Bow Hunting question

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

12-31-2008: I was hiking along the Winter Creek firebreak (the ridge that separates Little Santa Anita Canyon and Santa Anita Canyon) and ran across 3 bow hunters. They said they followed a buck for a bit and after that they went off after another deer. Maybe they were just practicing or something but isn't bow hunting season over with?

A trio of Elmer Fudds chasing a buck (which I never saw)...

After another deer (which I never saw) in the other direction...
Terry Morse

Post by Terry Morse »

I believe that the San Gabes are in hunting zone D-11 and here are the bow hunting season dates from the DFG site:

§361. Archery Deer Hunts.

10) Zone D-11.
(A) Area: Those portions of Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties, within a line beginning at the intersection of Interstate 5 and Highway 138, south of Gorman; east on Highway 138 to Highway 14; south on Highway 14 to Palmdale and Highway 138; east on Highways 138 and 18 to Interstate 15; south on interstates 15 and 15E to Interstate 10; west on Interstate 10 to Interstate 405; north on Interstates 405 and 5 to the point of beginning.
(B) Season: The season in Zone D-11 shall open on the second Saturday in October and extend for 30 consecutive days.

So, yes, deer bow hunting season ended in November.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks Terry.

LOL at this...Stop Elmer Fudd
You know who Elmer is:

* He's the gun nut clown that you find hiding in the bush next to the canyon highway holding a high powered rifle in one hand and a carton of beer in the other, waiting for Bambi to come walking down the highway, pretending he's hunting.

* And even if Elmer does manage to shoot a deer without winding up shooting at rocks out of boredom, himself, other Elmers, hikers, bikers, and campers, even if Elmer does manage to kill something other than some kid hiking, Elmer's the gun nut who proudly proclaims he's "putting meat on the kitchen table" -- while endangering everyone and everything around him within a two mile radius.
disclaimer: i do not endorse, agree, or disagree with the content of this site. i just laugh at it.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

From the DFG website:
To Report a Poacher or Polluter
If you witness a poaching or polluting incident or any fish and wildlife violation, or have information about such a violation, immediately dial the toll free CalTIP number: 1 888 DFG-CALTIP (888 334-2258), 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Might not be a bad number to add to your cell phone.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

DamOTclese wrote:I really don't like "hunters" so I don't even acknowledge them when they say "hello" any more. I used to talk with them, usually when I would sit and rest on the side of Highway 39, but I quickly came to the conclusion that most -- if not all -- had mental problems of different varities.

I mean they're recreational killers, most of whom were drunk, some of whom were completely lost, often less than a quarter of a mile from the highway.

Are you sure that bow hunting season has ended?
So many ways to view this... I could say the same about so many others.

I've killed and eaten many creatures, but I also pick up trash and help some animals cross the road. I even avoid stepping on insects and other invertebrates that aren't snails. I must be REALLY nuts. :lol:

Everyone's got problems.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I'm not really disgusted, just really pissed off. I do pick up garbage occasionally. A year or so ago, I wanted to get my old ALICE rucksack, load it in my truck with my other gear, and do a two day trip up to Stockton Flat. Climb one day, then get the empty ruck and use it to pick up all the garbage that's up there. That area looks so beautiful, but the people that go there trash it. What's wrong with people?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

for real.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

I agree.

I don't pick up diapers or used condoms or other stuff like that. not worth my health.

Dang city folk.
simonov

Post by simonov »

DamOTclese wrote: Maybe I'm wrong but wasn't there a time when the type of person who took the effort to hike was the type of person who did not litter and otherwise leave their garbage behind?
You are wrong. Until the seventies the backcountry looked like a giant dump, people left their trash and garbage everywhere. "We are in the wilderness," went the logic, "It doesn't matter if we leave our trash behind."

It is much cleaner now than it was 40 years ago.

People have to be trained to pick up after themselves. In America, this training began in a widespread manner in the sixties. Before the sixties, anywhere in the US where people forgathered looked almost as bad as Tijuana. And the highway shoulders were filthy.
Nunc est bibendum
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

simonov wrote:
DamOTclese wrote: Maybe I'm wrong but wasn't there a time when the type of person who took the effort to hike was the type of person who did not litter and otherwise leave their garbage behind?
You are wrong. Until the seventies the backcountry looked like a giant dump, people left their trash and garbage everywhere. "We are in the wilderness," went the logic, "It doesn't matter if we leave our trash behind."

It is much cleaner now than it was 40 years ago.

People have to be trained to pick up after themselves. In America, this training began in a widespread manner in the sixties. Before the sixties, anywhere in the US where people forgathered looked almost as bad as Tijuana. And the highway shoulders were filthy.
Interesting. My experience has been different. In the 60's and 70's I remember a lot of the backcountry areas were really in good shape. True, people would leave grills set up for the next guy in commonly used tent sites, but I don't regard such grills as trash exactly. Now, I'm talking about areas out of the tourist zone (the tourist zone extends to about 8 - 10 miles from a trail head). Hiking longer distances was more left up to the guys who were true hiking and BP'ing afficianados. What you're saying about road served areas is completely true though.

Now if you go back pre-war, then yes it was very common in the 1800's and early 1900's for people to dump trash at cabin sites, mines, etc. out in the wilderness.
ClamberAbout

Post by ClamberAbout »

Singapore doesn't have a problem with people littering.
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Back to the original subject - those hunters probably had A-31 tags.
Archery only, either sex, 9-27-08 to 12-31-08

Would have been their last chance.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Rumpled wrote:Back to the original subject - those hunters probably had A-31 tags.
Archery only, either sex, 9-27-08 to 12-31-08

Would have been their last chance.
Thanks Rump. How anyone can figure out the hunting rules is beyond me. I had no clue if they were legal or not and frankly didn't care - clearly I saw them before they saw me. They didn't act guilty - they were wary of me only because they had left a bunch of gear unattended as they ran off after a buck and stopped as they happened to see me near their gear. I waved to indicate I knew what the situation was and the chase continued! They were all under 20 would be my guess.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

ClamberAbout wrote:Singapore doesn't have a problem with people littering.
lol. better not chew any gum!