Burglaries

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I know that this is not news to this Board, but is is likely to be of interest to many.

From the Glendale News Press
Sheriff: Burglars target hikers’ cars
Valuables like GPS units should be left at home, not in an unwatched vehicle, authorities say.
By Mary O’Keefe
Published: Last Updated Friday, August 14, 2009 9:05 PM PDT
ANGELES NATIONAL FOREST — Hikers and visitors to the Angeles National Forest should leave their valuables at home when hiking the trials, officials said, citing a rash of burglaries of cars left unattended for hours at a time.

From July 2 to Aug. 8, about 15 vehicle burglaries were reported to the Crescenta Valley Sheriff’s Station that occurred in a variety of recreational areas throughout the forest.

“[Vehicle burglaries and thefts] usually increase in the summer months. They occur in areas like Monkey Canyon, Switzer’s Falls and Big Tujunga Canyon turn outs,” said Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Sgt. Ray Harley.

The common thread between the burglaries is the method of entry into the vehicle — a smashed window. The interior of the car is then usually ransacked and items from laptops to cell phones are stolen, according to crime reports.

“We are finding that people are targeting thefts of iPods and cell phones. There is an irony to that: People come here to get away from technology and relax, but they bring technology with them,” said Stanton Florea, spokesman for the U.S. Forest Service.

The areas are remote and often the victim’s vehicle is the only one parked in the turn-out or parking lot. The burglaries are random, authorities said.

“They are happening every day of the week and usually in the afternoon hours. Because the areas are so remote, there is no one around to hear the smashing of the window or to witness the suspects,” Harley said.

Some of the victims have apparently thought their items were safe because they had hidden them under car seats or in the trunk, Harley said.

“Another trend we are seeing is global positioning systems being stolen and they can be pricey. Visitors like using GPS devices to navigate the forest,” Florea said.

If possible, visitors should take the device from their vehicle and carry it with them, but to be aware even in that scenario, he added.

“It is important to always hike using the buddy system. We advise, if possible, not to take anything of value with them, but if they do, be careful not to get distracted, be aware of your surroundings,” Florea said.

Another common problem along the secluded trails and turn-outs is the dumping of hazardous material in the form of motor oil or paint that is often dumped in canisters, he said.

“We want people to let us know if they see anything like this on the trails. The officers from forest service will have to first identify the material before removing it,” he said.

Harley advised visitors to contact the sheriff’s department or forest service as soon as they can if they discover their car burglarized.

Visitors should also be good witnesses, but for their own safety, should refrain from approaching anyone they find vandalizing a vehicle.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Oh, joy.
platypii

Post by platypii »

My car got broken into about 2 weeks ago on Big Tujunga Canyon Rd while doing Great Falls of the Fox. Fortunately I have nothing of value, except for the fuckin front passenger side window which I had to pay for :evil:

Anyone wanna come with me to set up with a sniper rifle and a bait car?? :twisted:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

platypii wrote:My car got broken into about 2 weeks ago on Big Tujunga Canyon Rd while doing Great Falls of the Fox. Fortunately I have nothing of value, except for the fuckin front passenger side window which I had to pay for :evil:

Anyone wanna come with me to set up with a sniper rifle and a bait car?? :twisted:
I have no idea what you're talking about...

HMMM HRMMM COUGH HUMMM HMMMM

8) :lol:
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

we can use mine. Well setup shop around islip sadle and hide on ledge of mt williamson. Get ur laser range finder and red laser.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I lack lasers and fancy stuff, but I've got some extra Sierra Matchking 168gr HPBT's lying around here somewhere...
Kit Fox

Post by Kit Fox »

TacoDelRio wrote:I lack lasers and fancy stuff, but I've got some extra Sierra Matchking 168gr HPBT's lying around here somewhere...
I can see the news headlines now, "Vehicle burglar found shot dead at Islip Saddle, car break-ins have decreased by 90%" :D
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

I had a window broken out of my van in Death Valley while hiking Corkscrew Peak a few years ago. I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Never, ever leave anything of value in the car.

2. Unlock the doors and roll down a window. That way, the thieves won't smash a window to get in. Locking a car in a remote location is purely psychological protection.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Kit Fox wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:I lack lasers and fancy stuff, but I've got some extra Sierra Matchking 168gr HPBT's lying around here somewhere...
I can see the news headlines now, "Vehicle burglar found shot dead at Islip Saddle, car break-ins have decreased by 90%" :D
We can all dream, can't we?

8)

WTF are burglar-type-folks doing in DV?!
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

The hike to Corkscrew Peak starts off highway 178 which is the main paved road crossing Death Valley east to west. I had a cooler with some bottles of water in the back seat. The top of the cooler was visible through the rear window. My guess is the bad boys saw the cooler and thought it was full of beer. They took 3 bottles of water and a tire guage. Safelite in Vegas had the glass in stock and fixed it in 2 hours the next morning, My wife wanted to see the Belagio as long as we were there. We had lunch - the tab was $150. On the way out, I dropped a quarter in a slot machine and $100 fell out. I declared the day even and drove back to Stovepipe Wells.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Hey that's kinda cool!
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

platypii wrote:My car got broken into about 2 weeks ago on Big Tujunga Canyon Rd while doing Great Falls of the Fox. Fortunately I have nothing of value, except for the fuckin front passenger side window which I had to pay for :evil:

I hear your pain man....

This is all too common, though I understand the knee jerk reaction about shooting the F#@KERS

I think a "sting" would work better though the authorities might not like us doing their job....

Setup a locked car with some valuable in plain sight with video in and out side and still cameras with long lenses from some near by vantage point so we can record the particulars & capture the vermin in the act...

Obviously record the serial number and other vital stats on said valuable item
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Then can we shoot them?
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

HikeUp wrote:Then can we shoot them?
Maybe a little "street justice", "treat'em like a king" and all that. Would suffice

The courts are slow and stupid for sure maybe a good old fashion beating would suffice, "stay out of our forest you scum or you're dead"

But on the other hand these morons may well be armed... If you're packing you'd better be prepared to deal with the consequences, years in court, thousands in legal fees, possible jail time, all while the ass wipe is out doing the same thing & suing you

What a country!
phydeux

Post by phydeux »

How about a fake IED on the back seat? Nothing complex, just a few fake morter rounds wired to an old pager, maybe a few wires running out to the door jams, or even a hardware store motion detector with a red blinky on it, too. Betcha no-one touches your car after they peek inside! Leave some papers on the seat written in Arabic or Farsi script for added authenticity!
Yamaya

Post by Yamaya »

We need these two gents' help.

and
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nobody knows anything, they just know a few random people went "on a joy ride" in the mountains and never came home.

Disclaimer to legal folks: No, I'm not plotting anything. Go ahead and break into my car.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

HAHAHA true that.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Oh balls.