Angeles Crest Highway (CA-2)

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Those aren't chocolate chips..
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

:lol:
Sewellymon

Post by Sewellymon »

this ain't my forum, i got no "skin in the game"...

... but yikes. i read one post from Fight On and it's clear the dude is a TOOL.

i deleted saying that previously since i was tryin to be N-I-C-E

but there is no reasoning with a Tool

and yea, I'd stealth camp at the base of the Crystal Lake crag and not give a rat's a*ss what anybody thought, nor would anybody ever know.

matter of fact, i believe in stealth camping. worse yet, i've ridden my mtn bike on the PCT!! heck, there were times in the 80's and 90's when i even rode my mtn bike in wilderness areas. oh the horror. i am a pox on the forest.

if memory serves, Snow Creek is not exactly private property. what ~ So Cal Edison ? It's some Tool - of - a- Caretaker who gets his dick in a wad when his barking dog gets his dick in a wad

Now I DO draw the line. Fer instance, while the climbing ban (and hiking ban) on Williamson Rock might be a crock, I would discourage anybody from climbing there. But hiking or riding in the Crystal Lake drainage??? Is there ANY point in keeping responsible users out? Other than not exposing pedestrians/ cyclists to whatever hazards exist on highway 39 when trucks and heavy machinery go by... . so, it SHOULD be ok if you enter the drainage from above. Thus, to me... it is.

so yea. I will take common sense over the rule of certain stupid laws. At least as it pertains to wild places in the mountains.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

I suppose its viewed as a weakness/lack of maturity whatever you want to call it. Nothing to be self-righteous about though. For myself, so far its been whatever is the prettiest/funest is what I have aspired to....sometimes there are other ethics as well, depending if one ascribes to a certain community...but anywho I recognize the value in things I never saw as really important,,like volunteerism,impact, closure areas, and the importance of human life to that degree...and even to this day havent really done much of that stuff...but as risk of sounding really soft, we are all in this together.

For example, is the entity of search & rescue something to be scoffed/smirked at? imo, they are critical...and believe me, its been said of me I have way too much self-confidence and belief in self-responsibility...when they show up, to borrow a term, its glorius...it aint no cold day...anyways are there no hikes for them to go on? nothing to do so they volunteer?..I mean a closed area is a closed area for the sake of the community, not one individual. Theres never going to be a logical argument that prevents a self-responsible individual from doing anything...whether it be the experimental forest or life in general. But the force behind 'following the rules' is community and going through the entanglements of it...we all at some point say Im not part of some community or I never signed up for this...but hopefully community works because if not that would not be good.

Tool? ah! I dont need Crystal Lake! Believe me, crystal lake doesnt even make a list of importance to me...but it does to the community. Weve seen decision making left up to individuals and a weak community in Crystal Lake...its dead now...and there are places I feel are important...they dont make most lists....more than one place only sees less than 10 visits a year(if that)...but I hope they are important to the community.

Off the soapbox for now.... 8)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

:lol:
Sewellymon

Post by Sewellymon »

AW wrote:I suppose, ...

...Off the soapbox for now.... 8)
huh?
mtnfox

Post by mtnfox »

:shock: Um, if nobody minds, I thought I'd post something about the original topic of this thread. :lol:

From the Wrightwoodcalif site today:

Yesterday, January 2nd, 30 concrete trucks delivered, via CHP support, the concrete to complete pouring the bridge. The bridge has now been poured and is awaiting curing time. They have pipes with hot water and warming blankets so as to keep the concrete warm and allow it to cure. This could take between 2 weeks to 21 days.

The only thing left is pouring the aprons that connect the highway to the bridge and cement railings.

They will finish the bridge this month, despite the weather (albeit 3 months late), though it will not open to the public until next spring.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Thanks for the update.

Fresh concrete does not like cold weather. Let's hope they used the right admixtures and the hot water pipes, etc. allow it to cure properly, or else they'll be demolishing the entire deck this spring! It may be hard to believe but CalTrans does know what they are doing when it comes to concrete placement - let's hope they are overseeing the contractor properly.
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

HEY HEY, no posting about what this damn topic is about, damnit! :)

Thanks for the update.
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Here she is...

Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Sorry Folks, I meant the other East.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Elwood wrote:Sorry Folks, I meant the other East.
LOL.

Thanks for the pictures. Looks good for the road to Islip to open up as soon as the snow melts.
EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

purty kool!!!

Post by 406 »

Did you drive to Vincent gap? If so what day?
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

I walked from the gate at Grassy Hollow this past Saturday hoping to start up B-P. Alas it was a bit too deep so I just kept walking.

Post by 406 »

^^^ok thanks, good to know.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I don't know if anyone is headed up Angeles Crest Hwy this weekend, but Caltrans has a sign near the ACH exit on the 210 that says "Angeles Crest Feb 21 Expect Delays." I have no idea what that's about.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Amgen bicycles race

"Our department is leading the way on security,” said Sargeant Armenta. “We’re closing Angeles Crest Highway for northbound traffic at 12:30 p.m. and closing the gate at the bottom. We’ll then sweep for southbound traffic and the racers should arrive by 1 p.m.”

Spectators are allowed to park on the turnouts along the ACH, but are required to get a parking daypass, or an Adventure Pass. Passes can be purchased at any ranger’s station or the local Sport Chalet or REI.

If a spectator parks without a pass, he or she could receive a citation. Cars in the roadway during the race are subject to tow."
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

The Tour of California Bike Race is going over there on Saturday.
I'll be camping just south of Acton and hopefully watching as they summit Mill Creek Summit.
I've never been there; if my plan works I'll be able to scout it out Fri afternoon.

Anyone got an idea of the snow level there currently?
In my adventures I'll be near Pacifico, Gleason and Magic Mt I think.
Any good info on short hikes?
I'll have my dogs and the older one can only do a mile and a half total or so.
Bill

Post by Bill »

Rumpled wrote:The Tour of California Bike Race is going over there on Saturday.
I'll be camping just south of Acton and hopefully watching as they summit Mill Creek Summit.
I've never been there; if my plan works I'll be able to scout it out Fri afternoon.

Anyone got an idea of the snow level there currently?
In my adventures I'll be near Pacifico, Gleason and Magic Mt I think.
Any good info on short hikes?
I'll have my dogs and the older one can only do a mile and a half total or so.
Are you staying at Thousand Trails or one of the other camp grounds? The PCT crosses Soledad at approximately LA Co. Fire (inmate)camp 11. The snow level is at or around Aliso Canyon and Angeles Forest. A little over 4,100 ft I think. Hike-up did Mt Emma recently and I think that sets out just off Angeles Forest at Mt Emma Rd. 2.78 mi. one way with a 1900 ft elevation gain. Have fun. 8)
Rumpled

Post by Rumpled »

Bill wrote: Are you staying at Thousand Trails or one of the other camp grounds? The PCT crosses Soledad at approximately LA Co. Fire (inmate)camp 11. The snow level is at or around Aliso Canyon and Angeles Forest. A little over 4,100 ft I think. Hike-up did Mt Emma recently and I think that sets out just off Angeles Forest at Mt Emma Rd. 2.78 mi. one way with a 1900 ft elevation gain. Have fun. 8)
Yes, I'll be at 1000 Trails - never been to this one.
Thanks for the PCT info, didn't think of that.
I did see Hike-ups post; I'm thinking about that one; probably beyond my 12 year old arthritic lab's range.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

If you're at Mill Creek Summit, Mt. Pacifico is a nice hike, but there will be a lot of snow.

Post by 406 »

In the past couple years the state (?) has plowed hwy 2 between the closed gate at Vincent gap and Dawson Saddle. Anyone know if that is the case this year or if the road is free of snow?
EManBevHills

Post by EManBevHills »

Earlier in the season it wasn't plowed.
Made a nice ski on the skinnies.
But then the bridge wasn't finished either.....

:twisted:

Post by 406 »

Thanks. I have found it both plowed and unplowed at various times in past winters. Maybe I will call the forest service or cal trans.
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

I was driving back from a hike saturday up aroud Chilao. on the way back, about 1/4 before Colby Canyon we passed a wiped out car that must have hit some dirt, spun around and over the edge and suck on the incline.

dumbass was lucky it wasn't worse

EnFuego

Post by EnFuego »

I wonder if that was the guy I cut off? :lol:
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Ouch!
mtnfox

Post by mtnfox »

Supposedly the road is on schedule to be open around May 20th. :D
brian90620

Post by brian90620 »

Does anyone happen to know when the Angeles Crest Highway is going to reopen between Islip Saddle and Vincent Gap. I heard from a ranger at the Grassy Hollow Visitor Center that opening day should be this month. Then I asked another ranger on Friday and he said end of summer. :?