Backpacking in CO

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Zach

Post by Zach »

Hey, I was wondering if anyone had any good ideas/locations for backpacking in Colorado (near the Denver area). Looking for a 4-5 day trip. I'd prefer a loop hike so if you guys know of any I'd appreciate the beta.

PS: solitude is preferred
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Hey Zach, The Denver area has some really nice loop hikes real close to the city, but they are mostly under 11 miles. Not sure how close you can stay to Denver while trying to find solitude for 4-5 days.

Just north of Denver in Rocky Mountain NP, you definately need to do Long's Peak via the Keyhole route. This can be done in one long day, but an overnight would be cool.

But, if you want a long multiday look into one of these:

Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness Trails - 100 miles
Nothing but superlatives roll off the tongue when contemplating the Maroon Bells–Snowmass Wilderness: the beautiful symmetry of the Maroon Bells, trails leading over nine passes above 12,000 feet in elevation, the delectable hot springs of Conundrum Creek, and shimmering alpine lakes nestled at the feet of jagged peaks, six of which crest at over 14,000 feet.

Collegiate Peaks Wilderness Trails - 105 miles
The Collegiate Peaks Wilderness may very well possess the highest average elevation of any wilderness area in the contiguous 48 states. Eight peaks exceeding 14,000 feet are found here, including the state’s third- and fifth-highest summits, Mount Harvard and La Plata Peak. In addition, another half-dozen peaks soar over 13,800 feet.

You can find more information of these two hikes and others in these books:

The Complete Guide to Colorado's Wilderness Areas
100 Classic Hikes in Colorado
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Hi Zach,

My brother in law lives in Littleton, just outside Denver. He's a climber and hiker, and recommends this area:
Not sure how much he wants to cover, but I would say lost creek wilderness
http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fus ... ew&WID=331

tons of trails, easy to avoid the high traffic ones, great views.

http://www.topo.com/trips/479-lost-cree ... ess-trails

About an hour drive from denver to any of the trail heads, can be a loop, or hike though to West side, or 2 hour drive to west entrance and get picked up on the east side
Zach

Post by Zach »

thanks!