Ontario Peak 2009-07-03

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

We hiked Ontario Peak on Friday. Starting at 7:30AM, I was astonished to see that the parking lot was still 2/3 empty. For once, Icehouse Canyon was more of a wilderness experience instead of a conga line. The small spring just below the saddle has now dried up. The water flow at Kellys was decent, but seemed a bit smaller than last week.

There are nice views from the trail junction above Kellys. The haze was a bit thinner than usual so you could make out Ontario airport and the Santa Ana Mountains.

It's also one spot from where you can see the peaks from West Baldy to Cucamonga.

Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

wow that last one is a really nice shot. I vote for forum picture
He219

Post by He219 »

RichardK wrote:We hiked Ontario Peak on Friday.

Great picture Richard!
Nice clouds over Baldy that HikeUp and hvydrt wrote about ..
simonov

Post by simonov »

RichardK wrote:The small spring just below the saddle has now dried up.
Do you mean Columbine Spring? Hard to imagine that one drying up in just two weeks.

That last panorama shot is stunning. I second the vote for new forum pic.
Nunc est bibendum
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

I heard a ranger say that in the 25 years he has been in the area, Columbine spring has never been dry.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Columbine Spring continues to flow well. There is a small spring a few hundred feet below the saddle that is now dry. It is only a trickle at the spring peak. Here is a picture made on June 13 when it still had a little water. Is is easy to walk by without realizing that it is there.

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

RichardK wrote:Columbine Spring continues to flow well. There is a small spring a few hundred feet below the saddle that is now dry. It is only a trickle at the spring peak. Here is a picture made on June 13 when it still had a little water. Is is easy to walk by without realizing that it is there.
Hi, Richard, I've heard people mention that spring before, but as many times as I've been through that area, I've never seen it. Where is it exactly in relation to the saddle? I assume it's on the Icehouse Canyon side, yes? Where is it in relationship to the trail?
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

I see it's fate has been signed, sealed, and delivered!
Well done.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

What happened?
simonov

Post by simonov »

TacoDelRio wrote:What happened?
Big forum pic borked up the line lengths.

You'll have to reduce the width.
Nunc est bibendum
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

simonov wrote:
TacoDelRio wrote:What happened?
Big forum pic borked up the line lengths.

You'll have to reduce the width.
Yosh.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Hikin_Jim - That spring is between the eastern Chapman Trail junction and the Icehouse Saddle. There is a short section of straight, flat trail that then makes a sharp hairpin turn to the left going uphill. The spring is off to the right of the flat section as you hike towards the saddle. A faint use trail about 10 feet long leads to it. We are hiking Cucamonga on the 18th. I can get a picture of the area.

Board admins - Thanks for using my picture, much appreciated. If you need a different size, go to my smugmug site www.richardk.smugmug.com and the gallery Ontario Peak 2009-07-03. I put a lot of pictures there - the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

As the sole admin fer this here board, does it look right? It fits my browser right, but my monitor is set to a higher resolution.
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Looks great on my MAC!
;>}
norma r

Post by norma r »

taco,
photo looks good. i vote for having real time/real season photo as the board pic fer this here board, if you've got the time.

great pano RK!
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

norma r wrote:taco,
photo looks good. i vote for having real time/real season photo as the board pic fer this here board, if you've got the time.

great pano RK!
How do I do this? :lol: I'm still a n00b at the phpBB setup.
norma r

Post by norma r »

taco,

you're not asking me for advice on putting up a photo are you? i can't even figure out how to load an avatar!!!! :cry:

but it would be cool to have a board pix in the fall when the leaves turn color in Icehouse Canyon, and a winter scene in winter, etc. just my .02 cents.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

norma r wrote:taco,

you're not asking me for advice on putting up a photo are you? i can't even figure out how to load an avatar!!!! :cry:

but it would be cool to have a board pix in the fall when the leaves turn color in Icehouse Canyon, and a winter scene in winter, etc. just my .02 cents.
I try to do that, and I wish there was a way for it to automatically scroll through a sort of album. I'm sure there is... I'm gonna look into it right now.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Yeah dunno... :lol: BUT... expect things to change for the better by 2010. My hopes are for this forum to evolve into a real site with its own domain name, and user-created content.