bbqing in San Gabriels

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

I was thinking of cooking out next Saturday around noon somewhere in the mountains, could be in the frontrange or up the 2 (but ideally not very far).

I was thinking Switzers or Redbox could be nice, but I would guess their grills would be taken up early in the morning.

So, could anyone suggest places with bbq grills that I wouldn't have to "claim" in the morning?

If I bring a grill, what locations am I allowed to use it?

Is it in poor taste to "claim" tables and grills 4 hrs in advance? If I had to do that, I would just leave and go hike for a while.

Thanks
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Not if you're heavily armed! Just kidding.

You may be able to contact one of the ranger stations to see if you can reserve stuff. They might do the whole papers on the tables thing, "this table reserved for that guy who loves bush". :wink:

That is, unless, those sites are flooded.
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

I'd go to Charlton Flat or Chilao picnic areas. Switzer's is not worth it on most weekends... too many people.

Charcoal grills can only be used in developed areas (campground or picnic areas) that have a USFS provided stove or fire pit. Gas/jellied grills can be used anywhere, but require a CA campfire permit if used outside of a developed campground or picnic area.

No reservations can be made for any picnic area.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

thanks.

is there a nice map online with all the campground / picnic areas on it?
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

Go to the Pine Picnic area just a short drive on the Angeles Forest Highway, maybe 1 mile from Clear Creek Junction & Angeles Crest Highway. No one goes there and I mean no one. You will see the main parking lot but if you drive maybe 100 yards farther down the road you'll see the gate that leads right to the picnic grounds. Park on the road side and just make the short walk. Tables stoves and a lot of shade & quiet. Most people do not even know this place is there. Most just see is a big dirt parking lot. If you do use the big dirt lot, you have to take about 1/4 - 1/2 mile walk to the picnic ground. I recommend parking at the old gate and just walking 50 yards to the site.
I believe the out houses are locked so be sure to dig deep if need be.;)

You can pick up a fire permit at the visitors center at Clear Creek Junction up the road a taste.

No tables can be reserved but if you get there early enough and put a sign on it, it just might work... at Switzers that is. Good Luck. Its a zoo there any weekend day.

Also, weekends up at Charlton Flats is getting over run these day as well. It seems everyone wants to go to the forest.
MtnMan

Post by MtnMan »

Something to keep in mind, although the sign is still there, the Pines Picnic area is no longer a regularly maintained/commissioned site.. in other words, restrooms are closed, trash receptacles removed, and I believe all the grills were yanked out, which would legally keep you from having a charcoal BBQ. (gas still ok w/permit) Also, part of this picnic area burned severely in the "The Pine's Fire" (from a man having an illegal BBQ :?) a couple years ago, so it's not as pleasant of a place as it used to be.
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

As I mentioned, if you have to go, dig a hole. The tables are there and you need a fire permit. I did mention that. Bring your own BBQ and you're good to go. If the fire burnt this area, when I was there last week, it sure did recover fast, like real fast. The tree's are tall and the odds of having anyone else there is extremely remote.
I say, take a after work drive up and see for yourself. I was there today as well and it was shrouded in fog. It was pretty neat.