Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Wish I coulda gone! (not)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Dude, stay away from that brush unless it's a really worth while hike. Do too much brush and you'll get to the point where you won't do it even on really cool hikes. Like me. :)
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

From the looks of that pic. Your barely missed running over the bear crap on your departure!........maybe next time :roll:
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Am I correct that there is no way to hike from the end of Etiwanda Avenue to 1N34 without plowing through sticker bushes? That is how I am reading these trip reports.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
Dude, stay away from that brush unless it's a really worth while hike. Do too much brush and you'll get to the point where you won't do it even on really cool hikes. Like me. :)
lol very true. i'm mean, i was hiking this and I'm like, all this for Buck Point?

Prefer to save for mine exploration...
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

edenooch wrote:From the looks of that pic. Your barely missed running over the bear crap on your departure!........maybe next time :roll:
someone else's steps! i don't step in shit!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

RichardK wrote:Am I correct that there is no way to hike from the end of Etiwanda Avenue to 1N34 without plowing through sticker bushes? That is how I am reading these trip reports.
from the two ridges I checked out - nope.

there is allegedly another way up via Foxbourough road, that may have more potential. I'll not be finding out anytime soon.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

At this time of year can't you just drive up 1N34 from Lytle Creek Road?

You didn't go over to San Sevaine Lookout?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:
lol very true. i'm mean, i was hiking this and I'm like, all this for Buck Point?

Prefer to save for mine exploration...
How about some american indian writings/art?
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

HikeUp wrote:At this time of year can't you just drive up 1N34 from Lytle Creek Road?

Moi?

Maybe you could, but I didn't want to drive that far. Rather hike

Too lazy to add 2 more miles to what we did and bag Sam Sevaine Lookuot :P
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

AW wrote: How about some american indian writings/art?
sure. where?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

wrote:
AW wrote: How about some american indian writings/art?
sure. where?
http://www.ci.azusa.ca.us/index.aspx?NID=569
"Many of these markings have been noted several hundred feet above the canyon bottom in the vicinity of Rattlesnake Gulch"

Hehehehe.. :D .
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

wrote:
HikeUp wrote:At this time of year can't you just drive up 1N34 from Lytle Creek Road?

Moi?

Maybe you could, but I didn't want to drive that far. Rather hike

Too lazy to add 2 more miles to what we did and bag Sam Sevaine Lookuot :P
Seriously, did those guys shooting over your bow drive up there or did they bushwhack their way up there? I was thinking of driving up to as close to Buck Point as possible then going up to Etiwanda (if that trail still exists). Any thoughts? I love to off road as much as possible! Would be good to combine off-roading and hiking!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

interesting.

i'm assuming rattlesnake gulch is the same as rattlesnake canyon?
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

HikeUp wrote: Seriously, did those guys shooting over your bow drive up there or did they bushwhack their way up there? I was thinking of driving up to as close to Buck Point as possible then going up to Etiwanda (if that trail still exists). Any thoughts? I love to off road as much as possible! Would be good to combine off-roading and hiking!
oh yeah they drove up, from the east. didn't know there was a trail up to Etiwanda (up a ridge heading north?). that would be a good combo!
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

actually etiwanda ridge is a fire road too. check it out on google maps. try driving up that! :lol:
AW~

Post by AW~ »

wrote:interesting.

I doubt it, but could be it....they going to make you work really hard to get there :D
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks Zé-man.

Regarding the trail up to Etiwanda, check out this historic HPS map (pdf file). Nice bunch of older maps on the HPS site.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

AW wrote:

I doubt it, but could be it....they going to make you work really hard to get there :D
maybe they meant devil's gulch?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

wrote:
AW wrote:

maybe they meant devil's gulch?
too hard to decipher for me...from the sound of it, I assume they are talking about a south traveling drainage west of Devils Gulch...I wonder how they even found it.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I called the SBNF this morning. 1N34 is closed due to the overall fire danger. There is no specific reopen date.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

RichardK wrote:
I called the SBNF this morning. 1N34 is closed due to the overall fire danger. There is no specific reopen date.
You beat me to it. I was gonna call to confirm it was open (the hunters were able to get through so I assumed it was open last weekend). So now I have one indication it is open and one it is closed. Neither source is reliable.

Typical. :D
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

HikeUp wrote: Neither source is reliable.

:x

what, you don't believe me?!

that gunshot and hikers were real, I will tell you that.

I don't know what road # that is, I thought it was 1N03 or something

besides, NF lie all the time about roads being open/closed. or they just are incompetent. at least that's the case with the ANF, I have no experience with SBNF
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

LOL.

I trust Zé and RichardK. I don't know anything about how the hunters got up there (i.e. whether it was legally or illegally) and I see the Forest as patently unreliable (won't go so far as calling them liars. there is a chance their left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing, blah, blah, etc., etc.).
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

wrote:
edenooch wrote:From the looks of that pic. Your barely missed running over the bear crap on your departure!........maybe next time :roll:
someone else's steps! i don't step in shit!
So when we did Tyndalls first 6 miles in the dark. You managed to dodge every landmine?