Photo Climb/Trek up to Mt Baldy - Feb 04 2010

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
mve

Post by mve »

It's been a while since I've made it up to Baldy Summit so when an opportunity came along to take a day off from work I jumped right on it. I checked the weather forecast and it looked promising -- Sunny with nice, puffy cloud cover -- just what I enjoy the most. I also started to wonder ... what if I make it a Photo Trek/Climb and bring the big guns -- full frame camera with the 14mm wide angle lens? Problem is, it weighs a lot -- camera = 43.7 oz, lens = 35.3 oz; 79 oz total :shock: Not something you'd want hanging off your neck climbing Baldy, but that's where it has to be for me if I want to take the shoots instead of thinking how to take the camera out of the pack.

I mounted the lens on the camera, picked it up and almost gave up on the idea, almost ... Then I remembered that I recently bought a new camera case for it and if I could rig it up to my pack where the weight is split 50/50 between the shoulders and hip it might be doable. Of course it still doesn't relieve my knees from the added weight of it all but a little suffering goes a long way :lol:

Here's the finished rig:

I used a self equalizing system for the hip-belt connection and a static length straps for the shoulder straps. All was done using a double runner and 4 biners. It comes on and off very easily and is the most comfortable rig I've used so far. It also proved to be easy to work with in the field:

I got to Manker at 6:35 and was sliding all over the fire-road at 7:00am. As was reported by simonov it's a deadly stretch of icy road now that it's been plowed.

I got my first photo opportunity at the fire-road bend (notice the nice cloud cover moving in ...):

I was at the Ski Hut area by 9am (photo treks are slow):

The day was turning out to be just perfect -- blue sky with nice clouds:

To save on time I went directly for the Bowl without stopping at the Ski Hut. The Bowl was still looking a little cold and not very vibrant:

When doing extreme wide angle photography it's best to be right smack in the face of the subject -- just jam the lens into it. As you can imagine it's a bit of a challenge to do that with the baldy Bowl -- no matter how high I climbed it was not close enough:

I was getting two thirds of the way up when I realized that this is not going to work:

I'd have to climb into the chute and shoot from there, but I promised my family I wouldn't attempt it solo so I decided to traverse across the Bowl onto the ridge of the regular trail, go for the Summit and see what I can shoot up there ...

I was quickly traversing the Bowl and I could see the exit route real close:

In fact I though I'd be out of it in 5-10 minutes max when I found myself on this slope:

The next thing I knew it was as if someone pulled the rug from under my feet, the snow pack moved, I slid, self belay and froze …. immediately the scene of swimming in avalanche debris and ending at the bottom of the bowl started playing in my mind — it send a cold chill down my spine. I was afraid to move, I looked down, up, back and realized that the closest exit is to return the same way I came, I slowly turned around and tried to put my feet into my own tracks — they wouldn’t hold, the whole slope felt so loose it felt as if my steps would send it tumbling down. I dropped few feet down and carefully made new track — it was only 50 feet to safety but it felt as an eternity ... as soon as my crampons bit into the solid snow pack I breathed a sign of relieve :D

Looking around where I was it became apparent that the safest and fastest way up would be to traverse towards DBB and find a moderate slope up the summit from there. This time I paid especially close attention to the snow pack -- thankfully it was in great shape. I found a nice direct route up and took it. Surprisingly it got pretty steep towards the end -- the Bowl is very deceiving:

The weather was just amazing:

I am at DBB level now:

The route:

I topped out at 11:15 -- views from the Summit:

It was very cold and windy -- the snow cave came in very handy:

I ate a quick lunch:

... packed up and headed down using the regular trail. Taking in the scenery as I went:

As I reached the bottom of the ridge I found myself in a pretty cool cloud/whiteout:

The regular trail doesn't get much use I gather -- I was up to my knee most of the time:

It was a bit a of a challenge finding the Ski Hut in the cloud, but after that it was pretty easy. When I reached the end of the trail the clouds passed:

The snowplow is back at it:

He cut a really deep track probably 9ft high in one place:

It was an awesome day!
RyanB

Post by RyanB »

Great picts! That was an awesome day.
jimqpublic

Post by jimqpublic »

Great pictures. Good job on back-tracking when you hit instability.

Regarding the snow removal on Falls Rd. I wonder if the guy with the red Dodge pickup truck is paying for it to get his truck out?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

NICE! MOST EXCELLENT

I gotta look into a wide angle lens

Thanks for the share

Did you do any post processing?

Did you shoot in RAW or ?

Matt
mve

Post by mve »

Thanks Matt -- I stopped shooting RAW when I switched to Nikon 2 years ago, that's also when I dropped post-processing altogether. These are JPG's directly from the camera, re-sized using Nikon ViewNX for Flickr upload.
Dave G

Post by Dave G »

Magical pix, Vitaliy!
I'll bet your "terra firma ain't so firma" incident was scary. I usually relive high pucker events like that in my dreams for a night or two afterwards. :shock:
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Nice lens! :D
mve

Post by mve »

Thanks Dave and yes, this incident gave me a whole new respect for Baldy Bowl -- it's very deceiving and things can turn bad very quickly.

Post by 406 »

nice, love the photos. Fog roll in around 2 pm?
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Awesome photos. Thanks for posting.
mve

Post by mve »

406 wrote:Fog roll in around 2 pm?
It started at ~ 1:00pm and got really thick by 1:20 ... here's a short video I took in the mids of it:

I imagine it would be impossible to navigate in a real/complete whiteout ...
obie

Post by obie »

Simply beautiful. Thank you.

Zach

Post by Zach »

These have to be some of the most beautiful pics I've seen from this area. Great work Vitaly!!! When are you going up again? :lol:
mve

Post by mve »

Thanks Zach! As soon as my knees recover from this one :lol:
mve

Post by mve »

Thank you obie -- glad you like that one.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Man, I love a wide angle lens.

I used to carry my DSLR around up in the mountains, but got tired of that and picked up a P&S.

Those are some excellent photos.

Heading up the bowl on a weekday with no one around is a little alarming.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Really great photos, V. Dig it!
mve

Post by mve »

Thanks Ryan.
mve

Post by mve »

simonov wrote:Man, I love a wide angle lens.

I used to carry my DSLR around up in the mountains, but got tired of that and picked up a P&S.

Those are some excellent photos.

Heading up the bowl on a weekday with no one around is a little alarming.
Thanks Mitch! UWA is my favorite photography too. I am not lugging big DSLR on the trails as much as I used to ... but I try to go on one photo op per season. During summer it's not too bad but in winter we are already lugging more gear than normal and balancing a 5 pound camera on a steep slope gets tricky at times.

And you are right about the bowl/solo/weekday -- even though I had a SAT phone with me -- there are plenty of ways where it wouldn't do any good so that's probably the last time for me ...
BiletChick

Post by BiletChick »

mve -

Wow, your photos are absolutely stunning!!! Thank you for posting them.

Stacy
ps do you shoot a D3 or D700?
mve

Post by mve »

Thank you Stacy -- I shoot D3.
BiletChick

Post by BiletChick »

Very NICE!!! :D
snmtbaldy

Post by snmtbaldy »

Hi MVE,
You take very good picture. Thank you for sharing with us.

I have a small digital camera. The lens fogs up when it gets cold and it won't work.
How do you keep your camera warm?

I am glad that you came down safe.

Shin
mve

Post by mve »

Thank you Shin. The temperature difference can cause lens to fog up -- I keep my small point-and-shoot camera on my pack's hip belt for this reason. The battery must be in good condition otherwise it will loose it's power in the cold.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Super pictures!! I use a binocular strap to carry my camera. It fits somewhat like a shoulder holster with clips on the front straps. The strap takes the weight off your neck and distributes it around the shoulders. Several models are available here http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/commo ... =25&Go.y=6
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Really gorgeous pictures MVE! Amazing composition, color, contrast, sharpness. Which lens? any filter?
mve

Post by mve »

Thanks Elwood -- the lens is Nikon 14-24, it doesn't take filters due to it's massive front element but it really doesn't need to -- it's superb as it is:

I didn't give the Bowl the tribute it deserves -- I really need to get into those chutes, hang in the harness and shoot in some really awkward positions to do that :lol: And a lot of things will have to come together for that to work - weather, time-off from work, climbing partner, etc .. Maybe one of these days ...
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Fantastic pictures!
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

mve wrote: I imagine it would be impossible to navigate in a real/complete whiteout ...
It has it's challenges. I haven't posted a trip report yet but I was up on the Devil's Backbone Friday and it was INSANE! The wind was fiercest I have ever seen, low temperatures, painful ice/snow blasting you in the face, and clouds which prevented you from seeing your own feet thus it was a bit exciting navigating some of the DBB. Epic day but I would have gladly traded it for your weather Thursday. We bailed at the saddle between Hardwood and Baldy (9,500) and went down the VERY icy bowl around 1:30PM

Sorry to steal your post; I will make a my own TR :) But props on a great day and truly amazing pics. I am going to forward it to my climbing partner from Friday as this was his first Baldy trip and we didn't get to see much :lol:
mve

Post by mve »

Thank you GigaMike.

glamisking, are you a storm chaser? :lol: Thank you -- and I am looking forward to your TR ...

Funny story I forgot to mention in my TR -- when I topped out on Thursday the winds were so fierce my face and hands started to freeze, I dropped my pack down and started to fish my parka and heavier gloves out ... then I heard a chopper, looked up and saw a small heli approaching directly towards me. I figured I should give him a signal that I was OK but the winds were so strong I couldn't let go of my pack, so I kept fumbling with it -- the chopper got so close to me I though he was about to land right there were I was -- he was already few feet off the ground. I finally managed to free my hands and give him the OK sign but he wouldn't leave probably wondering what the heck I was doing in there? :lol:

The guy finally left but came around for a second round in few minutes, I managed to snap a video, but he didn't get that close to me this time ...: