Play your cards right

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

I think the FS for the san gabriels should do this. you could get a deck of cards showing trails and peaks. Or if your Ze mines!

Lebanon Rail Trail focus of hiking card
Updated: 08/15/2009 06:27:48 PM EDT

Enjoy hiking? Wanna make a game out of it?

The Appalachian Mountain Club and the Wildlands Conservancy have created a scavenger hunt that's being held in the 13-county, 1.9-million acre Pennsylvania Highlands. One of the stops during the hunt is the Lebanon Valley Rail Trail.

The Highlands, a region of southeastern Pennsylvania counties from Lehigh to Adams, are the subject of 22 different pocket-sized hiking cards called "Hike the Highlands." The cards are designed to get people to hike the different trails in the Highlands.

"The scavenger hunt is a great way for people to discover the beautiful forests, rivers and farmland in southeastern Pennsylvania, which is practically right out their backdoor," said Jennifer Heisey, Mid-Atlantic recreation planner for the Appalachian Mountain Club. "Families and people of all ages and skill levels can participate. As people look for fun outdoor activities to do this summer, we hope they will think of the Pennsylvania Highlands and will pay them a visit."

Each Hike the Highlands card features one question that requires hikers to actually "hike the highlands" in order to answer them. Hikers are encouraged to submit their answers online at outdoors.org/hikethehighlands, and correct answers will be eligible to win a variety of outdoor gear and other prizes during monthly drawings.

The question on the Lebanon Valley Rail Trail card is as follows: "The Lebanon Valley Rail-Trail follows the route of the former
Advertisement
Quantcast
Cornwall-Lebanon Railroad. There is a location on the trail where the Cornwall-Lebanon Railroad passed over top of what rival railroad in the old days? (Hint: Nearby Cornwall Trailhead)."

The Conewago Recreation Trail, which connects with the Lebanon Valley Rail Trail, is also featured on one of the cards. That card's question asks for the name of the pond at the Conewago Recreation Trail Head.

The scavenger hunt will end Oct. 31. For more information about the scavenger hunt or to download the scavenger hunt questions, visit the organization's Web site (outdoors.org/hikethehighlands). Cards can be picked up for free in Lebanon County at Clarence Schock Memorial Park at Governor Dick in Mt. Gretna, Cornwall Furnace on Rexmont Road in Cornwall or at the Lebanon County Planning Department at 400 S. Eighth St. in Lebanon.

Cards can also be purchased on the organization's Web site at a cost of $4.95, which covers shipping and handling. Cards can also be downloaded there for free as well. For more information or to order the cards, call Heisey at (610) 868-690
phydeux

Post by phydeux »

Here's a similar program around the Big bear Lake area:

http://sevensummitsofbigbear.blogspot.com/
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

What would be cool is if we had a single hand of cards, with a card per hard-to-reach objective. Gnaw mean?

The ace could be on Triplet Rocks, or worse... Big Mermaid Peak (no helo's, that's cheating). Etc etc.

The guy with the most cards by then end of the competition wins.

Who's in?
LD

Post by LD »

I'm in since I already have the ace :D
Unless we have to start over from scratch. That would suck :evil:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I missed something, didn't I?

A new game. The cards are in Russian. They don't have aces, they have Czars. Damn Imperial decks.