Baldy Waterfall Scramble 11-24-07

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
graham

Post by graham »

Baldy Waterfall Scramble 11-24-07

I scrambled up the Baldy Creek via the waterfall to the Ski Hut. This involved some class 3 & 4 sections, some icy rocks, and passing by the old Gold Ridge Mine about ½ mile below the Ski Hut. Some old iron wheel (rock crusher?) that probably weighs a couple tons is at the site.

From the Ski Hut, I hiked up the normal trail to Mt Baldy. It was pretty breezy and cold on top. I could see the Malibu smoke plume from the summit.

Overall it’s a pretty good scramble by SoCal standards.

Here are some photos,
http://grahamcracker.myphotoalbum.com/v ... m98&page=1

Cheers,
RickG
Rob

Post by Rob »

Nice photos. :)
Taco
Snownado survivor

Post by Taco »

Nice pics Rick! Ah, how I wish that whole thing would ice up. 8)
Augie

Post by Augie »

Good job, Rick. Did you go solo? Did you take a rope?
AW~

Post by AW~ »

nice photos, surprised it was iced.
graham

Post by graham »

Thanks all,

It was pretty cold early on Sat morning, so the ice may have just formed from the previous night. There were patches of ice all the way up. This made it a little tricky and couple of times I mistakenly stepped on what I thought was a wet rock when it actually had a thin layer of ice. The slippery stuff made it extra fun :)

Augie, Yes solo, no rope. I’ve done it once before solo with a rope (8mm x 30M), and knew that I wouldn’t need a rope. But keep in mind, with a dry year and low flow in the creek it makes it easier to navigate around each little waterfall or stream crossing. If there were a stronger water flow it may force a higher and harder line and a rope might be useful.

Also, climbing up the left side on the last waterfall requires crossing some pretty unstable terrain. You can avoid this nastiness, by ascending further to the left and head up a scree slope to get above the last waterfall.

Cheers,
RickG
glamisking

Post by glamisking »

how long did it take you to get to the ski hut? Sounds like a fun alternative to the ski hut trail.
Travis

Post by Travis »

we are thinking about doing Baldy Bowl this weekend and hiking up the waterfall. Anyone have any idea what the conditions would be like now with the snow? Also, any idea how long the snow in the blowl will stay frozen and good for climbing? We don't want to waste too much time in the waterfall while the snow turns soft.

thanks,