Baldy Still Closed

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

That sucks was going to do Baldy tomorrow....I asked when Manker Flats TH would open they said not for awhile...
Sam Page

Post by Sam Page »

That's too bad. How about Mt. San Jacinto instead?
simonov

Post by simonov »

Almost no one on Mt San Gorgonio over the holiday weekend.
Nunc est bibendum
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Yo Simon don't let the word out brother.....Worried all the permits will be taken..
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

Hi!

I was planning to do Baldy this Saturday until I saw this post.

I don't mean to challenge anyone here (being a forum newbie and all) but is it still closed?

The site for the Mt Baldy resort shows a race schedule for that same day.

http://www.mtbaldy.com/longboard-hac.htm

Any info is welcome. Thank you.

Al.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

That bike race appears to be within the ski resort and is probably being allowed under a special use permit. I would think that the ANF is still closed to those without specific permission or a permit. The peak and the trails leading to it are in the ANF.

My interpretation and opinion only.
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

HikeUp wrote:That bike race appears to be within the ski resort and is probably being allowed under a special use permit. I would think that the ANF is still closed to those without specific permission or a permit. The peak and the trails leading to it are in the ANF.

Simply put, it is closed (in your opinion)....this %~#^*$!@ sucks.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I was hoping you could prove me wrong! :)
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

I wish I could...

I usually get up there around 4am. Best I can do is chance it Saturday and show up at Manker Flats...

We'll see.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

kristo5747 wrote:I wish I could...

I usually get up there around 4am. Best I can do is chance it Saturday and show up at Manker Flats...

We'll see.
Dude, 10,000,000 other places to hike -- or just go the north route to Baldy, a very cool route.
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

Dude, 10,000,000 other places to hike
I am listening. I am looking for a physical hike...any suggestions???
or just go the north route to Baldy, a very cool route.
Which route is the "north route"? The only routes I know are:

1) mt baldy village church->bear flats->baldy top
2) manker flats->baldy notch->baldy top
3) manker flats->ski hut->baldy top

Is it one of these? :D
simonov

Post by simonov »

kristo5747 wrote:
Dude, 10,000,000 other places to hike
San Bernardino Mountains? Mt San Jacinto?

The LA basin is sorta surrounded by mountains. They are all over.
Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

kristo5747 wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:Dude, 10,000,000 other places to hike
How many do you want? Seriously, no shortage in Southern California. A classic if you haven't done it: the highest point in Southern California, San Gorgonio Mtn (11,502) via Vivian Creek. Pretty good work out. Start at "A" in Mill Creek Canyon in the Forest Falls area and go to the summit "I." Adventure pass required.
kristo5747 wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:or just go the north route to Baldy, a very cool route.
Which route is the "north route"? The only routes I know are:
1) mt baldy village church->bear flats->baldy top
2) manker flats->baldy notch->baldy top
3) manker flats->ski hut->baldy top

Is it one of these? :D
No, not one of those. This route starts in Wrightwood. It's about 14 mi RT. Check out this map of the route. You'll have to scroll around a bit to get it all in frame. Start at "A" on Acorn Dr in Wrightwood. Watch the parking restrictions. End up at "J" (Mt. Baldy). Return you the way you came. Butt kicker. All San Berdoo Nat'l Forest. All legal. Adventure pass not required.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote:No, not one of those. This route starts in Wrightwood. It's about 14 mi RT. Check out this map of the route. You'll have to scroll around a bit to get it all in frame. Start at "A" on Acorn Dr in Wrightwood. Watch the parking restrictions. End up at "J" (Mt. Baldy). Return you the way you came. Butt kicker. All San Berdoo Nat'l Forest. All legal. Adventure pass not required.
Slow down there HJ. Acorn Trail is in the part of the San Berdoo Forest that is administered by the ANF, and is therefore closed. See this thread I started a few days ago. Maybe you could start on the PCT near Gobbler's Knob, then connect to the north backbone to get to Baldy. Stay on the east side of the trail though or else you'll be in the ANF! ;)
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

...San Gorgonio Mtn (11,502) via Vivian Creek]. Pretty good work out. Start at "A" in Mill Creek Canyon in the Forest Falls area and go to the summit "I." Adventure pass required...
I did it this past June via South Fork. Kicked my butt but loved every minute of it. The drive is bit killer for me since I live in the south bay.
This route starts in Wrightwood. It's about 14 mi RT... Start at "A" on Acorn Dr in Wrightwood. Watch the parking restrictions. End up at "J" (Mt. Baldy). Return you the way you came. Butt kicker. All San Berdoo Nat'l Forest. All legal. Adventure pass not required.
I did not know about this one!! I'll check this out. Awesome, thank you!!
Augie

Post by Augie »

I summited Baldy on Labor Day. Of course, it was during the annual Run-to-the-Top. I was great fun as usual. It was a beautiful day and the air entirely clear. From the summit you could see the northeast boundary of the fire. I was expecting they'd leave Baldy open, but I guess they just had it open for the race.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

HikeUp wrote:Slow down there HJ. Acorn Trail is in the part of the San Berdoo Forest that is administered by the ANF, and is therefore closed. See this thread I started a few days ago. Maybe you could start on the PCT near Gobbler's Knob, then connect to the north backbone to get to Baldy. Stay on the east side of the trail though or else you'll be in the ANF! ;)
I saw that thread. I don't think we've really got an answer on that. See my post in that thread.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

OK, talked to some people. The area of the SBNF administered by the ANF is basically the area around Wrightwood that is part of the Valyermo Ranger District, and it is closed.

So, basically what HikeUp is suggesting is what you'd have to do: head in from the east up the PCT and then head south to Baldy. PITA.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Hikin_Jim wrote:OK, talked to some people. The area of the SBNF administered by the ANF is basically the area around Wrightwood that is part of the Valyermo Ranger District, and it is closed.

So, basically what HikeUp is suggesting is what you'd have to do: head in from the east up the PCT and then head south to Baldy. PITA.
Thanks HJ for the corroborating info.

I wish I knew people I could talk to. :lol:
kristo5747

Post by kristo5747 »

So, basically what HikeUp is suggesting is what you'd have to do: head in from the east up the PCT and then head south to Baldy...
PCT being....Pacific Crest Trail???

:oops: As you can tell, I am not from around here...............................
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

kristo5747 wrote:
So, basically what HikeUp is suggesting is what you'd have to do: head in from the east up the PCT and then head south to Baldy...
PCT being....Pacific Crest Trail???

:oops: As you can tell, I am not from around here...............................
Yup. PCT runs north of Baldy, and is easy to jump onto in the Wrightwood Area.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

doesn't matter, can't hike out of wrightwood south to baldy, still will cross the ANF. only way would be to get to Stockton Flat (or east of Dawson Peak) and hike up so you are east and north of the ANF boundary
AW~

Post by AW~ »

kristo5747 wrote:
HikeUp wrote:That bike race appears to be within the ski resort and is probably being allowed under a special use permit. I would think that the ANF is still closed to those without specific permission or a permit. The peak and the trails leading to it are in the ANF.

Simply put, it is closed (in your opinion)....this %~#^*$!@ sucks.
mtbaldy.com again reporting they are open...this time "We are open!! We just got the all clear and we will be open every weekend and holiday."
At least they went from a outright statement to one with some backup, however limited it may be(just who is this 'all clear' from?). Im not hurrying to report it in misc news yet :wink:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

where does it say that?

is baldy notch even in the ANF?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

wrote:where does it say that?

is baldy notch even in the ANF?
http://www.mtbaldy.com/snow-report.htm

Ive given up on what is in the ANF or not or if its closed...it could be implied that they are open starting this weekend the 19th...which is the containment date. To me though, the 'all clear' is a press release from the Angeles lifting the closure order.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

The We in "We are open" could only mean the ski resort, right? The trails and the peaks (other than Thunder perhaps) are not part of the ski resort are they?

The ANF border (including the parts of the SBNF that are administered by the ANF) basically runs from peak to peak all the way from Wright Mt. to Pine, Dawson, Baldy, Harwood, Thunder, Telegraph, Timber, Bighorn, Ontario, Frankish, blah blah blah. Cucamonga and Etiwanda are fair game, as long as you approach them without crossing the ANF. I think that all the peaks listed are fair game as long as you don't get to them by trails/routes in the ANF. Just stay on the SBNF half of the summit! :D

Let's all keep on speculating. It's fun!? Tired of this shit.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

you started it!
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

:oops:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

I called Mt Baldy visitor center. they say that yes, the ski lift is open because it's a privately run business, but you can't hike.

you can take the ski lift, then promptly turn around and take it back down again. no hiking. exciting.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

wrote:I called Mt Baldy visitor center. they say that yes, the ski lift is open because it's a privately run business, but you can't hike.

you can take the ski lift, then promptly turn around and take it back down again. no hiking. exciting.
thanks.....did a ranger give that info? :D ...just kidding them of course...mtbaldy.com goes to the doghouse.