Mt. Wilson Trail 1-11-09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Eric and I did the Mt. Wilson Trail today. It was a really nice day -- calm, T-shirt weather the whole time -- temperatures in the 50s to 70s -- and clear skies. We started at 1:30, got to the gazebo at 3:45, and were back at 5:45. From the top we could see Catalina and San Clemente islands pretty clearly. In fact, we could even see San Nicholas (not Saint Nicholas -- we saw him a couple of weeks ago). In the other directions, San Jacinto and San Gorgonio were clearly visible in addition to the usual Baldy peaks.

All in all, it was a poor day for both of us to forget cameras. However, we did. :oops:

Note added later -- San Nicholas Island is 100 miles from Mt. Wilson. Santa Barbara Island is much smaller but only 75 miles away in generally the same direction. There was a magical day on Strawberry Peak a few years back when we saw both of them clearly. We saw one or the other today.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Liz

Post by Liz »

Did you guys actually do the entire Mt, Wilson trail out and back on 4.25 hours??? Wow! I thought I was a fast hiker...but not compared to you, if that was your round trip time. Your buddy Jeff S once told me I was the female version of you...but I'm afraid not!!
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

Liz wrote:Did you guys actually do the entire Mt, Wilson trail out and back on 4.25 hours??? Wow! I thought I was a fast hiker...but not compared to you, if that was your round trip time. Your buddy Jeff S once told me I was the female version of you...but I'm afraid not!!
That was the time for the whole thing. Try following Eric up a hill sometime, though. You'll find yourself really motoring. (I tend to blame him a lot.) :P
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Alan: IF ( :wink: ) you had a picture of the island you could easily pick out which one it was by drawing a straight line on google earth or whatever. From Gleason today I was clearly able to see Santa Barbara Island and thought I could see something in the vicinity of San Nicholas but it could have easily been a random dark area on the horizon. I confirmed what I saw by drawing a straight line from Gleason to each of the islands - Santa Barbara was slightly to the left of Condor Jr. and Nicholas was slightly to the right of Condor Jr. San Clemente was hidden by Catalina from Gleason but is not from Wilson and further east.
AlanK

Post by AlanK »

HikeUp wrote:Alan: IF ( :wink: ) you had a picture of the island you could easily pick out which one it was by drawing a straight line on google earth or whatever. From Gleason today I was clearly able to see Santa Barbara Island and thought I could see something in the vicinity of San Nicholas but it could have easily been a random dark area on the horizon. I confirmed what I saw by drawing a straight line from Gleason to each of the islands - Santa Barbara was slightly to the left of Condor Jr. and Nicholas was slightly to the right of Condor Jr. San Clemente was hidden by Catalina from Gleason but is not from Wilson and further east.
Yes, a picture would be worth a thousand words.