SNOW - Questions, Forecasts & Reports About Snow

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Got about 2"-3" of powder last night. 8) Clear skies this morning. Don't know if we will get too much more out of this storm. :roll:
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Well, it's a start. And it's better than 0"-1" of snow I guess. :D
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Bill, thanks for the update, any snow is good snow, let's all say it together

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

By the way Bill - how did you get that baby picture of (the trojan guy no longer on this board)? You know who!

:D
Bill

Post by Bill »

lilbitmo wrote:Bill, thanks for the update, any snow is good snow, let's all say it together

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

By the way Bill - how did you get that baby picture of (the trojan guy no longer on this board)? You know who!

I actually pulled it up on Avatar from the profile menu. :D
Bill

Post by Bill »

DamOTclese wrote:I wonder if you're going to get more here shortly. :) I sure hope so!
Large flakes falling this afternoon, and starting to accumulate. 8)
Still a little warm, but I would immagine after all is said and done we will be looking at at least a foot or more by weekend if this keeps up. :D
As a general rule, if the high in LA is in the 50's snow will fall below 6000 feet. (my theory only not scientific)
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

Thanks Bill - I miss the baby face Avatar but I like the new one even better.

Keep me posted on how much has fallen by next Tuesday/Wednesday - I need to start tracking the future hike that I posted and will need conditions before I come up your way to do sections of it.

I was thinking of doing 1/2 the hike from Manker Flats over Baldy to Iron and down to Heaton Flats next weekend to get a good feel of what that section will take.

I may have to puch this back two weeks or a month if we get that much snow.

lilbitmo :D
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Lets do the collective snow dance! It's time to ski the bowl....
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

Going up tomorrow evening (Friday) and coming down Sat. Not sure how far we will go up the ski hut trail. It all depends on how much falls in the next 24 hours. I will let you know what I find ASAP.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

EManBevHills wrote:Lets do the collective snow dance! It's time to ski the bowl....
I'd be up for that. Except I'll have my snowboard. If you don't mind others tagging along, keep me posted.

glamisking wrote:Going up tomorrow evening (Friday) and coming down Sat. Not sure how far we will go up the ski hut trail. It all depends on how much falls in the next 24 hours. I will let you know what I find ASAP.
Three others and myself are heading up this evening to San G and hiking in to Dollar Lake area about 8pm. Should be fun postholing in the dark for hours on end. Doing the north face of San G in the morning and possibly bagging several others of those peaks up there.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Good dumping this mornig (18") more on the way. 8)
Started out as slush did'nt start actually snowing until sundown so what ever that means with regard to AVI danger (layers of ice, slush and snow) use caution as needed. :shock:
Enjoy :D
Dudley Heinsbergen

Post by Dudley Heinsbergen »

the snow level is at 5000 ft right now. tonight= 4000 ft (because of the instability of thunderstorms)

by monday morning it actually might snow at 3000 ft! this cold low pressure one's moving thru, maybe light snowfall

this is good...snow...finally.

i'll either be ski the bowl or skiing mt baldy on monday!
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

As planned I went up Baldy with a friend Friday evening. There was minimal snow at Manaker when we left but it started snowing HEAVILY on the way up the road and it never stopped! We camped on the ridge to the left of the bowl at 8,800 feet and it dumped at least 30" on us. The weather was horrible but it was exactly what we wanted, and we were prepared. It snowed until 6AM and we woke up to blue skies. There was 2+ feet at hut sat. AM and over a foot at back at Manaker. There is probable another 6-18 inches up there now so have fun. Winter has FINALLY returned and next week looks to be more of the same! :D

See Pictures here. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... d=68602558
It starts with the 10th picture in. With a guy standing at the waterfalls.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Glamisking - beautiful pictures. Did you guys summit? I bet this weekend, the bowl would be in good conditions for a ski or snowboard decent.
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

We were planning to head to the summit Sat. AM but decided to head downhill instead. The snow was just so deep and soft that even with MSR Denali snowshoes it was just too much. Now I wish we had but I was lacking the energy to push of for another 2-3 hours.
There were 4-6 skiers who were coming up but none of them had made any passes yet and I am sure they had a great time.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Looks like this past storm and dump of fresh snow was the first of several storms back to back to back to back. According to several weather forecasts, it looks like we are in for several storms in quick succession with each one expected to dump several feet of new snow.

You can keep up to date on this site:

http://www.socalweather.net/
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

U.S.A. Avalanche
Fatalities: 2007 - 2008
Thirty-six people died in avalanches in the US this past winter and many more had very close calls. One fatality occurred in a ski area and two occurred when snow avalanched off roofs; the other 33 fatalities were snowmobile riders, skiers, snowboarders, and climbers out enjoying a day in the backcountry.

I found this site useful to me. It reminded me of some of the things I forgot, and made me aware of some things I did not know yet. I still plan to take Avi courses, but it the mean time, The Forest Service National Avalanche Center has put down some good information. Be sure to check out the tabs towards top of page. I hope you all find this useful:

http://www.fsavalanche.org/

Post by 406 »

And a few of those last year were in the San Gab's

Post by 406 »

I think there have been >3 inbound slide fatalities this year...at places that are normally thought of as doing good control. I'm highly skeptical of Mt. Blady ski patrols avi control.
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

Awesome resource. Hopefully it will open the eyes of the less experienced climbers to the dangers during winter time. Sometime it is hard to believe that we have avyies in our mts. and it can happen to anyone. Thanks again.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

A hike up the Ski Hut Trail in winter will often provide evidence of recent avalanches. If you go on one of the Wedberg group hikes, he is fond of pointing out house-sized boulders and where they used to reside. It's an education (as is the SMI avalanche safety course).
He219

Post by He219 »

Lookin' good right now ..

EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Awwww yeah!!!!

Snow expected elast night through late Tuesday in Baldy area. I'm thinking Im getting sick, need a day off work.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... it=0&lg=en
calicokid

Post by calicokid »

Snow on high elevation, and rain and hail in Baldy village.
I was trying to take family to Manker Flats for kids snowplay. Ended up turn around due to road hazard (not icy but slushy wet road). The Honda van is too low for the snow. Big mistake was put on the cable on the tire! It made it worse to climb up those switch-back turns to Manker Flat. Those fricky rings acted like ball bearing between the slushy road and the tire.

Baldy ski mountain was forced to close around 10am due to white out condition. On the way back, huge pickup truck-size boulder just fell on the road before the tunnel and CHP closed the road after that. Glad that boulder did not hit any car.

Has to wait for another sunshine weekend to go up there again.
Bill

Post by Bill »

We are dealing with a physics problem. No place to put it anymore. :shock:
lilbitmo

Post by lilbitmo »

That's the kind of Physic's problem us Urbanites like to try to figure out!

Nice shot, is that your house or the neighbor's?

Looks like the "Death March" will need to be pushed back until some of that "Physics" melts away.

If you post an add in the penny saver LA version, I'm sure you can get some of the "Ghetto Rats" to come and haul it away - tell them it's just over the hill from Baldy Road, they"ll come. :lol:
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Bill - glad to see you're up there having some fun. After all, that is why you moved up there - right? Al that wonderful snow you have to dig out every snowfall. :lol:

You been snowshoeing around the area with all the new snow? Or you still digging your house out?
Bill

Post by Bill »

EnFuego wrote:Bill - glad to see you're up there having some fun. After all, that is why you moved up there - right? Al that wonderful snow you have to dig out every snowfall. :lol:

You been snowshoeing around the area with all the new snow? Or you still digging your house out?
I have lived here a long time and I am thinking that in terms of amount of snow, this is in the top 5. :shock:
I am getting a real workout digging out though and since I am not the tallest guy in the world, I am getting to the point where its tough to sling it to the top of the berm. :lol: :lol:
I recently picked up some snowshoes and I think I will get out on Thursday and give em a spin.
I gotta say I really do enjoy the snow but up until now have not really considered hiking or camping in it. I gotta say that I have been inspired by yours and others trip reports and am thinking of trying a trip or two of my own. 8)
I am definately interested in the death march. Looks like it will be a while before conditions will be favorable for the attempt IMO.
He219

Post by He219 »

Taco and I are breaking trail on southfork , camping around horseshoe right now , 4 feet of powder everywhere. C'mon and meet us up at Drylake the next few days!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

He219 wrote:Taco and I are breaking trail on southfork , camping around horseshoe right now , 4 feet of powder everywhere. C'mon and meet us up at Drylake the next few days!
Sounds like a blast. You on your cell phone now? Got internet reception? Talk about instant updates. I used to do that when I was at the island fishing.

Have fun boys. Wish I was there.
He219

Post by He219 »

EnFuego wrote: You on your cell phone now? Got internet reception? Talk about instant updates. I used to do that when I was at the island fishing.

Have fun boys. Wish I was there.
Yeah, 3G reception for my iphone for a while but we didn't get very far in the PoW.
Headed back a day early and well short of our mark. Next time ..