Wildlife Sightings (sorry no pics)

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

My gf and I went up to the San Gabriels yesterday just to drive around, on dirt roads, the Santa Clara Divide road and a few other places we hadnt been for a while. Anyways we got really lucky :D and saw a pretty good amount of wildlife, maybe because it was raining/ sprinkling. We saw a bobcat sprint across the road in front of us on Angeles Forest highway near Monte Cristo campground which was really cool :shock: , but it happened very quickly so no pic. We also went up to Chilao, and were driving around looking for wildlife since the sun was setting, we spotted a dear standing in the road near the Chilao visitor center, but it ran as soon as I tried to get close to get a pic. After, seeing the deer we drove to the dirt road that takes you to Horse Flats from Chilao, as soon as we were nearing the dirt road we saw two more dears standing like statues not moving at all on the hillside a few hundred feet away. By this time though it was already getting dark so once again no pics. Throughout the day we also seen several large birds that ran across the dirt roads, none of them appeared as if they flied so Im not sure what they are, possibly roadrunneers. Are there roadrunners in the San Gabriels? At least thats what I thought they were. Well sorry for such a long post with no pics, I thought I would just share these sightings with you guys since when hiking Im sure most of you can relate that on most trails theres not too much wildlife, at least not during the day. After a while you come to think that you probably wont see much large wildlife, but I learned today is it's all about being in the right place at the right time, and make sure your scanning the hillsides really closely since the deer especially blend in really well...... 8)
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

Nice!
There are roadrunners in the SG but I have only seen'em down low, never up at Chilao, but where you see them is where they are

I saw a nice rattler yesterday all coiled up, got a real good long look, we where behind the head so I'm not sure it knew we where there.

Saw a lizard a short ways away and gave it a heads up but it didn't seem to care :roll: "Man you're living in a dangerous neighborhood!"

Matt
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

That's a great bunch of sightings - especially for just one day. Really cool that you saw a bobcat!!

I didn't know we had roadrunners - until I saw Matt's post, I was thinking you must have just seen quail.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I suspect that you are correct, Cougarmagic. I'll bet that those were quail and not roadrunners. A couple of reasons... one doesn't usually see several roadrunners on one place (like quail) and roadrunners tend to be lower altitude, warm weather birds: roadrunner
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

cougarmagic wrote: I didn't know we had roadrunners - until I saw Matt's post, I was thinking you must have just seen quail.
After looking at pictures online I'm pretty sure what we saw were quails, not roadrunners........ Im not that good when it comes to identifying birds :oops: