Big Iron pushing nonstop 01/09/2010

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

michaelmagno

Post by michaelmagno »

GRAFFITI! Scorn! That makes my blood boil. :evil: Stupid, ignorant, selfish people.
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

Nice multi-media trip report.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who butt slides down steep, loose slopes. Going uphill is no problem. You lean forward, your heels dig in, and you motor up the slope. Going downhill is where it's all slipping and sliding.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Awsome trip report. Not much snow evidently.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

michaelmagno wrote:GRAFFITI! Scorn! That makes my blood boil. :evil: Stupid, ignorant, selfish people.
yeah ridiculous. someone else took a photo of it before, I forget if there was a proper translation of it.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Good job on the fast time.
wrote:yeah ridiculous. someone else took a photo of it before, I forget if there was a proper translation of it.
I think that was me. HikeUp said his coworker thinks it says something like "I'll sacrifice anything to accomplish my ambitions."

https://eispiraten.com/a ... n&start=16

That was from Oct 2008. Too bad it's still there.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

AW and I made it to Muir in under 3 hours :? . Dang that's insane Ze. Now do it again to prove it wasn't a fluke. Did you have a tailwind? :wink:

Regarding the graffiti, Ze's pic shows much clearer characters because the tape is mostly gone. At risk of further humiliation :) I'll make another attempt at getting it translated.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Great job. I don't know why one would ever give up on that fine trail, though. :)
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

HikeUp wrote:AW and I made it to Muir in under 3 hours :? . Dang that's insane Ze. Now do it again to prove it wasn't a fluke. Did you have a tailwind? :wink:
Yeah I did, it was a few guys huffing and puffing right behind me!

AlanK wrote:Great job. I don't know why one would ever give up on that fine trail, though. :)
well never know, but I've been find going 1.5 yrs between visits. There are some other steep ridges I'd like to check out first :wink:
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Niiiice.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

HikeUp wrote:Regarding the graffiti, Ze's pic shows much clearer characters because the tape is mostly gone. At risk of further humiliation :) I'll make another attempt at getting it translated.
It's a line from a poem by Mao Tse-tung. I've highlighted the line that is quoted on Iron...
Like a dim dream recalled, I curse the long-fled past--
My native soil two and thirty years gone by.
The red flag roused the serf, halberd in hand,
While the despot's black talons held his whip aloft.
Bitter sacrifice strengthens bold resolve
Which dares to make sun and moon shine in new skies.
Happy, I see wave upon wave of paddy and beans,
And all around heroes home-bound in the evening mist.
Another more literal translation (i.e. robot translator) is...
"Who have sacrificed more than ambition"

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm going to go up there (after new snowfall) and paint "Big wet donkey penis" on there.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

wrote:
AlanK wrote:Great job. I don't know why one would ever give up on that fine trail, though. :)
well never know, but I've been find going 1.5 yrs between visits. There are some other steep ridges I'd like to check out first :wink:
OK. I just wanted you to admit that you're addicted and will be back. But, yeah... check out a few other great ridges first! :D
AW~

Post by AW~ »

AlanK wrote:
wrote:
OK. I just wanted you to admit that you're addicted and will be back. But, yeah... check out a few other great ridges first! :D
Hehehe...looks like this hike was a recon hike Ze.
I know your group can tackle that south ridge of Ross with all that horsepower.

Re: graffiti....can we(someone :D) just tackle this one with something?
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

Nice work Joe! Looks like I'll have to dig into my photo timestamps to get my exact time to the second. Chances are you probably beat me. I assume your time is from the gate at the parking lot.

Ok, looks like my start time was 7:02:37 (from the gate) and summit time was 9:39:27. So that makes my ascent time 2 hrs 36 mins 50 secs.

So if you rounded up like I did chances are you have the better time. Hell, let's just say you beat me by 2 minutes just so I have a compelling reason to get back up there.

-Rick
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Rick Kent wrote:So if you rounded up like I did chances are you have the better time. Hell, let's just say you beat me by 2 minutes just so I have a compelling reason to get back up there.
Love it! :D
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Rick Kent wrote:Nice work Joe! Looks like I'll have to dig into my photo timestamps to get my exact time to the second. Chances are you probably beat me. I assume your time is from the gate at the parking lot.

Ok, looks like my start time was 7:02:37 (from the gate) and summit time was 9:39:27. So that makes my ascent time 2 hrs 36 mins 50 secs.

So if you rounded up like I did chances are you have the better time. Hell, let's just say you beat me by 2 minutes just so I have a compelling reason to get back up there.

-Rick
lol. who said it was a competition? :P

timestamps tell me 2:37:05

we can settle it on a VillagetoBaldy hike :evil:
Rick Kent

Post by Rick Kent »

Oh man ... so close. That has to hurt!

:)

Baldy? Weak.

When are we gonna do Iron 3 times in one day?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

wrote:lol. who said it was a competition? :P
And who said it wasn't? :)

Just a little friendly search for motivation.
GigaMike

Post by GigaMike »

Damn, I thought someone had finally beat Rick at something! :lol:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Rick Kent wrote:Oh man ... so close. That has to hurt!

:)

Baldy? Weak.

When are we gonna do Iron 3 times in one day?
never! lol