Lake Ave loop 4-29-09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

in Huntington Beach at 4am, ride our bikes 15 miles to downtown long beach, catch the metro lines to Lake Ave in Pasadena, ride a bus up Lake, walk 2 miles down Alta Dena Ave, go up from Eaton to Henninger flats, then to Idlehour Trail Camp, then up some canyon to Lowe Camp, climb Mt Lowe, sleep, descend from Inspiration Point to Echo Mtn, then to lake ave. then ride the bus and trains back to LBC, stop for some beer, and ride bicycles back to Huntington Beach.

19 hours
30 bike miles
18.5 trail miles
4 miles of walking thru the suburbs of AltaDena
long day...fun day

PIX:

the was a mountain of bear shit every 100 yards on the idlehour trail

theres a bum that lives at idlehour

freshly ripped off squirrel tail, still blood on the ground
Zach

Post by Zach »

very cool... god i hope you didnt drink the water coming out of that tank.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Looked like a pretty cool trip. glad you had all day to enjoy it. Do you know why the squirrel tail was ripped off?
outwhere

Post by outwhere »

Very cool, such variety... and to cap it off the 15 miler from LB>HB :shock: :shock:
Not sure what I'm most amazed at, the area you covered or the fact your bikes were still there when you got back to LB :P

Great pics too... liked this one the very most. Those cabins are a trip!

And he's got a fire going :P :lol:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

wow, nice job on the trek!
Dudley Heinsbergen

that water was delicious! i probably drank 2 gallons of it

and yeah thats why i got a nice bike lock
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I'm pretty sure I saw that bum's tent last November 1st. Creepy place if you ask me.

Nice trip and cool pics.
Dudley Heinsbergen

i vote that idlehour trail camp is the creepiest place in the San G's
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Cool trip! I haven't been on the Idlehour trail - that's some nice country back in there. Love the squirrel tail - that's new. Maybe they break off, and regenerate, like lizards? :lol:

Great pics.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Idlehour is creepy? Uh, oh. I had been thinking of camping there. :shock:

Where is that water tank? And that water tunnel? I don't recall anything like that in that area.
Dudley Heinsbergen

the water tank is 100 yards above the site of Ye Alpine Tavern, at Mt Lowe Camp, then follow the pipe that comes out while traversing the side of the gully uphill and the pipe leads to the spring, which is that tunnel cut out of the hill. a steel door is blocking the tunnel.

if it was really hot, you could swim in it, but you'd get sweat and grime in the water supply that i drink and dont filter, so thatd be a bad idea.
ive been drinking it for years
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Interesting. I've not noticed that tank before. I've always thought that Mt. Lowe Trail Camp was dry. Has the water in that tank always been accessible? Is there a faucet somewhere? Or do you just have to hope the tank is leaking? :)

I'll have to look for that tank next time I'm there. Be nice to have water there.
Dudley Heinsbergen

ya there are a lot of holes it leaks thru, and it even flows on til at least september

Post by 406 »

nice tr.
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

The trail out of Idlehour is the Alpine Trail.
How was the trail in through Idlehour?? My last trip through is was pretty overgrown as was most of the camping areas. Lots of ticks as well.:evil:
I do know of a location in the area that's perfect for camping. Found it many years ago. And I'm sure very very few even know it exists. :D

As far as the water in the tank... I fill up there almost every time I'm up there. I let everyone know that there is always water at the camp and how to find it. When they find out they are so grateful. The water comes from a water mine up a ways. I have never seen the tank without water.

No filtering required. WHY :?: :?: :?:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Richard N. wrote:My last trip through is was pretty overgrown as was most of the camping areas. Lots of ticks as well.:evil:

I do know of a location in the area that's perfect for camping. Found it many years ago. And I'm sure very very few even know it exists. :D
Care to share?
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

I couldn't see the photo's until I arrived at home.
The Idlehour Camp looks nice when green. The water flow looks great for this time of the year.

As far as the bear scat and the squirrel tail, well the bear is more than likely living in the canyon. We saw tracks of one when we were in there and the tracks we saw were about 10" wide. I'm sure I wouldn't want to cross its path.
Now the squirrel tail is interesting. Whatever was eating it, was still close by. You had to have scared it of, what ever it was. So figure out what eats a squirrel and you know what might have been watching you.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Richard N. wrote:The trail out of Idlehour is the Alpine Trail.
How was the trail in through Idlehour?? My last trip through is was pretty overgrown as was most of the camping areas. Lots of ticks as well.:evil:
Last Nov. the trail from the toll road into the campground was in perfect condition.
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

I could but then I'd have to kill you!!

Hiking Jim wrote:Care to share?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Richard N. wrote:I could but then I'd have to kill you!!

Hiking Jim wrote:Care to share?
I've told you a 1,000,000,000,000,000 times not to exaggerate. :D