Lower altitude adventure hike ideas?

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
yoskolo

Post by yoskolo »

Howdy y'all,
I'm going hiking on Saturday with a friend and her dad. They're both into hiking in a serious way, but do not have winter gear. I need to find a route that will be exciting and fun, but also not require crampons...
Any ideas? Scrambling is cool.

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I wonder if Strawberry Peak via the Colby trailhead is snow free? That's my favorite front country scramble.

If not, you could go down into Devil's Canyon. The trail goes downstream from the trail camp for a mile or maybe two, but thereafter it's all boulder scrambling. It's all fairly low altitude, but there could be some snow/ice on the N faces of the upper section. Might want to recon it.

The S face of Lawlor (near Strawberry) is a scramble. It's all DG, not my cup of tea, but some really like it.

Mt. Lukens via either Haines Canyon (easier but more brush) or Stone Canyon (steeper, N facing, but good trail) should be snow free, particularly if you take the Haines Canyon Route.

The Dawn Mine in Millard Canyon has some nice scrambling sections over boulders and such. You can make a loop out of it by climbing the old trail up to the old rail bed (now a road) and going down the road back to the tralhead.

There are probably quite a few more options. Take a look at Robinson's Trails of the Angeles or Harrison's "Angeles Front Country" map.
MikeSash

Post by MikeSash »

Hikin_Jim wrote:I wonder if Strawberry Peak via the Colby trailhead is snow free? That's my favorite front country scramble.
Looked completely clear Sunday. Strawberry is always a good choice.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Oh, nice album cover, Alex.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Just rock scrambling, or really steep stuff?

Strawberry Peak is a classic for sure. Falling Rock canyon would be an adventure by not advisable b/c probably has a bunch of snow.

2 recent ones I've done that I've used my hands (for a little bit) were ridge hikes (up to Monrovia, and Jones SE ridge) but on dirt, no rocks).

Boulder in Santa Monicas = Zuma canyon.

But the one sticking out is something on the East fork. Bridge to Nowhere has bouldering...we got a group going up Allison Mine on Sat, that will be an adventure. Head toward Bridge to Nowhere, then veer up Allison gulch. Then we're taking some old steep trails to get up to the mine and explore - then take the old trail back to coldwater / allison saddle, then down heaton flat trail.

That last one should have everything, rock hopping, water crossings, some sort of scrambling, steep stuff, brush, mine exploration....
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

East Fork San Gabriel to the Bridge to Nowhere and then to the Narrows is a nice 12-14 mile round trip. You said they were serious hikers. Serious as in they want butt kicking steep trails? Or jsut serious as in they like the outdoors and hike often.

Bear Creek off the West Fork San Gabriel up to the Pinnacles, is a hardy trip (I think I got that right).

How about a nice Desert hike? Amboy Crater is pretty cool, with a side trip over to Kelso Dunes, which if I have my geology (ecology?) correct is one of only 3 or 4 living sand dunes in the world. It is also one of the few "singing" sand dunes as well. Really nice area with lots of little short hikes to top of dunes or nearby peaks.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Bear Creek to the pinnacles? Eh? :?:

Up R39 is Burrito Peak. It's a fun little low altitude peak (2539ft?) with some scrambling.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

TacoDelRio wrote:Bear Creek to the pinnacles? Eh? :?:
I can't remember the trail name. But I know some where north of West Fork San Gabriel, there are some small "needle" or "pinnacle" type spires that I hiked to once many, many years ago. At that time I wasn't into rock climbing, so to me, it was "oh, cool - a rock". Now, I would like to find it again. I know when you drive up Hwy 39, and when you pass the East Fork turn off and jsut before you get to the first parking area of the West Fork, you can look almost due north, and you will some rock like pinnacles. Those are the ones I'm referring too.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Only thing that comes to mind is Triplet Rocks, but that's more than a hike. That is in the right direction, though, but it's a long way in.

I'm down if you wanna go check it out.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

That might be it. As I recall, there is 2 or 3 prominent spire like peaks. But I don't remember it being a long way in. Maybe now it is, since we can't drive to Crystal Lake area.

Maybe we should volunteer to do some trail maintenance with DamOTclese. He's got keys back there. Then we ditch'em. :lol:

I'm teasing DamOT.

Ryan - let's plan it. Find it on Topo and send to me.
yoskolo

Post by yoskolo »

Thanks everyone for your responses! We're going to hit Strawberry Peak on Saturday, but now I also have a nice list of future scrambles. Let me know when you head out Ryan and David, I'm in too!
Peace to the East.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Wait, the spires near Crystal Lake?

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -Crag.html

Otherwise... :twisted:
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

TacoDelRio wrote:Wait, the spires near Crystal Lake?

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock ... -Crag.html

Otherwise... :twisted:
Sorry - those aren't them. I think I'm heading up to east fork this week, so I will take a picture from the road (thats where I usually see them) and I will post for you to see.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Taco,

I think he is referring to pk6151 of TwinPeaks east ridge...
For a distance view, I prefer the Glendora mtn road lookout.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Harumph. Either way, I'd like to give it a shot. I'm assuming this will be a mega-epic bushwhack.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

>Harumph. Either way, I'd like to give it a shot. I'm assuming this will be a mega-epic bushwhack

Getting motivated again? Cool. This particular one is near the top of my list. Yes there is bushwacking(2 ways also).
Zach

Post by Zach »

Isnt the bear creek trail closed? what hike are you guys talking about? I'm confused... but i want to go either way!
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Zach wrote:Isnt the bear creek trail closed? what hike are you guys talking about? I'm confused... but i want to go either way!
Zach - since you're in this weekend, I'll show you the spire, peaks, crags, whatever they're called this weekend.
Zach

Post by Zach »

cool, I think I know what you're talking about. I wonder if it is a pile of scree or something you could actually climb...
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Zach wrote:cool, I think I know what you're talking about. I wonder if it is a pile of scree or something you could actually climb...
Yes.