Baldy Register Ridge 12-21-09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I did the familiar trip up Register Ridge to Mt. Harwood, then Mt. Baldy, returning on the Ski Hut Trail. It was a great day for solitary hiking -- I saw no one until I was well below the Ski Hut. It was cloudy but visibility was great -- I could see San Clemente Island from just above Manker Flat until I was almost back to Manker Flat, which is quite rare. Temperatures were in the 30s and 40s and the snow was nice and firm -- no postholing. The wind was howling on top... I did say I went to Mt. Baldy, right?

Pictures
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Beautiful conditions, Alan. Nice, quiet, good cloud cover, not many people, great day out.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Great report Alan, started to think you were out of town?

Nice to have most of the mountain to yourself.

Thanks for sharing that report :D
JayO

Post by JayO »

Alan - Where's Eric? Thought since cross country season was over, you might be able to convince him to come along for the company. I always enjoy tagging along behind my kid up the mountain! :D
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

JayO wrote:Alan - Where's Eric? Thought since cross country season was over, you might be able to convince him to come along for the company. I always enjoy tagging along behind my kid up the mountain! :D
Eric is at home for a couple of weeks. We were going to do Baldy together but we remembered that he had a dentist appointment that had already been put off twice. Don't feel badly for him -- he got to run with a friend who is home from college in the East. We have other things going on for the rest of the week but do plan to get in a couple of hikes next week. And, yes, I will be tagging along behind him. Cross country went well, which puts my a few more steps behind. :oops: