Wrightwood to Baldy Traverse, Wright, Pine, Dawson and Baldy

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Hot, Hot and Hotter

Zach and I headed out to Wrightwood by 4:15 AM. Hit the acorn trail at 5:40AM to do the Wrightwood to Baldy Traverse, or W.P.D.B. peaks. Wright, Pine, Dawson and Baldy.

The Acorn Trial is a fun little starter to approach Wright Mountain, we had a pleasant surprise at the summit, 100 feet from the register log a 12 point buck went bouncing off in the distance, he circle completely around the summit and came up the other side of us within a stones throw. Tried to take a clean picture but he got spooked and bounded off in a hurry.

The temps were still doable but it warmed up quickly, by the time we dropped down to the “V” that forms that part of the road where the “Traverse Trail/Devils Backbone – Wrightwood side Devil’s Backbone”, the PCT and the road all come together and started heading up the first ridgeline I knew it was going to be a hot one. We hit the summit of Pine Mountain by 8:45 AM and the temp’s were climbing, by 9:25 we were on Dawson, spend 20 minutes fooling around, before heading down to the saddle that separates Dawson and Baldy – we stashed some of our water just below Dawson as we knew we had to return the way we came.

300 feet above the saddle on the north flank of Baldy I knew I was going to hold up Zach so I said I wanted to head back, it was just too damn hot for me, I was consuming more water than what I would need to get to the top of Baldy, come back down and go over Dawson, Pine and reach the road just below the summit of Wright Mountain to take us out. As it turned out it was a good decision, Zach made the last 790 feet in 30 minutes, summated Baldy while I retraced my steps to the water cache and packed all of it up and headed over the last 100 feet of Dawson thru the saddle between Pine and Dawson and took a 30 minute break at the summit of Pine waiting for Zach to catch up, which he did by 12:30.

I don’t know about anyone else but when it comes to hot weather hiking, it takes way too much out of me. I prefer hiking in 30-70 degree tempts, I can cover more ground, go to higher elevations and not feel tired or sick, hot weather just drains me to the core – and I understand why the “Skyline Trail” is such a risk to people, that is why you will never find me on it in anything reaching 90+ tempts what-so-ever. The massive amounts of water (almost 6 liters) that I was carrying yesterday was for good reason, in high tempts I consume more water, problem for me is it makes me get ill from consuming so much, even if I’ve hydrated properly for the week leading up to the hike. I just cannot cool my throat enough to compensate for the high tempts, I do suck on “Sugar Free” cough drops to help keep my mouth “salivating” as that’s also what makes me drink so much, I cannot keep enough moisture in my mouth, which causes me to slow down more, drink more, etc… etc… etc…”vicious cycle”.

I grew up in the Midwest and the intensity of the “sun” here is always a factor for me to consider when hiking.

Moral of the story is I like to go early, when’s it’s cool, know when to throw in the towel and yet not be a burden to any of my hiking partners. We had a great time and as we approached the turn off to the “acorn trail” on the way out, we ran into three car loads of people coming back from one of the camp grounds, they gave us “Ice” for a our water bottles and one extra water each, that was the best part of the whole day. Half the ice went up under my hat to cool off my head, at the same time the “clouds” rolled in off the coast and cooled things down even more. Cannot wait for the fall when I can go back and try this in cooler weather. Thank you kindly to those campers :D :D

Pictures here - http://s728.photobucket.com/albums/ww28 ... =slideshow
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Sweet. Some nice pictures there. What was the total mileadge?
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Good route. Think i will try it in Oct-Nov
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Zach covered 16+ miles, I was around 13 or a hair under that.

We both agreed that if it was cooler and no fooling around on the Peaks we could have been to the summit of Baldy in just over 4 hours especially if we night hiked it on a Moon Lit night, another 5 hours to Heaton Flats with water cached in the right places?

Food for thought. :D
Zach

Post by Zach »

Does anyone want to clear the trail between Rattlesnake and SMH? Free beer for any takers.

okay so maybe you'd be "making" the trail... same difference
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Cool deal. I'm with you on hot weather hiking. I also drink a ton of water just to keep moving.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

very nice. I really want to do this trail, sounds nice and tough. I considered doing this past weekend too, but I figured as you did the heat would be a killer for carrying water.
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

Its always good to see folks hiking the REAL Devil's Backbone Trail.
I love that hike.
I first hiked it way back in the mid-70's. I can't say how many times I have hiked it, but it never gets old.

I did it last year on the first day of hunting season. Believe it or not, there were 2 hunters trying to go up Pine Mountain. I asked them what in the wild wild world of sports they think they would shoot up there. Better yet, how the hell they would get it back to the Blue Ridge road?
They just shrugged their shoulders and went on back towards Blue Ridge.
One never knows what you will find on a hike.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Richard N. wrote:Its always good to see folks hiking the REAL Devil's Backbone Trail.
I love that hike.
I first hiked it way back in the mid-70's. I can't say how many times I have hiked it, but it never gets old.
Lilbitmo and I were wondering about that backbone section. Have you done it during the winter with snowy conditions? Also, that northern side to Baldy looked sick! This was my first time in that neck of the woods. Looks like it'd be a great route during the winter.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Access is always an issue in the winter and early spring.

Maybe you could ski the road to reach the T/H.
Hmmmn. Now that's an intriguing thought.....
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

EManBevHills wrote:Access is always an issue in the winter and early spring.

Maybe you could ski the road to reach the T/H.
Hmmmn. Now that's an intriguing thought.....
Actually, that's a very interesting thought. Hmm.

Or ski to Lupine or Cabin Flat. All interesting options. Most intriguing.