Momyer Trail to San Gorgonio summit 5/16/09

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Liz

Post by Liz »

After months of avoiding the snow, I happily returned to my favorite, local stomping ground today- the San Gorgonio Wilderness. I decided to try something new, and was in need of a relatively high mileage day.

I started my hike from the Momyer Creek TH, and ended on Vivian Creek. I had never ventured up the Momyer Trail before, so I was interested in checking it out. Thanks to some good tips I received, I easily spotted the trail, across from the parking lot, and went upstream a bit, easily finding a good place to cross. Before I made my crossing however, I looked around, and saw a big bear about 15 yards upstream. Fortunately he wasn't interested in me, and headed farther upstream. That was my first time seeing a bear, all alone. Not that my husband or friends could really protect me from a bear, but it did remind me that I was ALONE and I was about to hike a trail that promised SOLITUDE. Point taken.

Anyway, the trail was easy to follow, even with the downed trees. Water was flowing very nicely at Alger Creek and Plummer Meadows. I did not go down to Dobbs, but I'd bet water is fine there, too. I was a little disappointed. Reviews of this trail said views were amazing- unrivaled. I beg to differ. Oh yes, it was nice, but in my opinion, nowhere near as scenic as Vivian Creek or the San Bernardino Peak Trail. Anyway, my 2 cents on that.

I took a short break at Dollar Lake Saddle (my second of two breaks on the uphill. Hey, I was hungry today.) After that, I lost the trail a few times, as it was obscured by snow. I unexpectedly post holed up to my knees a few times. I got a little lost and had to do some backtracking. Finally, I found the trail again, and life was good.

Conditions on the summit were pretty sweet. It was sunny and warm, with a light breeze. There was a little haze, so views weren't as good as usual, but I was happy and warm up there! This was a nice way to enjoy my 10th time on that summit.

This was my first solo hike in about 2 months, and it was my first 20+ mile day since October. So, I enjoyed the adventure (and the workout). I met some nice people, and also ran into a friend I'd met last September at the Whitney Portal. I took my time on my way down Vivian, enjoying lots of socializing. I even found some nice people to give me a ride back to my car. Here's to not hiking the remaining 5 miles to my car! Yay!

I took some pics, but I really don't have any good ones. The haze did make it hard to get great pics, at least with my level of skill.

I covered about 21 miles today, and from low to high point, gained about 6,050 feet. However, the Momyer trail rolled a lot. I would lose elevation, only to gain it right back. I'd estimate that I climbed more like 6,800 feet or so. I did this in about 10 hours, but I'll admit that includes at least 2.5 hours of breaks. It was just a nice day to stop and chat on the downhill. This is not the most interesting hike I've ever done, but it makes a good training hike.

I'll be back in the San Gorgonio Wilderness again soon!
simonov

Post by simonov »

Sounds like you didn't see anyone on the Momyer Trail.

I used to patrol that trail and as far as I can tell it has no redeeming features aside from solitude and the fact it takes you to nice trail camps like Alger Creek and Dobbs Cabin.
Nunc est bibendum
Liz

Post by Liz »

I only saw one hiker, who I think is on the San Gorgonio board as Urankjj, for the first 10 minutes of the hike. After that I saw no one else until I was about a mile from Dollar Lake saddle. I did see 2 tents at Alger Creek, but it was pretty much just lil' old me. A few hikers yesterday called me things like, "ambitious" and "gutsy." Ha ha! Yeah, I'm just a girl in the wilderness.

:)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

simonov wrote:Sounds like you didn't see anyone on the Momyer Trail.

I used to patrol that trail and as far as I can tell it has no redeeming features aside from solitude and the fact it takes you to nice trail camps like Alger Creek and Dobbs Cabin.
In terms of the mechanics of trails, the route from the Momyer trailhead to Dollar Lake Saddle is one of my least favorite trails, particularly since they changed the trailhead to its current location (the trail used to follow the ridge all the way down).

In terms of solitude and interesting country, though, it's a great hike.

I agree that the views aren't the best. I think the San Bernardino Peak Trail, the Sky High Trail, the Vivian Creek trail, and the Fish Creek trail all have better views.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Liz wrote:I only saw one hiker, who I think is on the San Gorgonio board as Urankjj, for the first 10 minutes of the hike. After that I saw no one else until I was about a mile from Dollar Lake saddle. I did see 2 tents at Alger Creek, but it was pretty much just lil' old me. A few hikers yesterday called me things like, "ambitious" and "gutsy." Ha ha! Yeah, I'm just a girl in the wilderness.

:)
I think ya done great and that you've explored an interesting corner of the SGW. I may be full of it here, but I think the true SGW afficiandos do wander into the less trod corners of the wilderness. The trails are a bit less clear and you are a bit more "on your own," but I find those characteristics appealing. :)

Good job on navigating on a snow obscured trail, by the way.

Next, you'll have to try the Momyer creek trail straight up to the ridge (instead of heading over toward Dobss and Plummer Mdws). That's a tough hike on an unmaintained trail. And don't forget Big Tree, the trail from Johns Meadow to Manzanita Springs (nice high mileage loop can be had here), the old trails by Lodgepole Spring, etc. :)

See why I like the SGW so much?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

That's a great hike. It's only a mile and a half from the Vivian Creek parking lot to the Momyer trailhead. We've finished off several hikes with that walk down the road past the friendly residents of Forest Falls. It's not bad at all. Especially in the downhill direction! :D
Liz

Post by Liz »

Now that I'm well rested and thinking clearly, I decided to post some pics from my Saturday adventure. They are not too exciting, but they do add credibility to my claims.

www.flickr.com/photos/33777171@N06/sets ... 329636801/
:D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hi, Liz,

Great photos. What's the deal with the blue thing on the sign post? Looks like someone lost an insul pad I guess.

By the way, that sign post (with the blue thing on it) is where the unmaintained trail takes off to go (more or less) straight up to the San Bernardino Peak Divide. It's quite steep and far more challenging than going to Dollar Lake Saddle. Using that trail, you can do all nine of the "San Gorgonio Nine* Peaks" as a big loop, exiting at Vivian Creek. I'll expect your trip report next week. ;) :lol:

Seriously though, nice photos. Thanks for the photo of the sign at the junction of the Falls Creek Trail and the side trail to Dobbs. That's a new sign. The old sign was affixed to a tree that fell some time ago, leaving that junction unsigned for many years. The point at which the Falls Creek Trail starts up the ridge en route to Dollar Lake Saddle is not obvious. I've read TR's where people went all the way down to Dobbs (and lost all that elevation; ouch) before they figured out that they had needed to turn uphill some time back but had failed to do so. I'm glad to see that photo therefore. (you got off easy. next time I'm going to go ahead of you and remove all the signs so you'll have a better navigational challenge. you're welcome) :)

HJ

*You probably know this, but the "San Gorgonio Nine Peaks" are (east to west along the divide): San Bernardino Peak, East San Bernardino Peak, Anderson Peak, Shields Peak, "Alto Diablo" (a big nothing), Charlton Peak, Little Charlton Peak, Jepson Peak, and San Gorgonio Mountain. Just for reference, Dollar Lake Saddle lies between Alto Diablo and Charlton Peak. Take the loop, and you get five extra peaks, all above 10,000'. :) :) :)
Liz

Post by Liz »

I'm likely doing the 9 peaks challenge the weekend of summer solstice. I'm doing c2c really soon. Woo hoo.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Liz wrote:I'm likely doing the 9 peaks challenge the weekend of summer solstice.
Which route are you going to take?
Liz

Post by Liz »

I don't know which route. My hiking buddy knows though.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

lol. Hope your buddy doesn't trip and hit his/her head on a rock!
Liz

Post by Liz »

Ha ha! I'm sure he won't fall and hit his head. That's something I would do. Ha ha ha!
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

Looks like you really had a great hike.
I really enjoy the Momyer Trail. Going through Saxson & Plumbers Meadow is always very nice. Seems like even in late August the wild flowers are still blooming.

Your 9 peaks trip will be one you won't forget. I did it in October 07'. Started out up the San Bernardino Peak Trail @ 2:30am. From SB peak I just headed east across the top of the wilderness. It was fantastic. I saw no one until after the Vivian junction. Temps when I started were in the high 20's on SB peak. I finished @ Vivian Trailhead @ 4:30pm. Enjoyed a nice Mexican dinner in Mentone afterwards.

If I were to do it again, I'd take the same route.

Have a good time.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Hey Richard N!

Where'd you find a yummy Mexican dinner in Mentone? I tried one place there last fall and wasn't impressed. I think there's at least 1 other in town. On your left or right passing through, post-hike?

9 Peaks Challenge will be cool! But tackling c2c first. In July I'll backpack for 7 days in the Sierras. Later this summer I'll celebrate my birthday on the summit of San Gorgonio, and I'll day hike Whitney...again. Lots of big fish to fry, huh?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I think "El Mexicano" in Forest Falls is decent. Nothing to rave about compared to some of the really top notch restaurants in LA, but decent. I like the mountain ambience, and I like to support the local community up there in Forest Falls. If hiking bring in business they're less likely to put restrictions on things.

Don't know of anything special in Mentone although I always enjoy a float at A&W.

There's a Chipotle just south of I-10 in Redlands on Orange. Chipotle is no big shakes, but it's a chain, so if you like what they serve in LA/OC, then you know what you'll be getting in Redlands.

I like the little Thai restaurant a few doors south down Orange from Chipotle. I feel a little underdressed if really thrashed off the trail but the food's good and the prices reasonable.

There's a Trader Joes across the street (Orange) from the Thai restaurant, a great place to pick up trail mix, power bars, bottled water, etc. in case you've forgotten anything in your haste to get out the door.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

I'll vouch for Casa Maya, the Yucatan place in Mentone. :D
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Is that the one right on 38? I think it's before the A&W, yes?
JEFFSCOF

Post by JEFFSCOF »

Hey Liz,

I'm an idiot what weekend is that? June 27th?
Liz

Post by Liz »

Oops...actually I meant the weekend of summer solstice. I was thinking of doing the hike on Sat 6/20. Summer solstice is 6/21.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Hikin_Jim wrote:Is that the one right on 38? I think it's before the A&W, yes?
Casa Maya is on 38, a couple of blocks past A&W, on the right as you head downhill.