Mueller Tunnel

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Our old buddy FO stopped his San Jacinto board anti-tresspassing crusade long enough to post some news about a local tunnel that is faimiliar to many.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I stopped by Eaton Saddle today and took a few pictures.

Yellow caution tape, dirt/rocks piled up on road behind gate, and signs indicating road is closed...

Even the president says so...

Overview pictures of slide...

Original pictures can be found here (along with pictures of other places I visited today).
Zach

Post by Zach »

I'm going up to Inspiration Point to dig that f*cking pry bar up and toss it down the mountain, never to be seen again.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Zach wrote:I'm going up to Inspiration Point to dig that f*cking pry bar up and toss it down the mountain, never to be seen again.
I'm in, and I know of one other. When we doing this?
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

bIGASS SLIDE. tHAT PEAK LOOKS COOL. Damn caps lock.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

You people are strange.

Here's a picture from a similar spot from a year ago...

Annotated version...
Click to see full size image

Oh, and it's San Gabriel Peak.
lik2hik

Post by lik2hik »

Here are some updated photo's from Sunday 4/26. Looks like they partially cleared the slide, or they cleared it and more came down.
Plenty of hikers and bikers were using the tunnel & trail.

The east end entrance

Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

The photos posted showing the tunnel are nothing in comparison to what its like today.
The opening on the west side is so small you have to crawl out near the top. The rock pile is almost covering the entire opening to the tunnel.
One has to climb up to get out.
Its quite the sight.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Here are three pictures from May 15, 2009.

There is plenty of room to walk through.

The tunnel is clear, of course.

Just for fun -- this sign is a bit of an overstatement.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Alan, just what kind of value are you getting for your education dollar? Can't Eric read that sign? Why, that trail is unsafe for travel (I just "know" you guys wouldn't ignore that sign, right). :wink:
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

We came through the tunnel from the other direction. We got all the way through and then my educated son saw that the road was unsafe. Naturally, he was shocked, as the picture shows. :o
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

You two could have been killed! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:wink:
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

The 12' rock pile at the west end of the tunnel was cleared on Monday the 11th. I was told about that this weekend. But even since then more rocks have continued to come down keeping the area off limits. From what I have been told the now pile is already 3' - 4' high. Hike in there at your own risk. The road is clearly marked Closed To ALL!!! That includes YOU!!!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Richard N. wrote:The 12' rock pile at the west end of the tunnel was cleared on Monday the 11th. I was told about that this weekend. But even since then more rocks have continued to come down keeping the area off limits. From what I have been told the now pile is already 3' - 4' high. Hike in there at your own risk. The road is clearly marked Closed To ALL!!! That includes YOU!!!
One can see from the pictures we took last Friday (May 15) that there is indeed a substantial rock pile at the west entrance to the tunnel. There was an easy path by it, which we took. We encountered the "closed" sign only after we were through the tunnel, past the slide. Not very helpful!
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

The gate at Eaton Saddle has or had a sign on it stating the road is closed to all.
If that sign is gone then someone took it down.
I'm not surprised it would be taken down.

There are those out there that think signs do not pertain to them. They must be the "experienced " hikers who always seem to die somewhere in the forest.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Richard N. wrote:The gate at Eaton Saddle has or had a sign on it stating the road is closed to all.

There are those out there that think signs do not pertain to them. They must be the "experienced " hikers who always seem to die somewhere in the forest.
There is a sign at Eaton Saddle, although I think the "Closed to All" one is gone. The point is that a sign at Eaton Saddle does no good for someone coming from Pasadena. Eaton Saddle is well after the slide. I have never figured out how to read signs before I come to them.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Richard N. wrote:The gate at Eaton Saddle has or had a sign on it stating the road is closed to all.

They were coming from the other way.
Richard N.

Post by Richard N. »

Yes, I understand they came in from the west and granted even having a sign at Markham Saddle would stop most from continuing. But had that tunnel not been cleared, you would have freaked when you saw the original slide.
I'll try to get some photo's posted that showed the tunnel covered.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Richard N. wrote:The 12' rock pile at the west end of the tunnel was cleared on Monday the 11th. I was told about that this weekend. But even since then more rocks have continued to come down keeping the area off limits. From what I have been told the now pile is already 3' - 4' high. Hike in there at your own risk. The road is clearly marked Closed To ALL!!! That includes YOU!!!
FO, is that you?
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Mike P wrote:
FO, is that you?
We examined the rock pile carefully and did not see any big iron bar sticking out of it. :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

:lol: :lol: :lol: