Orange County High Points - Santiago and Modjeska Peaks

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Travis

Post by Travis »

Tom and I had a good hike in Orange County on Sunday, 12-16-07. Here are my GPS tracks, elevation profile and some photos. We climbed Santiago Peak and Modjeska Peaks, ascending via the Holy Jim Trail and descending the Joplin Trail.

http://www.gpsmountaineering.com/santia ... jeskapeaks
simonov

Post by simonov »

That looked like a great hike. I was just up there last month. I was thinking of doing Modjeska and Saddleback this month except Modjeska is just inside the fire closure area. I take it you didn't have any problems with rangers or JBTs?

The road to the trailhead is really unbelievable. I didn't even like doing it in my Yukon.
Nunc est bibendum
Travis

Post by Travis »

simonov wrote:That looked like a great hike. I was just up there last month. I was thinking of doing Modjeska and Saddleback this month except Modjeska is just inside the fire closure area. I take it you didn't have any problems with rangers or JBTs?

The road to the trailhead is really unbelievable. I didn't even like doing it in my Yukon.
I was not aware that Modjeska was in the closure area, there were no signs posted. We also saw lots of motorbikes riding all over the area. As for the road, it wasn't too bad, my Honda Civic did fine, just took it slow. Once I got the hang of it I actually started to have fun 4x4ing in my Civic.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nearly 20 miles... slog is a great word to describe that!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Travis wrote:As for the road, it wasn't too bad, my Honda Civic did fine, just took it slow. Once I got the hang of it I actually started to have fun 4x4ing in my Civic.
You did Trabuco Canyon Road in a Civic? That's nuts!

In the interest of full disclosure, I did it once in a Civic too -- on the way to the Holy Jim trailhead. And it was kind of fun, once I got past the fact that I was putting my car at risk with every foot. :P