Average is 100 nanograms for most people
* 1/4 ounce of urushiol is all that is needed to cause a rash in every person on earth
* 500 people could itch from the amount covering the head of a pin
* Specimens of urushiol several centuries old have found to cause dermatitis in sensitive people.
* 1 to 5 years is normal for urushiol oil to stay active on any surface including dead plants
* Derived from urushi, Japanese name for lacquer

When the Japanese restored the gold leaf on the golden Temple in Kyoto, they painted the urushiol lacquer on it to preserve and maintain the gold. Guess you could say that you would be caught red handed if you stole it.

But all that aside the rash is an allergic reaction hence some get it and some don't, but the immune system is not static, a very delicate balancing act to be sure

here's a good primer on natural "immunity"

It is also the bane of wildland firefighters, breathing the smoke can and does kill

I have a very health respect for it and try not to tempt fate, I make every attempt to avoid it and know what it looks like in all it's phases

Apparently there is one very good post exposure wash Zanfel but god it's expensive MSRP of $41.00 per OZ

There has been limited success with some medical treatments to reduce or eliminate reactions
Socalhiker69

Post by Socalhiker69 »

mattmaxon wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:Same for me. I literally crawled through it as a wee lad in the hills of Chino and Diamond Bar. Got a bad case once or twice, now I get a few bumps on my hand and it's gone in a day, even if my entire goddamn body comes in contact with it.

at least from what I know that ain't possible
Well, it is not unconceivable that early exposure to urushiol causes some sort of immunity to it. There is some research about using modified forms of urushiol to develop de- or hypo-sensitization (similar to what you can do for allergies against bee stings). However, it certainly is not common practice or a proven strategy.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

I get PO real bad and always have. If anything, more exposure has made it worse for me.
On one recent doc visit for steroids and such; the doc brought in all the docs, nurses and PA's to see "the worst case of poison oak I've ever seen" - they all agreed.
It wasn't even my worst, but it was bad.
I turn into a total oozing, dripping, soak thru the jeans sheet staining mess.
My wife loves it! :D

She won't let me on the bed like that and I sleep on the kitchen floor with the dogs.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

It is also the bane of wildland firefighters, breathing the smoke can and does kill
Holy shit! :shock: That's no good.
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

TacoDelRio wrote:
Holy shit! :shock: That's no good.
Yeah just imagine poison oak in your lungs and airway

Bad doesn't scrape the surface, I had a coworker who was hospitalized twice with poison oak

He could have died.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Did he breathe it in, or was it a severe skin reaction thing?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

TacoDelRio wrote:Did he breathe it in, or was it a severe skin reaction thing?
I believe once was for breathing it in, the other was for skin

The time he breathed it in he could have died
That was the end of that line of work.