Icehouse Canyon to Timber Mountain Trip Report

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
anthonysaudiojournal

Post by anthonysaudiojournal »

Did a day hike from Icehouse Canyon to Icehouse Saddle then on to Timber Mountain yesterday Jan 27th 2009. Conditions were great but a little chilly. 35 degrees at the trailhead when we started. Most of the snow has melted and had nice trail conditions until we reached Icehouse Saddle where some snow remained. Not too icy yet and clear skies made for an enjoyable trip. We only used crampons on the way down from Timber in the late afternoon but could have gone without them. We took them off just past the saddle.

We got a big surprise when we discovered the we had climbed Chapman Mountain instead of Timber Mountain until we figured it out.

We only saw one guy walking three dogs and another two ladies with their huge pawed black Lab. And one Asian guy hiking solo. Hardly the crowd I expected. Great views across to the Baldy Bowl and nearby peaks.

We have done lots of peaks in the southland and somehow Icehouse Canyon was always put on the back burner. I never knew it was so beautiful. I'd love to ride the ski lift to the notch and do the Three T's down thru Icehouse Canyon for a loop in the spring.

Anthony
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Thanks for the TR. The 3 T's are worth doing as are Ontario Pk, Big Horn Pk, and Cucamonga Pk. If you want an extra challenge, you could do Etiwanda Pk, but Etiwanda is a bit of a let down IMO.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

Sounds like a very nice hike. I love when the trails are uncrowded. I haven't done Icehouse Canyon since I was in my low teens. I've wanted to do it again for a long time, but same as you, this trip has always mananged to slip to the back of my list.

Maybe I'll knock this off my list by end of February.

BTW - I think this should be on the Trip Reports forum. :lol:
Liz

Post by Liz »

Hey EnFuego! Let's do Icehouse Together sometime soon! I love that area! I haven't been there for a few months. Cheers!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Liz wrote:Hey EnFuego! Let's do Icehouse Together sometime soon! I love that area! I haven't been there for a few months. Cheers!
I think you'll need to do the Cucamonga-Etiwanda-Bighorn-Ontario-Sugarloaf route in order to be satisfied! 8)
Liz

Post by Liz »

Good call, HJ! I may want to wait for ice to melt before I push onto Ontario. I don't mind using crampons on some ice, but I don't want too much. Oh, how I need an ice axe.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Liz wrote:Good call, HJ! I may want to wait for ice to melt before I push onto Ontario. I don't mind using crampons on some ice, but I don't want too much. Oh, how I need an ice axe.
Actually, there may not be too much ice on Ontario's N face if this heat keeps up. I've seen recent TR's about nearby spots that say the snow starts around 7500' or 8000' and that it's patchy, not full coverage. It might be a bit different on Ontario since Ontario has a lot of shady spots on its N face.

OK, so, if it's epic you want, it's epic you'll get. :) This is a serious route, not a joke. I've seen the TR post. Check out this map of the Eastern High Country. Park one car at the Icehouse Canyon Trailhead ("Z") and then drive a second car up to the road's end and start hiking at "A", the Baldy ski lift (extra credit if you take the road or an XC route), and follow the marked points in alphabetical order summiting first Thunder ("E"), then Telegraph ("F") and Timber ("I"); head down to Ice House Saddle ("J"), and then head over to Ontario Pk ("N"). After Ontario Peak, follow the ridge east to Bighorn ("P"), drop down to Bighorn-Cucamonga saddle ("R"), and then ascend first Cucamonga ("T") and then Etiwanda ("U"). After Etiwanda, head back to Ice House Saddle ("J") and follow the trail down to the Icehouse Canyon Trailhead ("Z") where you parked the second car. That oughta do ya.

I believe that in the TR I saw that the individual did the peaks in a different order and also did Sugarloaf, but I think the type of steep downhill XC required for Sugarloaf might be a bit much, even for you, Liz. :)

EDIT: Some epic TR's from the area:
http://www.mt-whitney.info/viewtopic.php?t=2455
http://www.mt-whitney.info/viewtopic.php?t=2419
http://www.mt-whitney.info/viewtopic.php?t=2316

Comment: There are 15 peaks in the Eastern High Country around the San Antonio and Icehouse Canyon areas (see list below).
Iron ("Big Iron")
West Baldy
Baldy
Pine
Dawson
Wright
Harwood
Thunder
Telegraph
Timber
Sugarloaf
Ontario
Bighorn
Cucamonga
Etiwanda
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

Thanks for the report - it's nice to get updates on trail conditions.