Iron Mountain 6-5-09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Eric and I did Iron Mountain from Heaton Flat on a gloomy June day. Temperatures were in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. With the wind on top, it was cold enough to numb hands and motivate an early departure for home. Visibility varied a lot, but it was definitely very low on top. The trail is somewhat overgrown in many places, but not so bad that wearing shorts resulted in a lot of bloodshed. We saw no one the entire time we were out.

This was Eric's 8th Iron Mountain and my 9th. We did it every year at this time from 2001 throuth 2007 but never got around to it last year.

Pictures
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

nice job. this is definitely a good time to do it
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

wrote:nice job. this is definitely a good time to do it
It was a great day for that trip. I didn't take my first sip of water until we reached the top. I've never had that happen before in June! My only regret was... no gloves! :D
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

You did pick a great day for Big Iron. Looks like next weekend might be cool too.
bike&hike

Post by bike&hike »

We did Iron on 5/16/09
Coming back down was so hot.
Each one of the 2 of us brought 6 liter of water and drank it all. To me, it sounds kinda funny when you say ....You took your first sip of water at the summit.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

bikehike wrote:We did Iron on 5/16/09
Coming back down was so hot.
Each one of the 2 of us brought 6 liter of water and drank it all. To me, it sounds kinda funny when you say ....You took your first sip of water at the summit.
It was a different experience from the usual. Several years ago, we did Iron Mountain in July and consumed 7 liters between us -- the temperature was over 100 when we got back to the car. Getting numb on top was kind of unusual for this time of year.