Monte Cristo Loop 2009-01-10

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Looks like good stuff, Joe. I see you guys aren't "allergic" to brush on all these hikes. :)
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

yeah and I even usually wear shorts.

however next week will be the ridge up to Monrovia Peak. that is seriously some annoying leg-high brush and even I will be wearing pants. Learned the hard way last time.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

lol

The 100% nylon long pants aren't bad. I kind of like the REI "Sahara" zip off leg ones. You've got to be careful that the zipper doesn't drag on your knees though.

In all brush, be careful of ticks. Haven't seen too many lately, but Lyme Disease ticks have made it out to California.
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Hikin_Jim wrote: In all brush, be careful of ticks. Haven't seen too many lately, but Lyme Disease ticks have made it out to California.
Thankfully, I haven't seen many ticks lately either, but last March I went down Devils Canyon and I got several on me on that one hike. Honestly it scared the crap out of me, they just look like nasty little blood sucking insects :x Luckly though, I saw them as soon as they fell on me and I sent them flying with a single wack from my trekking poles. After that it kept my nerves on edge the rest of the hike and still keeps me cautious when considering off trail hiking where going through alot of brush is involved. To this day my gf still refuses to hike down Devils Canyon because of my expierence with ticks :shock:
Also DON'T FORGET ABOUT RATTLESNAKES when your hiking through dense brush. Last summer (not really sure of the date) I almost stepped on one that was laying on the other side of a downed tree in the upper east fork area. I saw it just as I was about to put my foot down right on top of it. :shock: We both freaked out,I jumped back and the snake quickly slid under the tree. After that I couldn't stop thinking about what if I would have got bitten by it, I was at least 4 miles from the car, I had a snake bite kit, but still it would have been really bad!!!!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

brian90620 wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: In all brush, be careful of ticks. Haven't seen too many lately, but Lyme Disease ticks have made it out to California.
I had a snake bite kit, but still it would have been really bad!!!!
They actually don't recommend using snake bite kits anymore. They've pretty much been proven to not work and they may even cause more tissue damage.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

So what's the best thing to do with a snake bite?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Seriously? Keep the victim calm and call SAR. Antivenom is the only effective treatment for a rattlesnake bite. The victim needs to be evacuated immediately and taken to a hospital that has antivenom. The best way to reach SAR is typically 911, ask for the sheriff's dept, and ask for the SAR coordinator once you get ahold of the sheriff's dept. Always have someone stay with the victim keeping the victim as calm as possible. If safe and practical to do so, have the victim lie down, keeping the wound below the level of the heart. Don't allow everyone to cluster around (talk about the opposite of calm); just have one person stay with the victim. If you can't reach SAR via a conventional phone call, remember that a text message will often get out where a voice call cannot. Text sends very rapidly and only needs a few seconds of connection to a cell tower whereas voice needs a continuous connection. You could text multiple friends saying "snake bite, need help, UTM = XXX XXX, pls text reply" or something like that.

If you can't reach SAR by cell (due to lack of coverage), then things get a bit more complicated. You have to be the best judge of the situation, factoring in things like terrain, wx, remoteness, etc. Some options:
-Obviously if you have a PLB or a SPOT, now would be the time to use it.
-Send two fast hikers to a nearby high spot to make the call. Make sure they have GPS coords of the victim's location. Have one stay at the high spot to be your contact and the second comes back to let you know they've contacted SAR.
-Send someone fast back to the trailhead and have them drive to somewhere that they can call SAR. Make sure they have GPS coords of the victim's location. You'd really want to think about this one if you have only one car at the trailhead. It's usually best to send people in two's if you have the manpower.
-Evacuate the victim yourself. The victim generally shouldn't walk except as a last resort. A poncho or clothing can be used to build a stretcher or you can use two people, one person carring the victim at his legs and one carrying the victim at his shoulders. Rotate your carriers if possible. Not a very fun option to evacuate a victim yourself.

You can probably think up other creative otions or combinations of options, but basically it's a judgement call based on the situation.

The good news is that rattlesnake bites are not common. Most people who get bit were messing with the snake. Still, always be careful where you put your hands and feet, especially if stepping over logs or onto brush piles. Not a bad idea to get a set of high tops if you do a lot of cross country. A pair of leather gloves isn't such a bad idea either if you're using your hands to pull yourself up, part brush, etc.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

brian90620 wrote:Honestly it scared the crap out of me, they just look like nasty little blood sucking insects :x
Actually....they are nasty little blodd sucking insects. :lol:
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

yeah, so basically get them to a hospital ASAP!

I don't know if I could carry Taco down the ridge up Monrovia peak if he were to get bitten. Maybe I'll carry a sled for that sort of thing :P
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hikin_Jim wrote: If you can't reach SAR via a conventional phone call, remember that a text message will often get out where a voice call cannot. Text sends very rapidly and only needs a few seconds of connection to a cell tower whereas voice needs a continuous connection. You could text multiple friends saying "snake bite, need help, UTM = XXX XXX, pls text reply" or something like that.
That is a good tip! 8)
I go with a group annually to the jungle in Cost Rica where they have a variety of venomous snakes including the Ferdelance, and the Bushmaster. For a while we were taking antivenom with us, but the correct dose is so varied(IV vs. IM) and the side affects (allergic reaction etc. Antivenom made from horse serum) can be tough to deal with, especially in an outdoor setting. I think it is best to prepare for evacuation if you are within a reasonable distance from help. We are lucky in this country especially So Cal. where we are only a helo ride away from help(weather permitting).
Enjoy yourself, and appreciate the outdoors but be prepared. Don't hike alone, if you can avoid it. Watch where you step, and don't stick your hands where you can't see them. 8)
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

wrote:yeah, so basically get them to a hospital ASAP!
Yep, keep 'em calm and evac ASAP. That's pretty much it.
wrote:I don't know if I could carry Taco down the ridge up Monrovia peak if he were to get bitten. Maybe I'll carry a sled for that sort of thing :P
Nah, just carry a really really big tortilla to slide him out on. :)